Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing sparkling wine for personal usage

Options
  • 13-07-2018 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

Just a quick question, I would like to import around 45 litres of Sparkling wine from France to Ireland by boat.
    I called customs and they said no customs applied.
    My partner and I would like to know if, for that kind of amounts we do need to pay the "excise duty tax" which is 849.68€ per hectolitres.

France VAT for alcohol is at 20% and here in Ireland at 23% so I know ill have to pay for that.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

barry1708 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Just a quick question, I would like to import around 45 litres of Sparkling wine from France to Ireland by boat.
    I called customs and they said no customs applied.
    My partner and I would like to know if, for that kind of amounts we do need to pay the "excise duty tax" which is 849.68€ per hectolitres.

France VAT for alcohol is at 20% and here in Ireland at 23% so I know ill have to pay for that.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/alcohol-products-tax/alcohol-products-tax/when-do-i-pay-alcohol-products-tax.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If you are bringing it in personally (in your car or boat) for personal consumption you can import 60 litres of sparkling wine or up to 110 litres of unfortified wine if the duty has already been paid in France. You might be asked for proof that this has been paid. If you are having it delivered / shipped by Fedex /whoever and the French supplier is not registered with Irish Revenue you will be hit by taxes (if you can find a French supplier prepared to ship to Ireland).

Advertisement