Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry Cavill forced to apologize for #metoo comments

1111213141517»

Comments

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    It's you who is ignoring what's been said.

Ok. I'm convinced you don't actually read the posts submitted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

It does when there is no effort made to separate the rapists/scumbags from the gender. The vast majority of articles/observations arising from the metoo campaign refer to the male gender as a whole. They're not trying to make any real distinction about the behavior of individuals, and instead, it's about aspects like "toxic masculinity" or a "rape culture" where the whole male gender is made responsible. It's the same with "consent classes" where calls are being made to bring them in for boys... regardless of the fact that most males do not force/break consent. The actions of the few are being attributed to the whole, and 'we' are being made responsible for that.

And the metoo campaign doesn't seek to establish a framework regarding the types of claims, where and when they happened, or frequency. If someone experienced something 50 years ago, it's being added to the claims about recent events. There is no effort being made to distinguish between the circumstances of the claims, and so everything is inflated.

It's really not that difficult to see it as an attack on our gender, since there is a lack of similar initiatives or declarations about "female" violence. In that case, the amount of female violence is low, but if we were to apply the same logic being used about male violence, it wouldn't matter. We should still be seeing claims about "toxic femininity", or consent classes for women. There is a ton of double standards being applied... and the use of logic is very selective.

The majority of rapists are male, the huge majority. This is a fact and can't be disputed. That might be where you're getting confused. Toxic masculinity is talking about these rapists and scumbags at that level. They are toxic.

That's who you should be getting angry at. There would be no talk of consent classes etc without these toxic males. We stamp out them and then we stamp out all the stuff you're complaining about.

It really is that simple. If the overwhelming majority of rapists were female then we'd be talking about these toxic females. It's not.

professore wrote: »
    Nope not confused at all. The agenda is very clear.

Yes it's very clear. It's an attack on rapists and other scumbags. If you don't participate in the type of behaviour these toxic males participate in, then you have nothing to worry about.

Good God. The logic...

Ok. I'm convinced you don't actually read the posts submitted.

Look in the mirror.

Good God. The logic...

I don't know why you're getting offended! I can't make it clearer, the metoo movement is not an attack on all males, it's an attack on males who rape, harass and abuse women.

Look in the mirror.

This has gone beyond childish, and tedious. You are incapable of addressing individual points or supporting your "beliefs" (admittedly after all these pages I'm still not clear if you actually believe the sexist rubbish you're posting)

Still. I am finally done. Second time is a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I think it's ridiculous that Henry Cavill felt the need to apologise in this instance, he didn't say anything remotely offensive.

I used to roll my eyes about some of the #metoo stuff until I went on a night out a few months ago and I was raped. In the aftermath I wasn't sure how to feel about what happened and had many people on this site tell me that I had "buyer's remorse" or the equivalent. It opened my eyes a lot.

This has gone beyond childish, and tedious. You are incapable of addressing individual points or supporting your "beliefs" (admittedly after all these pages I'm still not clear if you actually believe the sexist rubbish you're posting)

Still. I am finally done. Second time is a charm.

This is just crazy! I have not said one thing that can be considered as sexist. At this stage I think the male posters on here will get offended at everything.

• Advertisement

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that Henry Cavill felt the need to apologise in this instance, he didn't say anything remotely offensive.

I used to roll my eyes about some of the #metoo stuff until I went on a night out a few months ago and I was raped. In the aftermath I wasn't sure how to feel about what happened and had many people on this site tell me that I had "buyer's remorse" or the equivalent. It opened my eyes a lot.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you are recovering well and have all the support you need. It's a horrible thing to go through.
    I'd consider deleting that post though, it's quite likely you'll have posts directed at you that will be unkind. I hope not but going by posts here it's quite likely.
    Look after yourself and I wish you the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The majority of rapists are male, the huge majority. This is a fact and can't be disputed.

Not only is it a fact, it's an automatic given in this jurisdiction. No woman in this country has ever been convicted of rape because they're not capable of it according to the law, as far as I know. Now tell me that's not sexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you are recovering well and have all the support you need. It's a horrible thing to go through.
    I'd consider deleting that post though, it's quite likely you'll have posts directed at you that will be unkind. I hope not but going by posts here it's quite likely.

Trolling everyone is one thing but faking empathy is pretty pathetic.

Trolling everyone is one thing but faking empathy is pretty pathetic.

What is wrong with you? Do you not have any sympathy for rape victims at all?

This is just crazy! I have not said one thing that can be considered as sexist.

Followed by....
    At this stage I think the male posters on here will get offended at everything.

This sh*t is bananas... B-A-N-A-N-A-S! Just absolutely startling and mind-boggling! Very worrying if it's real and not a troll game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

What is wrong with you? Do you not have any sympathy for rape victims at all?

If you had even the slightest respect for rape victims you wouldn't use their experiences to make petty insults and troll people.

• Advertisement

If you had even the slightest respect for rape victims you wouldn't use their experiences to make petty insults and troll people.

Am, I think you'll find it is you who's making petty insults! I notice you haven't said anything to Cleopatra. Why is that?
    I wished her well and am just warning her to be careful.

It was a scummy post. Suggesting people on here would rise up and have a go. Those toxic men! Absolutely lower than a snakes belly. I wonder if the poster Cleopatra hadn't included her story and only said the part about Henry not needing to apologise, would the outlook be different. I'm betting it would. You'd be against the agenda then of course.

Cleopatra, I hope you can see that people here questioning some of the #MeToo types is not a slight against actual victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Yes it's very clear. It's an attack on rapists and other scumbags. If you don't participate in the type of behaviour these toxic males participate in, then you have nothing to worry about.

Let's rewrite this from my example shall we?

Yes it's very clear. It's an attack on criminals and other scumbags. If you don't participate in the type of behaviour these toxic black people participate in, then you have nothing to worry about.

professore wrote: »
    Let's rewrite this from my example shall we?

Yes it's very clear. It's an attack on criminals and other scumbags. If you don't participate in the type of behaviour these toxic black people participate in, then you have nothing to worry about.

What is this? Are you trying to say that crime is committed by black people in 90+% of cases? This is mental stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: DONTMATTER, don't post in this thread again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I was about to like your post after reading the first line.

What you said next is absolutely disgusting and appalling misrepresentation of the posters here. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

LLMMLL wrote: »
    As long as he behaves appropriately he’ll be fine.

If only it were that simple. This may come as a shock to some people but women can and do lie. They can and do make mistakes. They can and do twist regret in something it isn’t.

As a woman I don’t like where metoo has taken us.

Advertisement