Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any kitchen tips?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

ted1 wrote:
    Can’t imagine you’d fit a turkey in either oven. I don’t see the attraction myself. One fan oven is perfect but if you have a big kitchen sure why not throw in a second fan oven

The larger one would certainly take a turkey, not that I would ever want to cook one, I can't stand turkey. But being able to cook 2 separate dishes at different temperatures at the same time is just unbelievably handy. I guess it depends on what type of cooking you are doing. If you will only ever be roasting a joint and boiling some veg on the hob at the same time I suppose you only need one oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can’t believe people can live without a double oven... so it is about your way of living really. We would often cook parts of a meal that need two temperatures. Or be proofing or finishing bread in one, and doing a slow cook joint in the other.

Keep your dishwasher near your sink, and think about your work triangles.

Triangle 1 is food prep. So have your chopping counter, hob and pans, and compost bins close to each other.

Triangle 2 is cleaning. Sink, dishwasher, and plate storage near each other.

If you have space for a utility /pantry, put one in, with laundry facilities in there. I like being able to close the door on that noise, and store cleaning products or bulky things (Hoover) in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sockets, you can never have enough!

Just looking in one corner and we have a bread slicer, toaster, water cooker, coffee machine and grinder.

The freezer doesn't need to be in the kitchen, we have a large one and we keep it in the basement, the fridge has a small freezer compartment where we keep things we use regularly like ice, herbs, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Buy a sink and a half with a good drainer. This way if you have the sink full of dishes and water you can use the half sink to tip tea etc down it and it saves on water.

Buy a good set of taps or mixer that you can afford. The last thing you want to do is in a years time you have to replace it.

Dont buy an american fridge. SIL had one and had a power cut and the serge distroyed the chip. It is more expensive to run and then how do you dispose of it? A standard fridge can fit in a car but not an american. You will not fill it. It is great in America because everything goes into it due to the heat but we do not have that issue.

Get a good extractor with a low noise level(db rating) as the last thing you want is a big noising machine extracting the fumes. Also get it vented out with the strongest suction you can afford. Less mess.

Having a wall mounted gas oven is better than under the counter as easier to access. Lifting things out can be hard as you get older. I have a double oven gas and it is brilliant. Above it is a microwave built in. Make sure when it is installed there is enough of space for air to circulate.

Plenty of sockets.
    Depending on your space you can build an ushaped kitchen and have the hob looking out to the eating area.

Dont forget if you have a power cut it is nice to have gas to cook on as you can still boil a saucepan when there is no electricity. My aunty had a electric cooker in the country and there was a power cut. Christmas day no dinner as no power. Other aunty had bottled gas and ended up feeding everyone. Worth a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Best thing we did in our kitchen was two integrated fridges (with freezers) side by side. There are 6 of us though, including 4 teenagers, so we need alot of fridge space. nice to be able to open up teh two fridges like a larder.

We got a rangemaster with double (elecrtric) oven (though they are low which might be a problem depending on age) and 5 gas rings, two electric. Never really use the electric ones tbh but they might be handy if i wanted to simmer something on a low heat. I like a gas hob. door latch is gone on one of the ovens and I haven't bothered fixing it yet, one is enough.

My sister in law has a walk in pantry. That really is a great idea, so much easier to see what is on the shelves instead of poking around in a dark press. She converted it from what had been a coat room off the kitchen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement