Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High wattage 23watt LED Bulb €8eur

• 13-07-2018 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

Mc.kims Mace supermarket in Collooney, county Sligo have these 23watt LED bulbs (equivelant of 150-200w incandescent) 2500 lumens - its normally pretty difficult to find LED bulbs at this wattage. 230v ES base Daylight white 6000K.
    I am not sure whether only this Mace store is stocking them only? - maybe they might be in stock nationwide in mace shops - look for them in the household light bulb section.

455669.jpg

455670.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

6000k is getting into the blue spectrum, expect this to be exceptionally white light. not really suitable for homes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Tefral wrote: »
    6000k is getting into the blue spectrum, expect this to be exceptionally white light. not really suitable for homes...

true, - i dont like daylight render colour for house rooms myself ... these be good for workshop/garage/shed even outdoor lighting (especially if the council in your street have already changed your streetlights over to LED)

on a search on amazon UK the company that produce this also do a Warm White 2700K 23 watt ones work out at around 6uk pounds each (pack of 4)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edison-Equivalent-Bright-2500Lm-Non-Dimmable/dp/B073VMDZ28

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jontr

Would it be suitable for growing tomatoes indoors?

jontr wrote: »

not sure - but you can get (not sure in Irish shops .. I dunno maybe you could?) high powered CFL bulbs online at ebay UK , prices around 15-20 UK pounds .. they are huge!

theres ones 105w CFL and they go up higher even to 250w (most probably more )

the 105w alone I think is comparable to a 500w incandescent bulb that has a normal size ES and then the larger bulbs have a GES base.

I think they said 6500k for greenage/foilage (daylight) and then swap to a 2700k warm white for flowering stage

i dont think the bulb I got from mace would be powerful enough to grow them because I am not that much into gardening myself. The mace one is 2500 lumens - would that be bright enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

reasonable value if it suits you

£27 for pack of 4 on amazon for exact same item.

Perfect for retail display, but also excellent for garage/workshop.

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    excellent value if it suits you

£27 on amazon for exact same item.

Perfect for retail display, but also excellent for garage/workshop.

27 uk pounds for pack of 4

27 uk pounds for pack of 4

Thanks - corrected.

LED bulbs have come way down in price. I've just changed all mine (retail displays) and bulbs were coming in under €2 for high lumen (e14 760lm, gu10 540lm) from LedHut

only bit I am concerned about this €8 mace one is that its 23watt and in the base there is no vents/holes whatsoever ... so how long they will last, and whether the components will overheat in a short amount of time I dunno.

here I have taken off the end of the bulb , just unscrewed (its plastic diffused frosted bit, held in by white mastic) - I think myself if it was in a lamp shade or something i would remove end like this to let some air get in and circulate around the components and hopefully prolong the life of the lamp....

455691.jpg

only bit I am concerned about this €8 mace one is that its 23watt and in the base there is no vents/holes whatsoever ... so how long they will last, and whether the components will overheat in a short amount of time I dunno.

we've used 20w led from ikea (1800lm) and very similar and no issues - they are on 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Only recently replaced them as they fade a little over time (not an issue for home use)

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    we've used 20w led from ikea (1800lm) and very similar and no issues - they are on 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Only recently replaced them as they fade a little over time (not an issue for home use)

cool that ikea do 20watt LED bulbs - I didnt know they done as high as that wattage in Ikea - in fact I think the highest wattage LED bulb I have seen in Ireland is 8watt (supposedly replace a 100w bulb on the front of the box, but it doesnt its not as bright)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The only issue with that is itll be a single track and thus a single failure takes out the whole light. My cheapo chinese ones are prone to early death that way but bypassing the bad one is easy for somebody handy with a soldering iron.

If you were buying a few I'd say order and get units that use 60 odd chips so there's parallel tracks so a failure only dimms it a bit.

ED E wrote: »
    The only issue with that is itll be a single track and thus a single failure takes out the whole light. My cheapo chinese ones are prone to early death that way but bypassing the bad one is easy for somebody handy with a soldering iron.

If you were buying a few I'd say order and get units that use 60 odd chips so there's parallel tracks so a failure only dimms it a bit.

i though the actual LED chip itself was near on lasts for life and that it was the actual shoddy soldering and cheap components like capacitors and LED drivers that failed on the bulb.. and most of the time because the cheap LED bulbs where missing ventilation and sufficient heatsinks?

but yes I can see where you are coming from with the single track / wired in series.. like the old fashioned christmas tree lights when one bulb went they all went out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jontr wrote: »
    tomatoes ;)

For maximum efficiency you only want blue and red , because plants don't use green. So purple grow lamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

true, - i dont like daylight render colour for house rooms myself ... these be good for workshop/garage/shed even outdoor lighting (especially if the council in your street have already changed your streetlights over to LED)

Ya not sure if it's just me but cool white actually hurts my eyes and gives me a headache when I was in a house with them. The owner even changed to warm white as they were getting headaches and grand since

I'd swear some Australian place did a study and claimed the cool white and certain others might damage the eyes over time, don't quote me on it tho

Ya not sure if it's just me but cool white actually hurts my eyes and gives me a headache when I was in a house with them. The owner even changed to warm white as they were getting headaches and grand since

I'd swear some Australian place did a study and claimed the cool white and certain others might damage the eyes over time, don't quote me on it tho

yep i heard that too - mind you the winter 'SAD' lights are cool white / daylight white ..but then again you dont normally have them on for long periods

shame this one I bought from Mace wasn't warm white - they only had these cool white 6000k ones - i'm already thinking how i can hack the bulb and make the bulb 'warm white' colour .. maybe I can get some kind of cellophane filter that the theaters use for their lighting when they have a play on stage, should imagine i need a orange /yellow kind of film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

here I have taken off the end of the bulb , just unscrewed (its plastic diffused frosted bit, held in by white mastic) - I think myself if it was in a lamp shade or something i would remove end like this to let some air get in and circulate around the components and hopefully prolong the life of the lamp....

Have you not just removed the lens from the lamp

This would normally have a significant impact on the diffusion of light and potentially result in a lamp that night damage your eyes?

https://www.ledsupply.com/blog/led-optics-explained/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

shame this one I bought from Mace wasn't warm white - they only had these cool white 6000k ones - i'm already thinking how i can hack the bulb and make the bulb 'warm white' colour .. maybe I can get some kind of cellophane filter that the theaters use for their lighting when they have a play on stage, should imagine i need a orange /yellow kind of film
    A correction filter to get from 6500k flourescent to simulated 3200k halogen is throwing away 45% of the light. The source spectrum from those bulbs will have a massive peak in blue so probably closer to losing 50-60% of the lumen output. Source spectrum is going to be peaky and crap too so the colour rendering will be rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, don’t leave the end off the bulb, they’re not designed to be exposed, plus you have no idea what would happen if you touch the circuit board.

• Advertisement

A correction filter to get from 6500k flourescent to simulated 3200k halogen is throwing away 45% of the light. The source spectrum from those bulbs will have a massive peak in blue so probably closer to losing 50-60% of the lumen output. Source spectrum is going to be peaky and crap too so the colour rendering will be rubbish.

true - i never factored that in, it will indeed cut the lumens down , what if the cellophane film is nearly transparent?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, don’t leave the end off the bulb, they’re not designed to be exposed, plus you have no idea what would happen if you touch the circuit board.

it would be in some kind of shade so wouldnt be able to be touched ... or seen directly by the naked eye ... should be ok. its just to lessen the chance of overheating the LED's and components because thats quite a high wattage to have no ventilation holes in that wattage of lamp. I only had it on for about 15 minutes and the base got pretty hot in that 15 minutes - too much of that and no-where for the heat to escape could shorten its life quite extensively I should imagine

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

it would be in some kind of shade so wouldnt be able to be touched ... or seen directly by the naked eye ... should be ok. its just to lessen the chance of overheating the LED's and components because thats quite a high wattage to have no ventilation holes in that wattage of lamp. I only had it on for about 15 minutes and the base got pretty hot in that 15 minutes - too much of that and no-where for the heat to escape could shorten its life quite extensively I should imagine

Sounds defective if you need to dismantle it and then you are left with a safety hazard (fire and someone getting hurt touching it).

Maybe not a recommendation after all let alone a bargain?

Sounds defective if you need to dismantle it and then you are left with a safety hazard (fire and someone getting hurt touching it).

Maybe not a recommendation after all let alone a bargain?

so are incandescent bulbs and cookers - shall we ban them too? :D ... sorry only messin' couldnt resist it .. :)

course its gonna be safe and it is a bargain - near on every normal sane person is not going to dismantle it and run it with its cover off , and it has CE mark so should have been tested for safety to european standards and if the cover comes of those exposed 2 wires I should imagine are very very low volage .. millivolts maybe because they only drive the LED chips (which run very cool so no chance of fire)

and yes they are a bargain at 8euro a piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I only had it on for about 15 minutes and the base got pretty hot in that 15 minutes - too much of that and no-where for the heat to escape could shorten its life quite extensively I should imagine

If there are any electrolytic capacitors in there life expectancy plummets with high temperature. Lamps last significantly longer in base down installations as the heat rises away from the electronics.
    it has CE mark so should have been tested for safety to european standards and if the cover comes of those exposed 2 wires I should imagine are very very low volage

CE marking is not a certification, approval or quality mark and may not even have been tested or notified to a third party or independent body let alone a reputable one in europe it means nothing.

Also its is common for chinese bulbs to use a capacitor dropper circuit in which case there could be unisolated mains on the soldered wires at the front.
    what if the cellophane film is nearly transparent?

It will do nearly nothing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Anytime an led bulb thread comes up, I always recommend my goto place, Dealz. A big range of led bulbs for €1.50 a pop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I use 5500k / 45W photographic bulbs in the kitchen and around the house- been using them for years. I have had one or two comments from cars passing about how bright my windows are- but its so easy to see everything and exactly what I'm doing- esp. during the winter months. They're less than £3 each on ebay/amazon - and I've some that I've been using for the last 4 years- I've never had one blow.

delly wrote: »
    Anytime an led bulb thread comes up, I always recommend my goto place, Dealz. A big range of led bulbs for €1.50 a pop.

5watt was the largest wattage I got from DEALZ last - said on the box =60w and it didnt, it was more like 40w brightness ... but i stuck with them and in about 2 months if that .. kaput, stopped working - didnt seem so much a bargain then

I use 5500k / 45W photographic bulbs in the kitchen and around the house- been using them for years. I have had one or two comments from cars passing about how bright my windows are- but its so easy to see everything and exactly what I'm doing- esp. during the winter months. They're less than £3 each on ebay/amazon - and I've some that I've been using for the last 4 years- I've never had one blow.

what are they LED or CFL? -

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

what are they LED or CFL? -

CFL, fecking enormous things, you could guide airplanes in with them on the foggiest of nights.. .....

Advertisement