Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry Cavill forced to apologize for #metoo comments

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

This is by far the most retarded thing I've ever read on this site.

Using words like that really doesn't paint a good picture of your character.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Using words like that really don't paint a good picture of your character.

Says the person insinuating that I support rapists by lying and saying I get offended when they are attacked.

I'd much rather be known for foul language than for what you've been doing here for days.

I'm going to drop out of this conversation again. The point of the metoo campaign is being ignored and the I'm finding a lot of the responses here quite worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm going to drop out of this conversation again. The point of the metoo campaign is being ignored and the I'm finding a lot of the responses here quite worrying.

You should be more concerned about your own posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Rennaws wrote: »
    It does. It also targets sexual assault and harassment.

We have laws to protect citizens from all of the above.

But you said there are other avenues of change apart from law and order..

I asked you what they are..

So what are they ?

Um the cultural change I mentioned. People speaking out against the behaviour. This is an avenue of change.

This whole thread started because an actor made some comments that showed he has examined his own behaviour. Would that actor have spontaneously considered how he behaves without metoo? I doubt it.

I see you've downgraded it now to just sh1tty behaviour.

That's convenient given where our discussion is headed..

Is this downgrade the official line or just yours ?

Or is this all just driven by some anonymous mindless mob mentality on the internet..

Again metoo encompasses a wide range of behaviours.

For instance the guy who tried To push my friends drunk girlfriend into a taxi. Or men who follow a woman down a street making comments after she’s already declined his advances.

There’s been no downgrade. These behaviours have always fallen under metoo.

Well this is the problem for me. If there's no man, there's no crime. It's just some anonymous stranger waffling on the internet. I have no idea nor interest whether they're telling the truth or not because it can never be backed up or corroborated.

Come up with an accused, an accuser and an accusation and you've got yourself something we can talk about.

After the trial of course ;)

If you don’t want to discuss things further then that’s your choice.

But there’s plenty to discuss.

Take an hour off and look at how other people are engaging in debate here. You're the only poster who finds it absolutely impossible, and it's because of the reasons I pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

This thread is not about the point of the #MeToo campaign. I doubt if anyone posting here doubts that a lot of sexual assault, sleazy stuff etc goes on. More than I thought for sure. We have the #MeToo movement to thank for that. However now it's being used by some to poison normal human interaction. Like Netflix's no hugs and no looking at anyone for more than 4 seconds. This is wrong and counterproductive for interactions between the sexes.

If I was a famous man I would be recording everything and not allowing myself alone time with any woman or man for that matter unless contracts were signed beforehand.

professore wrote: »
    Like Netflix's no hugs and no looking at anyone for more than 4 seconds.

What the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Again you're ignoring the serious one's. These are what are of concern. The thousands of women who have been raped and assaulted. Every woman I've spoken to about this has had a horrible experience in the past. Metoo has highlighted this and it's a good thing. Now we must do something about it.

But it’s not about that, not anymore and that’s the problem.

Your posts are exactly the reason men like Henry Cavill are afraid to come near women.

I think you need to take your own advice and stop ignoring the negative side of MeToo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's not all about rape, there's many other cases, you need to read more metoo stories, you need to talk to women close to you more often.

Ffirst of all I never mentioned rape there is a lot more then rape a person can go to the police with. I know women with horrible times been out I have helped them out and creeps ate creeps but guess what it's not just women who have these situations.

What would you think would happen if men started a campaign on social media about them. Also as others have asked how are the accusers meant to respond and put up a defence maybe the women is not telling the whole truth 2 sides and all that or she has made it up or exaggerated it. Do you believe them all and just proclaim the man guilty.

I had no problem with the #metoo campaign as I believe it was set up for a very good cause to get the conversation started and to get support but it has gone in a totally different way now and does more harm then good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Um the cultural change I mentioned. People speaking out against the behaviour. This is an avenue of change.

This whole thread started because an actor made some comments that showed he has examined his own behaviour. Would that actor have spontaneously considered how he behaves without metoo? I doubt it.

What do you mean he examined his behaviour?

He hadn't done anything wrong in the first place, the point he was making was he almost feels afraid to approach a woman in case he is accused of something.

And reading the hysterical posts of one peep here I don't blame him.

What do you mean he examined his behaviour?

He hadn't done anything wrong in the first place, the point he was making was he almost feels afraid to approach a woman in case he is accused of something.

And reading the hysterical posts of one peep here I don't blame him.

I didn’t say he’d done anything wrong. But he clearly has examined his attitude to approaching women.

You may think that’s a good or bad thing, but it’s still a change. Many posters here would claim that change can only be brought through legal measures. That’s clearly not true.

I didn’t say he’d done anything wrong. But he clearly has examined his attitude to approaching women.

You may think that’s a good or bad thing, but it’s still a change. Many posters here would claim that change can only be brought through legal measures. That’s clearly not true.

He examined his attitude?

Again, there was no attitude to examine.

You really should read the OP and see what HC actually said.

He examined his attitude?

Again, there was no attitude to examine.

You really should read the OP and see what HC actually said.

I have read his comments. Seems pretty clear he’s going to take a softly softly approach with women now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I have read his comments. Seems pretty clear he’s going to take a softly softly approach with women now.

He said what he had to say to get people like you off his back.

People are losing their careers over nothing..

I’d do whatever I had to do too..

He said what he had to say to get people like you off his back.

People are losing their careers over nothing..

I’d do whatever I had to do too..

I’m talking about the original interview. His career was not at stake.

I’m talking about the original interview. His career was not at stake.

Of course it was. That's what he was saying. He'll be incredibly careful when approaching females in future..

It's coming from a position of fear..

That's not healthy..

That's where the metoo movement has brought us..

• Advertisement

Of course it was. That's what he was saying. He'll be incredibly careful when approaching females in future..

That's not healthy..

If a man doesn’t harass a woman out of fear that’s fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

That's not healthy..

I don't think Henry Cavill is talking about harassing women though, is he? He was talking about simple flirting.

#metoo will thankfully fall apart as the lunatic element is already exposing itself.

In one line you encapsulate everything that's wrong with the movement..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

congratulations-you-missed-the-point-entirely.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Will this signal the end of the human race?,where man is afraid to approach woman for fear of being accused of something. Ludicrous situation we have gotten too.

That's not healthy..

There's nothing to be fearful about.

Think about it, your complaining because a man says he has to be careful when approaching women. A position of fear you say, compare that with the fear of being raped or assaulted that many women have after being attacked!

• Advertisement

That's a step in the right direction but we need to teach young males that it's wrong. Obviously what we're doing now is not working.

I don't think Henry Cavill is talking about harassing women though, is he? He was talking about simple flirting.

#metoo will thankfully fall apart as the lunatic element is already exposing itself.

To be honest I think it has exposed another side. We all know rapists and sexual deviants exist but I thought the numbers of them was quite small. I'm sure others thought the same.
    The metoo campaign has shown that the numbers of these types of scum is actually a lot higher.

That's a step in the right direction but we need to teach young males that it's wrong.

Very Louise O'Neill-esk comment.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Will this signal the end of the human race?,where man is afraid to approach woman for fear of being accused of something. Ludicrous situation we have gotten too.

Well don't you think women have fears about being approached by men? Which is more frightening?

py2006 wrote: »
    Very Louise O'Neill-esk comment.

Who's that and what's wrong with teaching young males about sexual behaviour?

• Advertisement

Who's that and what's wrong with teaching young males about sexual behaviour?

Shes one of your leaders, worship her!

Nothing wrong with teaching young PEOPLE about sexual behaviour. But what you are really saying is teach young MEN to not rape or harass. Because, we all need to be taught that, don't ya know!

That's a step in the right direction but we need to teach young males that it's wrong. Obviously what we're doing now is not working.

That's a typical radfem comment right there, most young men don't need to be told how to treat women because they are decent human beings.

And even if we go with your line of thinking how about we "teach" both genders instead of singling out only young men.

Think about it, your complaining because a man says he has to be careful when approaching women. A position of fear you say, compare that with the fear of being raped or assaulted that many women have after being attacked!

Thankfully I have no idea what you're on about..

This is not a rational conversation.

I'm out..

He said pursuing after she’s already said no. If you think that’s flirting......

UrbanFret wrote: »

You’re positing the end of the human race. I don’t think it’s the current situation that’s ludicrous......

Depends on context.

Shes one of your leaders, worship her!

Nothing wrong with teaching young PEOPLE about sexual behaviour. But what you are really saying is teach you MEN to not rape or harass. Because, we all need to be taught that, don't ya know!

What are you talking about?

Well look at the statistics, who commits more rapes and sexual assaults? Men by a very wide margin. You and I might need to be taught but too many are participating in scummy behaviour as we can see from the metoo campaign.

That's a typical radfem comment right there, most young men don't need to be told how to treat women because they are decent human beings.

And even if we go with your line of thinking how about we "teach" both genders instead of singling out only young men.

Of course most young men are decent, did I ever say different? As I said, too many are treating women as pieces of meat, that needs to change.

Thankfully I have no idea what you're on about..

This is not a rational conversation.

I'm out..

So a man says he fearful of approaching women and you're shouting about the metoo movement going to far but
    women say they're fearful of going anywhere alone or they've been attacked in the past and you tell them to prove it or they're just mad feminists!

There’s too many contexts to give a list. Did you have any particular situation in mind?

• Advertisement

He said pursuing after she’s already said no. If you think that’s flirting......
    "Cavill, 35, had appeared to suggest in the interview that flirting with somebody would be like “casting myself into the fires of hell”, as a person in the public eye.

The actor said he thinks “stuff has to change” regarding the behaviour of some men, but that “it’s important to also retain the good things, which were a quality of the past, and get rid of the bad things”."

Deary me. Get a grip will ya!

What are you talking about?

Well look at the statistics, who commits more rapes and sexual assaults? Men by a very wide margin. You and I might need to be taught but too many are participating in scummy behaviour as we can see from the metoo campaign.

Rape aside, I think a lot of women need to be taught about sexual harassment, inappropriate comments and advances etc. It really isn't on their radar as people like you tell them that only men do it to women. The reality is women often get away with it. Ask any man who has worn a kilt for one example.

As I said on here before, myself and other male posters have commented on Boards before about being touched, grabbed pinched inappropriately on nights out. I've had comments made to me in the workplace about my ass, my crotch etc by women that I know full well I would be in a shed load of trouble if I made similar comments about female colleagues genitalia. Its all banter of course but women get away with it.

"Cavill, 35, had appeared to suggest in the interview that flirting with somebody would be like “casting myself into the fires of hell”, as a person in the public eye.

The actor said he thinks “stuff has to change” regarding the behaviour of some men, but that “it’s important to also retain the good things, which were a quality of the past, and get rid of the bad things”."

My grip is fine thanks:

“Now? Now you really can’t pursue someone further than, ‘No’.”

Rape aside, I think a lot of women need to be taught about sexual harassment, inappropriate comments and advances etc. It really isn't on their radar as people like you tell them that only men do it to women. The reality is women often get away with it. Ask any man who has worn a kilt for one example.

As I said on here before, myself and other male posters have commented on Boards before about being touched, grabbed pinched inappropriately on nights out. I've had comments made to me in the workplace about my ass, my crotch etc by women that I know full well I would be in a shed load of trouble if I made similar comments about female colleagues genitalia. Its all banter of course but women get away with it.

Why didn't you report it to the police? You're only someone on the internet, why should we believe you? Go to court to prove your story.

I'd like to see that quote, I've read a few articles about this and can't see in any of them where he actually said this.

I'd like to see that quote, I've read a few articles about this and can't see in any of them where he actually said this.

“Now? Now you really can’t pursue someone further than, ‘No’.

Why didn't you report it to the police? You're only someone on the internet, why should we believe you? Go to court to prove your story.

And what kind of response would a man get?

The touching and grabbing happened in my teens and early twenties in night clubs which I hardly frequented compared to others.

The workplace comments were just banter and at worse I was embarrassed. But you don't see men huddling together all offended collectively and starting social media movements against women. The only reason that it annoys me somewhat is because certain posters on here remind me of the ENORMOUS double standard in society.

My grip is fine thanks:

“Now? Now you really can’t pursue someone further than, ‘No’.”
    And? I'm not seeing any quotes from the man where he says it was alright before.

His comments were quite clearly and succinctly about FLIRTING. Disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

And what kind of response would a man get?

The touching and grabbing happened in my teens and early twenties in night clubs which I hardly frequented compared to others.

The workplace comments were just banter and at worse I was embarrassed. But you don't see men huddling together all offended collectively and starting social media movements against women. The only reason that on reflecting it annoys me somewhat is the double standard.

You're on here with your witch hunt, why not go to the Gardaí instead of spreading rumours on social media? Why are you suggesting all women are rapists?

• Advertisement

You're on here with your witch hunt, why not go to the Gardaí instead of spreading rumours on social media? Why are you suggesting all women are rapists?

What in the hell??

Advertisement