Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SW10270

Options
  • 13-07-2018 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've purchased a HKC SW10270 panel (inc battery and keypad) and a GSM-WiFi (plug on) communicator. I know there is an annual charge for world sim and cloud access which I’m aware of (€60) and €8 to download the App. I'm going to swap it for the old HKC panel I have but there seems to be little in the way of decent installation and programming instructions anywhere. Is this deliberate to discourage people from doing it themselves? It seems there is an installer code required also, is there a default one or are there other codes also required? All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

Csnt give out codes but they sould be wtiting on quick eng book with panel. Check panel pcb its on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

Csnt give out codes but they sould be wtiting on quick eng book with panel. Check panel pcb its on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ArcherL

Thanks, will have a look

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Default codes are 1111 & 4567
    If they are happy to sell you the panel they should be happy to supply you with the manual for the equipment you purchased.
    Unfortunately we are no longer allowed help you here with manuals. I would say the manufacturers or a licenced installer would be able to get you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    Default codes are 1111 & 4567
    If they are happy to sell you the panel they should be happy to supply you with the manual for the equipment you purchased.
    Unfortunately we are no longer allowed help you here with manuals. I would say the manufacturers or a licenced installer would be able to get you sorted.

Are you suggesting that HKC are selling panels directly to the public ?

Yet again you cannot help yourself getting a dig at them.

It is clearly written on the panel packaging that the equipment is only for Professional Installers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How am I having a dig at anyone.?
    That make of panel is very easily accessible.
    Maybe the OP can tell us where he sourced it.?
    If he's an installer he would have a manual anyway.
    If someone is going to sell you the equipment new you should be entitled to the manual for that equipment.

How am I having a dig at anyone.?
    That make of panel is very easily accessible.
    Maybe the OP can tell us where he sourced it.?
    If he's an installer he would have a manual anyway.
    If someone is going to sell you the equipment new you should be entitled to the manual for that equipment.

Who is the " They " you are referring to so please ?

Because suppliers of alarm equipment do not supply panel manuals.

The manufacturer packages the panel and the manuals.

I am sure of course you are well aware of these facts, therefore it is a fair conclusion that you reference to " They" is indeed HKC.
    Hence you are having your usual pop at them.

You probably do not know this, as i know from your posts here that you do not use HKC, but printed quite clearly in red writing on the panel packaging box is " For Use Of Professional Installers Only "

Now to be fair, HKC have the simplest panels to program and I do not mean that as a dig at the OP, I am sure of course that is another fact that you are aware of as well.

The reason there is not a full engineers manual in the 10/270 is because HKC listened to their main customers, the Installers that use their equipment and acted accordingly.

Will you get off your high horse and stop looking for a row in every thread.
    I have stated numerous times I do use HKC products as well as many others.
    Either acknowledge this fact or call me a liar. Otherwise please stop making false accusation against me.
    The OP stated he purchased this panel. Hopefully he will clarify where and whether he is a licenced installer or not..
    If he was has bought this panel legitimately should he not be entitled to a copy of the manual to set up and programme the equipment he had purchased?

Either way the OP has requested where he can get a manual and advice has been given on who to contact.
    No one has had a dig at HKC or any other products here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

kub wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that HKC are selling panels directly to the public ?

Yet again you cannot help yourself getting a dig at them.

It is clearly written on the panel packaging that the equipment is only for Professional Installers.
    Who is the " They " you are referring to so please ?

Because suppliers of alarm equipment do not supply panel manuals.

The manufacturer packages the panel and the manuals.

I am sure of course you are well aware of these facts, therefore it is a fair conclusion that you reference to " They" is indeed HKC.
    Hence you are having your usual pop at them.

You probably do not know this, as i know from your posts here that you do not use HKC, but printed quite clearly in red writing on the panel packaging box is " For Use Of Professional Installers Only "

Now to be fair, HKC have the simplest panels to program and I do not mean that as a dig at the OP, I am sure of course that is another fact that you are aware of as well.

The reason there is not a full engineers manual in the 10/270 is because HKC listened to their main customers, the Installers that use their equipment and acted accordingly.

Mod: This low level trolling is not going unnoticed.

If you have an issue with a poster's style, use the ignore feature.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So, if HKC is "only for professional installers", why are they selling their panels through electrical suppliers that are open to the public as well as trade?

I am legally and legitimately allowed to set up and maintain my own panel, and with a very long experience of electronics and computers, installing or upgrading a panel is not the most difficult job in the world as long as the necessary information is provided with the product.

At some stage, having put my own panel in a long time ago, I was considering upgrading the panel to take advantage of some of the new options that were only a dream then, with the panel I have, HKC was a logical and very easy install, but if HKC don't supply a programming manual with the panel, I won't be getting that, there's no way I will have a panel that I can't program myself.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

So, if HKC is "only for professional installers", why are they selling their panels through electrical suppliers that are open to the public as well as trade?

HKC do not supply electrical wholesalers, if it is one of the nationwide ones that I know of, then it is another supplier that is supplying the electrical supplier with HKC stock.
    Also to be fair, there are quite a few electrical contractors with PSA licences.

I am legally and legitimately allowed to set up and maintain my own panel, and with a very long experience of electronics and computers, installing or upgrading a panel is not the most difficult job in the world as long as the necessary information is provided with the product.

At some stage, having put my own panel in a long time ago, I was considering upgrading the panel to take advantage of some of the new options that were only a dream then, with the panel I have, HKC was a logical and very easy install, but if HKC don't supply a programming manual with the panel, I won't be getting that, there's no way I will have a panel that I can't program myself.

You are indeed and I agree with all what you have said there.

But if you managed to program a HKC panel already then you will not have any issues with the 10 /270 as it is still the same.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

HKC do not supply electrical wholesalers, if it is one of the nationwide ones that I know of, then it is another supplier that is supplying the electrical supplier with HKC stock.
    Also to be fair, there are quite a few electrical contractors with PSA licences.

I won't name them, as I don't want to cause them issues, to the best of my knowledge, the outlet I'm thinking of deal direct with HKC, a long time ago now, they put me in contact with a support engineer at HKC, based on regular contact, and at that time, there were no issues with things like manuals.

I shall have to check and see what manuals come with the panels now, in that I would be using some features that are not completely standard, so if I can't get the depth of information I need, that could be a show stopper. We'll see what happens, there are some other issues here relating to OPW flood prevention that have to happen first.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I won't name them, as I don't want to cause them issues, to the best of my knowledge, the outlet I'm thinking of deal direct with HKC, a long time ago now, they put me in contact with a support engineer at HKC, based on regular contact, and at that time, there were no issues with things like manuals.

I shall have to check and see what manuals come with the panels now, in that I would be using some features that are not completely standard, so if I can't get the depth of information I need, that could be a show stopper. We'll see what happens, there are some other issues here relating to OPW flood prevention that have to happen first.

With your own experience, you will have no issues at all, the manual that comes with the panel is basic but it does give a lay out of all the menus.

Got the installation manual with the panel, seems to be a brief one but good enough, the Installation code that I wanted to know about is supplied when you establish the billing details, there is no installer code required. Downloaded the app, installed the unit and am almost set up, some zones and timings to be set still. Can switch on and off remotely now. It was more straightforward than I thought, I installed the old panel and not a lot has changed really. The units are available from various electrical wholesalers. The box says 'For Supply to Professional Installers Only', this is quite standard from a lot of manufacturers in a lot of industries (brakes for cars for example). Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the update.
    I agree the installation by professionals notice is a pretty standard across the board. At the end of the day its about the number of units shipped.
    If a manufacturer wants to restrict their products there are plenty of ways to do it.

Found this on Google, may be useful http://webwayone.wysi.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

ArcherL wrote: »
    Got the installation manual with the panel, seems to be a brief one but good enough, the Installation code that I wanted to know about is supplied when you establish the billing details, there is no installer code required. Downloaded the app, installed the unit and am almost set up, some zones and timings to be set still. Can switch on and off remotely now. It was more straightforward than I thought, I installed the old panel and not a lot has changed really. The units are available from various electrical wholesalers. The box says 'For Supply to Professional Installers Only', this is quite standard from a lot of manufacturers in a lot of industries (brakes for cars for example). Thanks for the help.

Can I just ask, have you managed to set up a securecomm account without actually going through an installer? Because every HKC installer I've spoken to so far will only setup the securecomm account with a maintenance contract. I.e. they are not giving details that I could open a securecomm account myself. So it's about 60e for securecomm and approx 60e for yearly maintenance contract.

I don't want a maintenance contract!

That should not be a problem.

Yes I created a Standard Securecomm account and have a Direct Debit for the €60 per annum. https://securecomm.hkc.ie/ refers. I got a code when I created the account that you have to have, to enter on the keypad to activate the sim. There is a Premium account that costs €84 pa that has more benefits like central monitoring, this may only be available to installers, I'm not sure. I can monitor and manage it myself with my phone, I'm delighted with it & happy to pay HKC €60 a year for the service.

• Advertisement

ArcherL wrote: »

Thanks for this link, if I do get HKC I will be avoiding the installers who say it cant be done by yourself

To be honest, if your security installer is lying to you then you need a new installer.

To be honest, if your security installer is lying to you then you need a new installer.

agree fully, it seems to be just another way of collecting money if you ask me . they should at least offer 2 options - self set up or maintenance contract.

(I havent given up on the free app options yet - will get back to you later about this)

I would imagine that an installer will set up a maintenance account (along with the Securecomm account), to provide a service in the event of problems to a customer (who has no desire/ability/competency to touch the system, let alone install one), which is fair enough as far as I can see. I have the benefit of the system now because I did it myself (I don't think there are that many around that will take that on anymore). I'm not doing any installer out of business because at the price I was quoted originally it wasn't an option for me to use one, but I appreciate they are in the business to make a profit.

Its very simple for the installer to offer multiple options if they want to.

You could have standalone free app & free usage over IP only if that is all you want and you are happy with the limitations.
    You could have an option of GSM/GPRS back up at a fixed price to cover the SIM call/data charges.With this onto the option above you would also have the option down the line to take or leave the annual charge & revert to the free standalone option.
    A separate optional charge for maintenance to cover your annual service & other call out.
    Another separate optional charge if you want the whole hog & central station monitoring.
    There is no reason why you should lose your app option if you don't take maintenance or wish to cancel it at a later date.

Unfortunately there are some installers out there who are only interested in installing the system they want you to have, rather than what suits your wants , needs requirements & budget.

Its very simple for the installer to offer multiple options if they want to.

You could have standalone free app & free usage over IP only if that is all you want and you are happy with the limitations.
    You could have an option of GSM/GPRS back up at a fixed price to cover the SIM call/data charges.With this onto the option above you would also have the option down the line to take or leave the annual charge & revert to the free standalone option.
    A separate optional charge for maintenance to cover your annual service & other call out.
    Another separate optional charge if you want the whole hog & central station monitoring.
    There is no reason why you should lose your app option if you don't take maintenance or wish to cancel it at a later date.

Unfortunately there are some installers out there who are only interested in installing the system they want you to have, rather than what suits your wants , needs requirements & budget.

Indeed, but there are installers out there as well who choose to fit a manufacturers system that does not cause them issues during a warranty period and therefore leave a doubt in their customers mind that the system as installed is somehow lacking and troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok on the over and back between HKC versus the rest. It's getting tiresome.

I'm resetting the charter on same and restarting the clock on strikes.

Regards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement