Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your ideal location

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

We moved to Dalkey and love it so if my numbers came in probably a bigger house ideally on the vico road !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Malahide.

No scumbags and close to the airport.

Anywhere near the village and out towards Portmarnock is a black spot for scumbags in the Summer months.

Kinsealy would be a better bet

I have my eye on a house in Dartry for some time now. The house is period, not ridiculously large (though a 2 storey over basement), looks charming and homely. But the garden is INCREDIBLE. South facing and so massive you can hardly notice the tennis court at the end. Full of mature trees, not overlooked. I would give my eye teeth for it.

Dartry itself is super quiet but still only a few minutes to the Luas. I think the road might be a cul de sac. And sure you'd do all your shopping in Morton's in Ranelagh.

I want it!!!

High Cross?

Very interesting history to that house and those grounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Anywhere out of Carrigaline,, Mars,gobi, Siberia,outer Mongolia,,,know every village has an idiot,well all the other villages come to carrigaline to get theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I like Killiney but I don't think I'd like to live there. It seems very isolated and I suspect the neighbours would all be w@nkers.

There’s honestly not much to Killiney, apart from the beach, the hill and the DART. You still have to drive to Ballybrack, Dun Laoghaire, or Cornelscourt for groceries & services. I live in Ballybrack village so I am within 10mins walk to Killiney Dart. I was more interested in proximity to a DART or Luas when we were buying a few years ago. I didn’t want to be in some estate in the middle of nowhere and have to drive everywhere. (I work from home, so I wanted to get rid of my car)

We mostly go out in Dun Laoghaire or Bray. Or we will walk over the hill to Dalkey or up to The Graduate.
    I do like the fact that I can walk up to the Obelisk from my apartment within an hour, and the OH likes going into the sea after work for a dip. It’s a quiet area, a bit on the dull side even, but on the other hand, I feel safe walking home at night, and the sea views are amazing ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anywhere near the village and out towards Portmarnock is a black spot for scumbags in the Summer months.

Isn't Kinsealy full of settled travellers? Or do a lot of those who've built in the area just share that quasi-religious taste for tacky garden / window decorations?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Isn't Kinsealy full of settled travellers? Or do a lot of those who've built in the area just share that quasi-religious taste for tacky garden / window decorations?

Baskin lane is probably best avoided, but I would have thought rural Swords/ Rolestown would be more popular in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not in a million years is Kinsealy a better spot to live in than Malahide.

Not in a million years is Kinsealy a better spot to live in than Malahide.

Have you ever lived around Malahide village during the Summer?

Have you ever lived around Malahide village during the Summer?

Yes, I have. It's one of the nicest towns in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have. It's one of the nicest towns in Dublin.

Nice, yes; but Kinsealy is just as close to the airport and doesn't attract as many undesirables during the Summer

For a number of reasons the best thing my parents ever did was move from Malahide to Kinsealy

Nice, yes; but Kinsealy is just as close to the airport and doesn't attract as many undesirables during the Summer

For a number of reasons the best thing my parents ever did was move from Malahide to Kinsealy

You're talking through your hat, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

as you go down the lane to Seapoint beach - there is a row of houses to the left looking onto the harbour …. what I wouldn't give to have one of those houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Raheny for me.  I have lived in Ranelagh, Blackrock, Killester, Santry and now Raheny.
    Well serviced by Dart and Bus.  Lovely village, walking distance to the sea & St. Anne's Park.  The right side of Howth, Malahide and Sutton that it's not affected by sunshine traffic jams. Malahide & Howth are beautiful but the traffic in the summer would be a turn off for me.

You're talking through your hat, sorry.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shocked-locals-want-action-after-brawl-at-the-seaside-30321317.html

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/fears-mob-rule-north-dublin-14179739

I disagree but once you're happy where you are thats all that matters :)

Living with this on your doorstep is hellish

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

KBD85 wrote: »

What is your ideal area to live in and why?
    On the side of a mountain, beachfront, in a forest, secluded, close to amenities, and a pub next door. No neighbours.

Neither of those talk about anything specific happening in Malahide from what I can see?

Anyway. I know the area really well and you're not describing a place that I'm familiar with. One of my best friends grew up a 5 min walk from the beach there, I lived in the town myself for a few years.

Portmarnock beach on the other hand has had serious issues in the past with massive amounts of people, some with less than great intentions, coming during the summer.

Neither of those talk about anything specific happening in Malahide from what I can see?

Anyway. I know the area really well and you're not describing a place that I'm familiar with. One of my best friends grew up a 5 min walk from the beach there, I lived in the town myself for a few years.

Portmarnock beach on the other hand has had serious issues in the past with massive amounts of people, some with less than great intentions, coming during the summer.

With every respect, both articles make reference to antisocial behaviour in Malahide, and there are plenty of similar stories online. Poartmarnock is undoubtedly the real blackspot during the Summer months but unfortunately Malahide is the first stop for many undesirables making their way there.

We lived within meters of Malahide train station and have witnessed utterly feral behaviour from crowds coming from the DART. Residents called on the Gardai years ago to enforce a constant Garda presence in the train station on certain days for this very reason

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Raheny for me.  I have lived in Ranelagh, Blackrock, Killester, Santry and now Raheny.
    Well serviced by Dart and Bus.  Lovely village, walking distance to the sea & St. Anne's Park.  The right side of Howth, Malahide and Sutton that it's not affected by sunshine traffic jams. Malahide & Howth are beautiful but the traffic in the summer would be a turn off for me.

I agree with this entirely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Kilbarrack/Raheny if I had to keep working.
    Kilbarrack/Raheny if I was given enough money to stop working but not enough to go nuts.

Ideally though, one of those lovely huge townhouses in D4 as long as it had parking and a nice sized back garden.

Honourable mention Clontarf. Howth for me is ruined by being choked with cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I grew up in the countryside so even though I work in Dublin suburbs I'd love to buy a house in rural Wicklow.

Enjoying the peace and quiet while also been able to enjoy a bit of city liget on occasion.

Wicklow for me too. If it was Lotto money then that 25,000 acre Guinness property that came up for sale a while back. Nothing like owning your own mountain range with wild deer and a few lakes thrown in.

If in Dublin Id love to live coastal. But as I hate crowds would rule out Howth, Portmarnock, Killiney etc. I would tend to look further north to the quieter coastal areas like Portrane, Skerries.

I dont get the love for Clontarf either, my sister lives there and the sea view is boring and it doesnt have the shops/restaurants of Ranelagh. Being close to town is great but for me Clontarf is no great shakes, maybe Im missing something but just dont see the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭HappySerious

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wicklow for me too. If it was Lotto money then that 25,000 acre Guinness property that came up for sale a while back. Nothing like owning your own mountain range with wild deer and a few lakes thrown in.

If in Dublin Id love to live coastal. But as I hate crowds would rule out Howth, Portmarnock, Killiney etc. I would tend to look further north to the quieter coastal areas like Portrane, Skerries.

I dont get the love for Clontarf either, my sister lives there and the sea view is boring and it doesnt have the shops/restaurants of Ranelagh. Being close to town is great but for me Clontarf is no great shakes, maybe Im missing something but just dont see the appeal.

Do they own the mountain range too? Amazing estate....lot of grass to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

For example Beaumont (Dublin 9) is a nice settled area but people will pay twice the price for a similar property in Blackrock as they value something in the area highly enough to pay a premium in excess of €250,000 for a similar property.

I agree Beaumont is a nice settled area as well as being only 3.5 miles from town, but the problem is that it's too quiet and there's nothing in terms of places to eat or go for coffee etc. It's crying out for a decent restaurant or even just a coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭KBD85

I agree Beaumont is a nice settled area as well as being only 3.5 miles from town, but the problem is that it's too quiet and there's nothing in terms of places to eat or go for coffee etc. It's crying out for a decent restaurant or even just a coffee shop.

Is is worth paying almost double for a similar property with a couple of coffee shops instead of going about a kilometre to a coffee shop in Drumcondra/Glasnevin/Santry (for the average person) and having a much bigger mortgage payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is is worth paying almost double for a similar property with a couple of coffee shops instead of going about a kilometre to a coffee shop in Drumcondra/Glasnevin/Santry (for the average person) and having a much bigger mortgage payment?

Money is no object in this thread.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I haven't heard much about a community feel.

Are people more interested in living near the coast and having a pub and a shop nearby and don't care about the neighbours so long as they don't cause any trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I suppose it’s something you have no control over. You can only hope that you have nice neighbours and a nice community but it’s not guaranteed wherever the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I haven't heard much about a community feel.

Are people more interested in living near the coast and having a pub and a shop nearby and don't care about the neighbours so long as they don't cause any trouble?

If money is no object I don't want any neighbours!

I wouldn't say money is no object, just keep it within reason. We would all like the mansion at the top of the hill with sea views and a local shop to get the milk when needed.

You could have quiet a lot of space for a reasonable price if you moved to a rural area in the Midlands or possibly Donegal but you miss out on a lot of amenities so it comes down to what do you value more while still having to work your current job or similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement