Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Eir (Broadband)

Options
  • 12-07-2018 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi, my contract with Virgin ends next week and I wanted to cancel then and switch to Eir for broadband. We previously had Vodafone broadband, so there's a phone line already installed. I was just wondering if I might as well make the order for a new broadband package with Eir now? I presume it takes some time for it to process and want to minimise the switch-over time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

Yes, if you had Vodafone before then you should be able to switch to Eir without any issues. Just don't forget that Virgin and Eir use completely different lines. First make sure you speed check your address here: https://www.eir.ie/broadband

Because I've seen cases where Virgin gives up to 360 Mbps speed. While Eir gave up to 5 Mbps speed because of ancient line. You should get message "Speeds of up to ** Mb are available at your home.". You judge from there if you are happy with it.

If you are happy, then continue on. You have asked can you place order now to reduce outage times. Remember that Virgin are nasty, they won't listen to Eir that you want to move. Virgin demands you to give them 30 days notice (so they can charge you another bill), and to have a chance in convincing you to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

So would Eir and Vodafone have different phone line sockets even? The one that was used for Vodafone is new enough. There's another couple of sockets in the house that look ancient. 60mb seems to be the max I can get with Eir according to the link. I wonder if that's because of the house line quality or the area? I'd have expected faster in Athlone. It'll be painful going from 250mb to that but its all I need really.

And I forgot about 30 days notice, so I'll have to leave off ordering for a bit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

No, Vodafone is same as Eir. If speaking in simple terms there are three main lines you can get broadband from. Exact speed is unique per household.

Old Eir Copper Line (up to 100 Mbps) - This is your 60 Mbps line that you just checked. It's the most popular home broadband solution in Ireland as almost every house has at least old copper line. Even though it's Eir's, they do rent it to Sky and Vodafone who sell their own broadband through this line. Not everyone is as lucky as you or me, some get only 5 Mbps out of their lines yet pay same price.

Virgin Media Fibre Line (up to 360 Mbps) - Amazing speed for competitive price, exclusive only to Virgin Media previously known as UPC. But unfortunately outside of Dublin a huge portion of houses are not Virgin Media enabled yet. You have to have Virgin/UPC socket in the house to get them.

New Eir Fibre Line (up to 1000 Mbps) - This is the major undertaking that Eir is investing around the country, and I hugely respect them for it. As previously stated maximum  theoretical speed is up to 1000 Mbps as long as you can afford that specific plan. Most of people will be happy with the cheapest 150 Mbps option. You can check progress on fibre rollout at your specific address here: https://fibrerollout.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1 garhick

Hi, I placed an order with Eir for broadband on the 4th July and was given an installation date of the 13th July (AM), I called to have it changed to PM, no problem.
    I took a half day Friday for the install, no one showed up. Called 1901, was put through to KN, who told me Eir had changed the appointment to the 18th??? KN then changed it to the 17th for me.
    I called again this morning to confirm my appointment for the 17th... no Eir have moved it to the 20th, no explanation given.
    KN moved it back to the 17th for me....
    WHAT IS GOING ON? WHY ARE MY APPOINTMENTS BEING MOVED WITHOUT COMMUNICATION????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

garhick wrote: »
    Hi, I placed an order with Eir for broadband on the 4th July and was given an installation date of the 13th July (AM), I called to have it changed to PM, no problem.
    I took a half day Friday for the install, no one showed up. Called 1901, was put through to KN, who told me Eir had changed the appointment to the 18th??? KN then changed it to the 17th for me.
    I called again this morning to confirm my appointment for the 17th... no Eir have moved it to the 20th, no explanation given.
    KN moved it back to the 17th for me....
    WHAT IS GOING ON? WHY ARE MY APPOINTMENTS BEING MOVED WITHOUT COMMUNICATION????
    Hi garhick 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've been having and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Please feel free to PM me your full name and account number, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Advertisement
Advertisement