Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottling from fermenter

Options
  • 13-07-2018 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi

Tried my first wine kit recently, Youngs Definitive, having done beer before. Think it makes 6 bottles. Anyway did it in my 33ltr fermenting vessel rather than demijohn (which I have too). Need to add stabiliser and finings. Just wondering on best approach to bottling. Could I use tap and bottling stick as with beer or transfer by tap to demijohn(s). Don't have a syphon but could get one - easier to syphon from demijohn that fermenter I would assume, thoughts welcome - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

chickey wrote: »
    Hi

Tried my first wine kit recently, Youngs Definitive, having done beer before. Think it makes 6 bottles. Anyway did it in my 33ltr fermenting vessel rather than demijohn (which I have too). Need to add stabiliser and finings. Just wondering on best approach to bottling. Could I use tap and bottling stick as with beer or transfer by tap to demijohn(s). Don't have a syphon but could get one - easier to syphon from demijohn that fermenter I would assume, thoughts welcome - thanks.

I've only ever made hedgerow wines and I've always siphoned as they need to be racked once or twice afterwards and the less sediment you transfer over the better. Not sure with the kits though. I'd probably go siphon but I'd imagine the wand would be fine too.

Advertisement