Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor tax and imports

• 13-07-2018 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just imported a car (second week of June) and got the VRT done on 30/06 (all within timeframes given by revenue. When I finally managed to log into MotorTax site to pay for it, been hit it a penalty for paying late? Not a massive amount, but didnt feel like it should have been applied?

Car was registered within 30 days from entering the state and VRT was booked within the first 7 days so all within the limits.

Why was I hit with the penalty if i only got the logbook in July?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You are likely paying for the month of June when you were using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

When was it registered as being in the state. I assume June.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

But I couldnt have paid for it sooner and roadtax covers June but I am being hit with the penalty for not paying sooner: but this wasnt possible. So for arguments sake if you register a car in August you will have 2 months delay even though you only brought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

og2k7 wrote: »
    But I couldnt have paid for it sooner and roadtax covers June but I am being hit with the penalty for not paying sooner: but this wasnt possible. So for arguments sake if you register a car in August you will have 2 months delay even though you only brought it?

What penalty?

When was it registered as being in the state. I assume June.

Correct but registered in July within given timeframes

• Advertisement

What penalty?

For late roadtax payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have you asked your local MTO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's not a penalty for late payment, it's merely the tax for the month it was registered in, ie June. You should have waited until 1st July to VRT it if it bothers you that much. It's just the way the system works, you pay complete months from the first of the month of registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hi guys

Just imported a car (second week of June) and got the VRT done on 30/06
    Correct but registered in July within given timeframes

The car was registered on the last day of June and therefore you have to pay motor tax for the whole month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I just did the exact same thing. I was charged 20 for arrears for June (tax is due from the day the car is registered in Ireland), even though it was just for one day. 200 covers the tax until the end of July. No penalty there.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    it's not a penalty for late payment, it's merely the tax for the month it was registered in, ie June. You should have waited until 1st July to VRT it if it bothers you that much. It's just the way the system works, you pay complete months from the first of the month of registration.

It doesnt bother me that much, I just like to understand why things work the way they work - thats all

I pay enough taxes so less is better in general :)

Thanks for your responses guys

It doesnt bother me that much, I just like to understand why things work the way they work - thats all

I pay enough taxes so less is better in general :)

Thanks for your responses guys

I was particularly annoyed with myself. I knew that even one day would cause a month's arrears, but my lifelong inability to use a calendar cost me €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Was it not possible to retrospectively declare car off the road for June, and pay motortax from 1st of July?

CiniO wrote: »
    Was it not possible to retrospectively declare car off the road for June, and pay motortax from 1st of July?

Probably not when I drove it to the NCT centre to get it VRT'd.

Advertisement