Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House & Holiday Home?

Options
  • 13-07-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Posting in behalf of a friend- he is in a council house for about a year, and is about to receive a 5-6 figure inheritance. He is looking at buying a small traditional cottage in the country, after recently being diagnosed with a life long physically debilitating illness. The stairs are bothering him already.
    His question- can he rent a council house and own a small cottage "to get away from stress". He is an artistic type of person who enjoys solitude and freedom. Anyone with any experience of renting a council home & owning a holiday home? I would of course understand if this is not possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I hope the answer is no as they should have to give up the council house if they can afford a private house.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

Obviously both he & I understand that it most likely is not possible, he is very grateful for the house. I remember stories of council tenants having holiday homes abroad, so just thought i'd ask. Otherwise he is willing to give up the house of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Why doesn't he just ask for a transfer to a bungalow?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Provided his main residence is the council house, then he can keep it and take holidays (of whatever length) whereever he likes.

No need to tell the council about the inheritance - only about any income he makes from it.

I don't like that this is the answer. But it is: council house is a tensncy for as long as you want it, provided you live there, pay the rent and don't do anti-social behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

With a six figure sum could he not just buy a suitable home and give up the council house

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

TresGats wrote: »
    Posting in behalf of a friend- he is in a council house for about a year, and is about to receive a 5-6 figure inheritance. He is looking at buying a small traditional cottage in the country, after recently being diagnosed with a life long physically debilitating illness. The stairs are bothering him already.
    His question- can he rent a council house and own a small cottage "to get away from stress". He is an artistic type of person who enjoys solitude and freedom. Anyone with any experience of renting a council home & owning a holiday home? I would of course understand if this is not possible.

Ohh christ I hope not , your mate is everything wrong with social housing in Ireland.

Ohh christ I hope not , your mate is everything wrong with social housing in Ireland.

With the greatest of respect, you do not know my friend, so how you can make this assumption is beyond me.
    You probably imagine he is a layabout who hasn't worked a day in his life. Well, he has worked for 25 years until his illness kicked in.
    I thought people in social housing had 8ft tv's and hummers? He could join that crew, or buy his own house, which the post is about- buying a small bungalow in the countryside. Surely that's more admirable?

Got my answer, thank you.
    Mods, can you please close this thread as I don't want any more opinions of this calibre.

Gatling wrote: »
    With a six figure sum could he not just buy a suitable home and give up the council house

Naaw, he'ed rather get his gaff done up with gold taps and a swimmin pool out back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm sorry but if he is set to inherit this money it's immoral for him to have that council house. He's stopping someone who genuinely needs a home from having somewhere to live. Tell him to buy a suitable house where he can be artistic to his heart's content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm hijacking the thread here, sorry.

A "mate" of mine has a council house. About 2 years ago he met and impregnated a girl. He now lives full-time in the girlfriends council house. Still pays the 30euro rent on his own place, but doesn't live there at all, he just uses the house as an address for his dole. I'm sure she is down as a single mother too. How and where do I report these thieves?

I know lots of friends an even family pulling stunts like this, I'd let it pass when the recession was here, but no excuse now for any of them. I'm considering reporting them all but I feel nothing will come of it anyway. Council are too soft on the "poor disadvantaged" scum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Ah I give up, no wonder there is a “homeless crisis”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

It’s madness and we are working our backside off saving for a deposit for a mortgage and banks won’t even look at us.... should have to give up council house if they already own or bought another house... plenty of people out there that have a disability and need accommodation and are not in a position “to buy a holiday home” madness that’s everything what’s wrong with this country, entitlement!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only thing that will happen is the rent will go up.

Not that I agree with owning an house and using up council stock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A "mate" of mine has a council house. About 2 years ago he met and impregnated a girl. He now lives full-time in the girlfriends council house. Still pays the 30euro rent on his own place, but doesn't live there at all, he just uses the house as an address for his dole. I'm sure she is down as a single mother too. How and where do I report these thieves?

I know lots of friends an even family pulling stunts like this, I'd let it pass when the recession was here, but no excuse now for any of them. I'm considering reporting them all but I feel nothing will come of it anyway. Council are too soft on the "poor disadvantaged" scum!!

I know a better one. Guy has his own house meets a girl, gets her pregnant. She and the child move into his house. They don't get married. He puts a kitchen unit in the box bedroom and she claims unmarried mothers allowance as well as rent allowance for the flat at the top of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Report them to your local council and social welfare ,they will be investigated by both which could lead to court action

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I know a better one. Guy has his own house meets a girl, gets her pregnant. She and the child move into his house. They don't get married. He puts a kitchen unit in the box bedroom and she claims unmarried mothers allowance as well as rent allowance for the flat at the top of the house.
    And then everyone clapped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'm hoping against hope that the OP is trolling. These sorts of stories piss me off and make me wonder why I bother working and pay a mortgage.

....... wrote: »

He gave a lease. That was why the kitchen unit was put in the upstairs boxroom. It was claimed to be a separate flat.

• Advertisement

TresGats wrote: »

Why don’t you and your friend ask the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Ah the weekly dole/free house bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭joe199

Op has to be trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

....... wrote: »

At the time it was going on the health board paid the Rent Allowance. It wasn't a council house.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Ah the weekly dole/free house bashing thread.

Economy is booming and the boot is going into the sick and poor

Sad state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I suspect this thread will be closed once a mod looks at it or some warning. Why are people using the council not able to inherit some money? I won’t comment on what is possible here as I don’t know enough about it but I’d stop begrudging the op if he inherited some money

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

À council tenancy is a tenancy for life. When your friend received the house they had a housing need and were assesed on the basis of their circumstances. Although His circumstances have altered somewhat from the time he was awarded his tenancy that does not affect his position now. Your friend can buy the property and he will not loose his tenancy. His rent will not go up either unless he rents the holiday cottage out and makes an income from it, the rent is assessed on the weekly household income rather than assets. People might not like this fact but it is how the system works.

To the poster who said that their friend was leaving his council house empty to live with his girlfriend, this isn't that unusual. People are usually caught when a neighbour or someone in the vicinity has a family member on the housing list rings the council to complain about the tenant. There will usually be an investigation and wherever possible the tenant will be brought to court to get the house back if they do not voluntarily surrender their tenancy. If you are going to contact the council about this think long and hard about it your friend could be put under surveillance and have to go through a lengthy legal battle . We know what he is doing is selfish, but do you want it on your conscience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The injustice in having to pay for people like this is maddening

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement