Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Upgrading?

Options
  • 13-07-2018 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Current spec:
    i7-3770
    gtx 1070
    16gb HyperX 1866
    Gigabyte z77-hd3
    3X 240GB SSD

Would is be worth upgrading the mobo,cpu and ram to say
    i7-8700
    msi z370 gaming plus mobo
    corsair vengeance ddr4 3000mhz

It is purely a gaming pc and runs fairly well. I am using a 27" 2k 144hz monitor and an oculus rift for gaming.

Would it be worth the price (approx €600) to upgrade those few components for a noticeable performance upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

_DMac_ wrote: »
    Current spec:
    i7-3770
    gtx 1070
    16gb HyperX 1866
    Gigabyte z77-hd3
    3X 240GB SSD

Would is be worth upgrading the mobo,cpu and ram to say
    i7-8700
    msi z370 gaming plus mobo
    corsair vengeance ddr4 3000mhz

It is purely a gaming pc and runs fairly well. I am using a 27" 2k 144hz monitor and an oculus rift for gaming.

Would it be worth the price (approx €600) to upgrade those few components for a noticeable performance upgrade?

No. You could see a 25% improvement in CPU limited applications, and a 60% improvement if the system is CPU bottlenecked overall. But intel have released new processors in at the top end of the i9 series for around €2k, that will offer a 400% or more performance increase. So rather than buying one now I'd stick with it for the sake of €600 when the i7 get's those performance levels or you can get a server i9 second hand cheap. Within 5 years 32 or 64 core processors will be the norm, I wouldn't go buying a 6 core processor now even for a moderate boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I have almost the exact same spec. No reason to upgrade just yet. Maybe selling the 3770 and getting the K version. Spend some money on a decent cooler and overclock. It isn't all that hard and will give you that performance bump.

Maybe spend the money on something else. Upgrade the desk, chair, gaming carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I have almost the exact same spec. No reason to upgrade just yet. Maybe selling the 3770 and getting the K version. Spend some money on a decent cooler and overclock. It isn't all that hard and will give you that performance bump.

Maybe spend the money on something else. Upgrade the desk, chair, gaming carpet.

LOL what is gaming carpet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Increases your accuracy by reducing audio/visual latency through nanofibers interacting with your chair feet. Stimulating your central nervous system to decrease reaction times.

(really it's just a joke in CS:GO when someone is using haxx)

*checks amazon for gaming carpet*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Is that a 3770, or 3770K?

If it's a 3770K with a good healthy overclock, then really not much value to be had in it. If it's a standard i7-3770, then it would be a large upgrade considering you have a 144hz monitor.

Would it be actually worth the price, though? Depends on how disposable your cash is really and how important hitting as close as possible to 144hz is to you.

Is that a 3770, or 3770K?

If it's a 3770K with a good healthy overclock, then really not much value to be had in it. If it's a standard i7-3770, then it would be a large upgrade considering you have a 144hz monitor.

Would it be actually worth the price, though? Depends on how disposable your cash is really and how important hitting as close as possible to 144hz is to you.

It is the i7-3770 non k. Looking at a k version online and they are about €150-200 second hand which seems like a fair chunk for a 6/7 year old chip but the balance to that is not having to change ram and mobo also. Decisions decisions

Advertisement