Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Tree for front garden

Options
  • 13-07-2018 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I'm looking for a small tree for my front garden. The garden is North facing.

I'm thinking of a weeping willow type, no more than 5 feet when mature and with nice flowers in summer. I used to have one like this years ago, but it died.

Also, where is the best place in north Dublin that can deliver and plant for me?

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

I'm looking for a small tree for my front garden. The garden is North facing.

I'm thinking of a weeping willow type, no more than 5 feet when mature and with nice flowers in summer. I used to have one like this years ago, but it died.

Also, where is the best place in north Dublin that can deliver and plant for me?

T
    The linked page might give some viable suggestions, but can't really recommend one myself as I don't really like what I have seen of the small weeping habit tree you are looking for. The one on the list that stands out as meeting what you are looking for would likely be salix caprea kilmarnock but again it is a type of tree I would be reluctant to plant as I just don't like the way they grow myself.

Just a matter of taste I suppose but I'd be more inclined to put in a Japanese acer and keep it trimmed to the size you require. Got an Acer bloodgood myself and it is still at about 4 foot tall after being planted almost four years without any pruning. I have seen it grown bigger but that would be after a couple of decades of unrestricted growth.

5foot is a very small size for a tree so if you are setting this as your limit you would probably need to prune or restrict the roots severely and grow the tree almost like a bonsai. Some fruit trees like gala apples are bred to grow small with the correct root stock but for a front garden the fruit might be a problem more than something to enjoy. The flowers are nice however so might be another type to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Look for a nice shrub rather than a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tree lupin...I miss mine.. fragrant

Advertisement