Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry Cavill forced to apologize for #metoo comments

• 13-07-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don’t know if this has been talked about already here but I’ve only just. come across it and am interested in my fellow boardsies think.

Actor Henry Cavill has been forced to apologize for comments related to the MeToo movement. I’m writing this on my phone so can’t link anything just now bit basically he said he’s afraid to approach women for fear of being accused of something he didn’t do which didn’t go down well with feminazi brigade and metooers.

Personally I think he’s got a point and I don’t like the way the metoo movement is determined to deny men their voices and twist everything they say.

I think he has perfectly legitimate concerns and he’s likely not the only one. Metoo was a good thing in the beginning but now it’s a witch hunt and I can understand completely the fears men have as a result.

Afterhours thoughts?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

I just went for a massive ****. I enjoyed every moment of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

He's good looking he won't have any issues.

That's the thing with these types of women they can turn the bull**** on and off when suits thrm.

Especially when superman appears.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don’t know if this has been talked about already here but I’ve only just. come across it and am interested in my fellow boardsies think.

Actor Henry Cavill has been forced to apologize for comments related to the MeToo movement. I’m writing this on my phone so can’t link anything just now bit basically he said he’s afraid to approach women for fear of being accused of something he didn’t do which didn’t go down well with feminazi brigade and metooers.

Personally I think he’s got a point and I don’t like the way the metoo movement is determined to deny men their voices and twist everything they say.

I think he has perfectly legitimate concerns and he’s likely not the only one. Metoo was a good thing in the beginning but now it’s a witch hunt and I can understand completely the fears men have as a result.

Afterhours thoughts?

Yep. And then you get the women who complain because no one ever chats them up in a nightclub.

What he should do is apologise for being scared, but the not actual comment.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Cue weird sad person who comes up with a skewed and twisted man hating argument to make him look like Jimmy Saville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Do the things that people get offended at surprise anyone anymore? It was a light-hearted joke that most sane people see as completely inoffensive.

Honestly, Twitter/Facebook/Instagram need to be done away with. Whenever you see these stories about faux-outrage/uproar, it's mostly people complaining on social media.

I miss the days when the only people who had to deal with these fúcking moron's opinions were the people who were unfortunate enough to live near them or work with them. But no, now my daily news feed is heavily influenced by drooling idiots on the other side of the globe who are either doing it for attention, or are too incredibly dumb to know better, or both. Most likely both, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Life is better when you delete Twitter, Facebook and all other social media as you then realise the world isn't gone overly PC it's just the internet has been taken over by a bunch of overly sensitive eejets.

Innocent comment, shouldn't have to apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

By apologising you give these people power, it's an admission of guilt.

He did nothing wrong here, he merely expressed an opinion.

Never apologise if you did nothing wrong. It's terrible for your self esteem and confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Should be apologising for Justice League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I constantly joke with a mate of mine that if I was to ever somehow manage to sleep with someone again, I'll have to record them giving me permission to have sex with them. Scary thing is, it's a likely requirement these days.

Ok, I may be over-exaggerating a little... Just a little though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

By apologising you give these people power, it's an admission of guilt.

He did nothing wrong here, he merely expressed an opinion.

Never apologise if you did nothing wrong. It's terrible for your self esteem and confidence.

True but it’s a prudent business call IMO. Sponsors and some studios will stay away from any toxic metoo stuff. If apologizing gets them off your back it’s prob worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This must be a very difficult time for this handsome millionaire actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I constantly joke with a mate of mine that if I was to ever somehow manage to sleep with someone again, I'll have to record them giving me permission to have sex with them. Scary thing is, it's a likely requirement these days.

Ok, I may be over-exaggerating a little... Just a little though.

I expect consenting people to do the deed signing off a form in some designated government run motel in the next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

People will be needing to sign consent forms now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Here's a link, which offers a bit of context -

'Insensitivity was absolutely not my intention' - Henry Cavill apologises after #MeToo comments

So he wasn't forced to apologise, he chose to.

Afterhours thoughts?

He wasn't making the point you think he was making though, nor did he intend the point he did make to be taken out of context, and he makes that point himself -

He added: “This experience has taught me a valuable lesson as to the context and the nuance of editorial liberties.

Your opening post is the kind of editorial liberties he was referring to, or rather more specifically the editorial liberties taken by the editors of GQ Australia magazine in this case to present a narrative of Henry Cavill and his opinions in a way in which he had not intended.

It's not much of a story really tbh, both sides seeing what they want and all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Metoo movement is a big load of bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Taytoland wrote: »
    Metoo movement is a big load of bollocks.

Nope there's absolutely no bollocks involved.fannys only.

The amount of women who've been sexually assaulted in Ireland is pretty sickening. The metoo movement exposed this didn't it? Women came forward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I sexually assaulted myself the other night, it was sickening and exhilarating at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    The amount of women who've been sexually assaulted in Ireland is pretty sickening. The metoo movement exposed this didn't it? Women came forward.

#metoo is fine for pointing out past abuses. In this case a guy merely says he is afraid to flirt. And then needs to apologise.

I doubt it was totally voluntary either. Might have been but a few agents or producers might have had a word.

#metoo is fine for pointing out past abuses. In this case a guy merely says he is afraid to flirt. And then needs to apologise.

I doubt it was totally voluntary either. Might have been but a few agents or producers might have had a word.

Don't know who it is and I couldn't give a **** to be honest. The metoo movement was a good thing though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

My opinion on it is very simply. Something can only be sexual harassment after it's already been rebuffed. An initial approach, however forward, simply cannot be "harassment" because "harassment" implies something persistent, not a once-off.

Ergo, someone coming up to me and saying "I wanna be on you" a la Ron Burgundy may be lewd and lascivious, but the word "harassment" only applies if it happens again after I tell the individual I'm not interested.

As far as physical contact goes, unwanted sexual contact is sexual assault. Conflating this with harassment is also causing unnecessary confusion as to what harassment actually implies. Even once-off sexual contact without consent is sexual assault, but once-off comments in the hopes of opening a sexual dialogue with something is not wrong, and it's moronic as a society that we're trying to change this.

The #metoo movement was a good thing as far as it pertained to sexual assault, or sexual coercion (do this or you don't get the job), but the minute it branched out into including what is an entirely subjective thing - "this guy's sexual advance was too forward, he should have been more coy about it" - was when it lost my support. Because one person's "too forward" is another person's "not forward enough". There's no agreed upon barometer for it, so using it to ruin peoples' lives is plain and simple stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It was definitely blown out of proportion but I'm not exactly surprised by the backlash he received. Instead of dealing with an opposing argument by putting forth a rebuttal, he was basically attacked for having an opinion because he's a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The apology was bizarre and over the top, desperate even. He probably could have phrased what he said a bit better but the crux of what he is saying is a massive issue. Approaching a woman is a minefield now a days. And even for a very handsome, well known actor, if he approached a woman even politely, he could end up as the next "Me Too".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

nonsense

this whole thing will end up exactly the opposite of what "this movement" is trying to achieve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

"I used to support X but this shows that X has gone too far" is about the least convincing argument ever. It's amazing that people still try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

He should have doubled down instead of apologising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Superperson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Who forced him to apologise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

thebull85 wrote: »
    Who forced him to apologise?

His career prospects and publicity efforts.

Lot of people in that industry need to walk the walk. For their own benefit of course. Better man would stick it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I understand him apologizing. These people are relentless and I'm sure he just wants to do whatever it takes to get them to f-off.

Don't know who it is and I couldn't give a **** to be honest. The metoo movement was a good thing though.

Why are you posting on a thread about the guy then? The information is in the original post.

RayCun wrote: »
    "I used to support X but this shows that X has gone too far" is about the least convincing argument ever. It's amazing that people still try it.

Why? Things invariably go too far.

The #metoo movement starts with Weinstein and ends with a guy who has to apologise because he says he’s afraid to flirt.

Why are you posting on a thread about the guy then? The information is in the original post.

I'm posting about the metoo movement. Have you not read the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

if he approached a woman even politely, he could end up as the next "Me Too".

He really couldn't.

I'm posting about the metoo movement. Have you not read the thread?

The thread is about Henry Cavill and his interview.

• Advertisement

The thread is about Henry Cavill and his interview.

Maybe you should re-read the thread. Even if you read the title of the thread it will help you out.

Exposed it? I dunno about that since I've never noticed any gag order on Irish women, or anything which prevented them from speaking before. The Metoo campaign simply broadened what was considered sexual assault to include just about anything a woman might be offended by.

It did highlight some actual harassment or assault, but it's message was seriously diminished by the amount of minor crap reported.

One bigger issue though was the lack of followup. It was simply women stating their experiences and no effort to determine the truth of the claims.

Maybe you should re-read the thread. Even if you read the title of the thread it will help you out.

The title is exactly why I said what I said. So is the op. So is every other post apart from yours.

Exposed it? I dunno about that since I've never noticed any gag order on Irish women, or anything which prevented them from speaking before. The Metoo campaign simply broadened what was considered sexual assault to include just about anything a woman might be offended by.

It did highlight some actual harassment or assault, but it's message was seriously diminished by the amount of minor crap reported.

One bigger issue though was the lack of followup. It was simply women stating their experiences and no effort to determine the truth of the claims.

It showed how deep it went. How much hassle women have on nights out etc. Obviously the number of sexual assaults and rapes are staggering.

The title is exactly why I said what I said. So is the op. So is every other post apart from yours.

Can you not see metoo in nearly every post and the title of the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

He's good looking he won't have any issues.

That's the thing with these types of women they can turn the bull**** on and off when suits thrm.

Especially when superman appears.....

He's good looking and the star in multiple major motion picture series [Superman and Justice League] He is the perfect target for false allegations.

He shouldn't have apologized. He was dead on.

It showed how deep it went. How much hassle women have on nights out etc.

Women have always received a degree of harassment, and it's been well known. Most guys are raised to be polite and not to harass women (and behave that way)... the minority of men who break the boundaries have been doing so before, and after "metoo".

Instead, we have a "metoo" movement where some claims were about being harassed because the woman felt harassed because a guy she wasn't attracted to, simply asked her out. There was a wide range of claims of harassment from the serious to the nonsensical.
    Obviously the number of sexual assaults and rapes are staggering.

Why staggering?

Both sexual assaults and Rapes should be reported and investigated. Otherwise, they're simply claims and without foundation. Without reporting claims of either rape or assault, then records can't be made, and actual realistic statistics formulated with a clear idea of the real problem.

Instead, we have thousands of vague claims made anonymously, and not investigated by any official organisation. That doesn't help anybody.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He's good looking and the star in multiple major motion picture series [Superman and Justice League] He is the perfect target for false allegations.

He shouldn't have apologized. He was dead on.

He apologised because of what happened to Aziz. The internet and social media are very quick to convict someone based on the claims of a woman regardless of any evidence being provided.

I agree that he shouldn't have apologised, because that just sets a precedent for every other star to be ultra-careful about what they say/do. It's giving more power to the critics.

Women have always received a degree of harassment, and it's been well known. Most guys are raised to be polite and not to harass women (and behave that way)... the minority of men who break the boundaries have been doing so before, and after "metoo".

Instead, we have a "metoo" movement where some claims were about being harassed because the woman felt harassed because a guy she wasn't attracted to, simply asked her out. There was a wide range of claims of harassment from the serious to the nonsensical.

Why staggering?

Both sexual assaults and Rapes should be reported and investigated. Otherwise, they're simply claims and without foundation. Without reporting claims of either rape or assault, then records can't be made, and actual realistic statistics formulated with a clear idea of the real problem.

Instead, we have thousands of vague claims made anonymously, and not investigated by any official organisation. That doesn't help anybody.

I think it shows that women are frightened to even report these attacks. And with the knowledge of how difficult it is to get a rape conviction, can you blame them? This is far more worrying than any thing you talked about.

This must be a very difficult time for this handsome millionaire actor.

Same for the actresses who claimed to be part of the #metoo movement while strutting down the self-publicity catwalk in their latest designer gear. Slactivism has never been in a healthier state.

I think it shows that women are frightened to even report these attacks.

Why are they afraid to report the attacks? We don't live in the 60s anymore. The idea that women won't be believed is ridiculous considering the way society & the law has changed over the last thirty years.

Edit: In fact, have a look at some of the false rape claims within this year... yup, proven to be false. But consider the lack of evidence involved, and yet, the claims still made it as far as a judge.
    And with the knowledge of how difficult it is to get a rape conviction, can you blame them? This is far more worrying than any thing you talked about.

And this is why it won't change. If more women come forward, present their cases, and be investigated, then our understanding and ability to process rape claims improves. As each case is investigated and determined as to it's validity, then we can actually determine if the system is flawed against rape claimants.

Right now, all we have is vague suggestions. Which will do nothing to change anything (for the better anyway... I rather suspect it'll change things for the worse for everyone instead).

Why are they afraid to report the attacks? We don't live in the 60s anymore. The idea that women won't be believed is ridiculous considering the way society & the law has changed over the last thirty years.

And this is why it won't change. If more women come forward, present their cases, and be investigated, then our understanding and ability to process rape claims improves. As each case is investigated and determined as to it's validity, then we can actually determine if the system is flawed against rape claimants.

Right now, all we have is vague suggestions. Which will do nothing to change anything.

Eh? We already know how hard it is to convict rapists. Women have come forward and their attackers have got a away with it. Women get labelled as sluts and are not believed. They get raped and then humiliated.
    I don't know what vague suggestions you are talking about. Have you ever met rape victims? Do you not know someone who's had to go through the ordeal of a court case?

Eh? We already know how hard it is to convict rapists. Women have come forward and their attackers have got a away with it. Women get labelled as sluts and are not believed. They get raped and then humiliated.

Step back, consider what I responded to and what I wrote. You're moving away from it. Although, I'm guessing based on your escalating dramatic posting, that this isn't about having a fair system, but rather that women should be believed regardless of any evidence except their word..
    I don't know what vague suggestions you are talking about. Have you ever met rape victims? Do you not know someone who's had to go through the ordeal of a court case?

Vague suggestions..... the metoo campaign. Unverified statements.

And yes, I do know women who had been raped before. Nope, I've never known any woman going through a rape case, although I have known a guy who was accused of raping someone, and thankfully, was found innocent. And although, she was found to have made a false claim, his reputation didn't survive the case.

Step back, consider what I responded to and what I wrote. You're moving away from it. Although, I'm guessing based on your escalating dramatic posting, that this isn't about having a fair system, but rather that women should be believed regardless of any evidence except their word..

Vague suggestions..... the metoo campaign. Unverified statements.

And yes, I do know women who had been raped before. Nope, I've never known any woman going through a rape case, although I have known a guy who was accused of raping someone, and thankfully, was found innocent. His reputation didn't survive the case though.

Basically you look at women telling their stories of being abused and raped but instead of saying, this isn't right, women shouldn't be attacked and abused regularly, you're saying, let's doubt all their stories.
    It's a twisted way of viewing things. Women aren't all liars, the shocking number of stories about women getting attacked, raped, abused isn't just a conspiracy by all women to make men look bad. It's fact, not 100% of it but a very high percentage.
    Isn't that what we should be worried about? Making sure rapists get punished and face justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

He apologised because of what happened to Aziz. The internet and social media are very quick to convict someone based on the claims of a woman regardless of any evidence being provided.

I agree that he shouldn't have apologised, because that just sets a precedent for every other star to be ultra-careful about what they say/do. It's giving more power to the critics.

The problem with apologizing when you shouldn't is that its encouraging this behavior even more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement