Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WDS Wifi to Wired question

Options
  • 13-07-2018 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having with my home network and truth be told I'm not een sure how to describe in when searching the web for solutions.

Basically I set up my TP Link Archer C7 Dual Band router with WDS as a repeater for a Fritz!box 7560 Modem/Router (cabling not an option). This worked fine and I can connect to both bands on the TP Link wirelessly, however, when I connect my PC to the Archer via ethernet cable it registers as the 2.4ghz connection only.

If i disable the 2.4ghz and try to run off of the 5ghz then ethernet craps out altogether. even at 2.4ghz i'm getting a big speed boost but I'd prefer to run it off the 5ghz for best possible speeds.

Any thoughts on this or how best to describe it when searching/troubleshooting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd hazard that the TP only uses the 2.4 for the "backbone" link. 5Ghz is just AP to client.

The TP documentation screenshots seem to back that guess up. In many homes powerline in between devices will outperform WDS and not suffer from peak time RF congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

ED E wrote: »
    I'd hazard that the TP only uses the 2.4 for the "backbone" link. 5Ghz is just AP to client.

The TP documentation screenshots seem to back that guess up. In many homes powerline in between devices will outperform WDS and not suffer from peak time RF congestion.

Cheers, that makes sense.....what sort of real world speeds are reasonably priced powelines doing these days, haven’t bought in years and even then never really trusted what the boxes said.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AV1000/1200s with 1Gb ports can do 120-200Mb (half duplex, same as wifi). Varies depending on wiring though so purchasing from the likes of Argos with a 28 day returns policy is advised.

ED E wrote: »
    AV1000/1200s with 1Gb ports can do 120-200Mb (half duplex, same as wifi). Varies depending on wiring though so purchasing from the likes of Argos with a 28 day returns policy is advised.

Cheers, think I’ll stick with what I have over powerline as its giving me 140mbps as it is and might look at mesh going forward

Just to update on this. I was having some random disconnects a few weeks ago so factory reset the Archer C7 and set it up again. Just for sh and giggles I tried setting it up with just the 5ghz band again and now i'm getting almost full speed from my connection (300mbps).

7562113113.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement