Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 young kids, 1 family car - logistical nightmare or workable?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Plenty of z4s on the market- we have one! Not sure why you feel it is a now or never deal (in fact you can buy ours in a year or two if you want it!).

We have a second baby on the way in the autumn. The z4 is just a toy for my husband, although you can disable the passenger airbag so he has taken our toddler in it before. The z4 lives in his parents house though as we have no use for it in Dublin - instead we use our family car. Neither of us have to drive to work though. I imagine it would be more difficult if you both commute.

It's the hardtop version though. I've looked into a disabling the airbag and unfortunetly it can't be done in this model as the key switch to disable it is not on the car. The retro fit is no longer available either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Do you both drive to and from work? What is public transport like where you live?

Think about times when being limited to one car wouls be difficult. What would you do if say one kid is in creche and gets sick - but the parent with the family car can't pick them up? Or if the family car breaks down or needs to go in for repairs? Or if one of you is taking one kids to an appointment or a party or is out for the day or whatever? Would it be an issue for the other parent and kid to be housebound?

Do you both drive to and from work? What is public transport like where you live?

Think about times when being limited to one car wouls be difficult. What would you do if say one kid is in creche and gets sick - but the parent with the family car can't pick them up? Or if the family car breaks down or needs to go in for repairs? Or if one of you is taking one kids to an appointment or a party or is out for the day or whatever? Would it be an issue for the other parent and kid to be housebound?

My wife cycles to work and I drive. At the moment, my wife drives to creche and leaves the car there before cycling to work in the morning. This plan will continue when sprog 2 comes along. I usually pick them up in the afternoon by walking over to the creche to pick up and collect the car outside so I can do if child sick also. If the car breaks down, we can rent one for a few days or take a loan of my parents car worst case as they rarely use it.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It's really your wife you need to be making the decision with, and convincing. Why is she not convinced? It sounds like you don't have a while lot of use for 1 car, so maybe she feels a second car is an unnecessary expense at the moment. I think 2 seater isn't an issue really, as you will have a car that fits you all. At the moment you have 1 car, and I'm sure if that broke down you'd manage somehow with borrowing, or renting, or taxis or whatever. So, does your wife have an issue with a second car, or is it with this particular car?

It's really your wife you need to be making the decision with, and convincing. Why is she not convinced? It sounds like you don't have a while lot of use for 1 car, so maybe she feels a second car is an unnecessary expense at the moment. I think 2 seater isn't an issue really, as you will have a car that fits you all. At the moment you have 1 car, and I'm sure if that broke down you'd manage somehow with borrowing, or renting, or taxis or whatever. So, does your wife have an issue with a second car, or is it with this particular car?

We definitely need a 2nd car so its mainly the flexibility of having 2 cars that can take at least 1 kid forward facing. Public transport is standard enough for Dublin. Ive chatted to 2 colleagues of mine with 3 kids and 2 cars and they say they never really needed to put the kids in the 2nd car. From chatting to them and reading here, I think the crux of the matter is how close to services we are that we use frequently and thankfully we are close (i.e. within walking distance) to schools, creche, shops, banks, pharmacies and the local GP is about 1.5km away so my gut says for 1.5 years we will be fine hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have two children who are 18 months and both drive to work. And we live in a rural area. we rarely need to use the second car with the boys intil now at least.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    We definitely need a 2nd car ....

But if the car is parked outside the creche all day, and you can walk to collect it if needed, then why do you definitely need a 2nd car? What is your wife's objection?

There is a difference between needing something, and wanting something. And if you want something, and can easily afford it, then that's fine. Lots of us have stuff we want, but don't necessarily need.

You seem to be trying really hard to convince us that you should buy this car, it's not us you should be convincing. Whether you buy it or not will have zero impact on our lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

We both drive to work. Have 1 kid and 1 on the way. Wife changed hers for a bigger car already and I am looking at changing from a largish saloon to an estate. Probably different in our case as generally my wife drops son off and I collect as I start and finish earlier.

Personally I’d love a lotus Elise. Wanted one forever and looked at one before I bought my current car. Planning on having a kid the Elise just made no sense. (Still trying to convince her we need a 3rd car for weekends 😀)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Are you mad? I'd be putting the money into making sure the family car you have is new or top spec for you needs. Then a second run around car will do that can take your kids. The time for car for two people was before you had kids. Your wife must be a saint.

But if the car is parked outside the creche all day, and you can walk to collect it if needed, then why do you definitely need a 2nd car? What is your wife's objection?

There is a difference between needing something, and wanting something. And if you want something, and can easily afford it, then that's fine. Lots of us have stuff we want, but don't necessarily need.

You seem to be trying really hard to convince us that you should buy this car, it's not us you should be convincing. Whether you buy it or not will have zero impact on our lives!

The creche is a 20min walk away so not ideal to push buggy and bring bicycle for cycle into town after. I also need a car for work and I work unusual hours so my wife needs a 2nd car when shes at home and im in work.

Ultimately, I am trying to gauge whether families have to split kids into 2 cars on a regular basis or not. I dont think they do in general (based on some people ive talked to) but I wanted to get a wider opinion. Tbh, if I dont get the car, its not the end of the world. But I dont want to get a 2nd car with rear seats to then find we never use them.

My wifes objection (understandably) is that for 1.5 years there is the potential that we will have constant hassle of the need to split the kids into 2 cars and we cant do it. If its the odd time, fair enough but not multiples times week. It would wreck my head too tbh. I cant imagine it being a frequent problem but maybe im wrong and her concern is valid.

In the 1980s most families had the one car and that sticks in my mind too.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    Are you mad? I'd be putting the money into making sure the family car you have is new or top spec for you needs. Then a second run around car will do that can take your kids. The time for car for two people was before you had kids. Your wife must be a saint.

The family car is a good family car already, we have no issues with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The creche is a 20min walk away so not ideal to push buggy and bring bicycle for cycle into town after. I also need a car for work and I work unusual hours so my wife needs a 2nd car when shes at home and im in work.

Ultimately, I am trying to gauge whether families have to split kids into 2 cars on a regular basis or not. I dont think they do in general (based on some people ive talked to) but I wanted to get a wider opinion. Tbh, if I dont get the car, its not the end of the world. But I dont want to get a 2nd car with rear seats to then find we never use them.

My wifes objection (understandably) is that for 1.5 years there is the potential that we will have constant hassle of the need to split the kids into 2 cars and we cant do it. If its the odd time, fair enough but not multiples times week. It would wreck my head too tbh. I cant imagine it being a frequent problem but maybe im wrong and her concern is valid.

In the 1980s most families had the one car and that sticks in my mind too.

Honestly even with one child he is in and out of both cars constantly. Yes primarily mine as I do the childminder drop offs but also my husbands. It’s logistics in our case but also that both of us prefer driving our own cars. So if I’m heading to my family for the weekend he goes in mine, to the husbands? He goes in his car. If I’m doing the shopping with the three year old he comes in my car for example. If I’m going on my own I hop in my car without having to think about whether my husband will be able to leave the house or not with the three year old.

Honestly I’m with your wife here. Bringing small children and baby’s places needs planning between what you bring (changing bag, bottles, drinks, snacks, etc), considering nap times etc. Having to add planning the cars on top of that would wreck my head.

In my opinion it’s different if you are working off one car. That’s a decision made by the family and planned and worked around. The idea that there would be a car outside the door that couldn’t be used for the two children even in an emergency would crack me up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hey folks,

We have a 2 year old and a 2nd baby due in December. Im thinking of buying a 2 seater car (without the ability to disable the passenger airbag possibly) but we are concerned with the logistics of having 2 kids and 1 "family" car.

Do many people have this set up and is it workable or a pain? i.e. Mammy wants to go somewhere with kid A but Daddy needs go somewhere else with kid B.

Some alternative ideas I have are child seats for the bike possibly, bus or good old fashioned walking. Other ideas welcome!

We are based in Dublin btw. All feedback appreciated.:)

Would this two seater car be your second car or your first car?

Personally whether first or second I'd not be buying a two seater when you have kids. There are going to be times where both cars are needed for something with the kids.

My wife wouldn't be long knocking a two seater car out my mind anyway lol

It really depends on your work schedules I suppose. We have 2 cars. My husband started with a new car in 2012 and has upgraded it every 2-3 years since. First 2 cars our children were rarely in it. Because I was at home, and did all the dropping and collecting. In fact when returning the first one the salesman asked him had anyone ever even sat in the back of it!! When I went back to work, he then was doing school collections and his 'new' car is now wrecked from them climbing in and out, throwing in school bags and gear bags, dragging in hurleys, musical instruments etc!

I know your children are smaller than that, but if two parents are working, and two parents are using cars, then yes, it is very very likely that you will occasionally need to take 2 children in your car if your wife has the other car somewhere.

If you have 1 car, you tend to work around it. If you have 2 cars, you'd expect that both could be used, if required. My brother had a 4 seater classic car, and a family car. He had 3 children and eventually had to get rid of the 4 seater because it was a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

In the 1980s usually only 1 person working so that was the big difference. Kids didn't go to creche. Also no money back then. You clearly have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

3 kids, one car here.

Kids walk/cycle/scoot to school, I cycle to work, wife cycles to work ( we are lucky that these are not big distances)......the one car sits idle most of the week, we actually considered getting rid of it and just hiring one when we need it, it would probably work out cheaper after tax, insurance and loan repayments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yeah, but you are at school going age mctigs.
    Small kids,two working parents and one usable car would be a complete pain in our house.

Go Car might be an option - il look into that also - cheers.

The idea of not having this car breaks my heart and this car is very rare in Ireland. No 4 seater compares to this car im afraid. If I dont get it now, ill never get it. : (

You don't want to hear this but, it's time to grow up. You made the decision to have not one but two kids. They should be the priority, not your toys.

Don't want to be harsh, so am sorry if it comes across as such.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Go Car might be an option - il look into that also - cheers.

The idea of not having this car breaks my heart and this car is very rare in Ireland. No 4 seater compares to this car im afraid. If I dont get it now, ill never get it. : (

You only live once....if you really want the car go for it. You buy it in the knowledge that it'll be a headwreck at times. Plenty of times you'll have to be a sensible parent, you may as well have some fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thats were you're going wrong!!! :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback folks, for and against. It's what i want from people because I don't want to make a decision and then regret it.

My feelings are still a bit up in the air but i am leaning towards putting it on hold for the moment. Plenty of years still to go hopefully, I can get something a bit special later in life.

Advertisement