Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry Cavill forced to apologize for #metoo comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

py2006 wrote: »
    And what kind of response would a man get?

The touching and grabbing happened in my teens and early twenties in night clubs which I hardly frequented compared to others.

The workplace comments were just banter and at worse I was embarrassed. But you don't see men huddling together all offended collectively and starting social media movements against women. The only reason that it annoys me somewhat is because certain posters on here remind me of the ENORMOUS double standard in society.

This makes no sense at all.

I assume you are taking the party line that harassers of women are a minority of men.

I’m sure you would agree then that the harassers of men are a minority of women. (BTW you’re active enough in the LON thread to have seen that study that shows men harass far more than women and when a man is harassed it’s usually by another man but let’s leave that aside for the moment).

So any woman who is harassed is unlikely to be a harasser herself.

Yet she is not supposed to complain about this harassment because men don’t complain about theirs? What kind of twisted logic is that?

It might be a double standard if she was a harassed herself but by your standards ( assuming you agree that Male harassers are a tiny minority) that’s unlikely.

And? I'm not seeing any quotes from the man where he says it was alright before.

His comments were quite clearly and succinctly about FLIRTING. Disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Not at all. He raised it. He talks about liking the “chase”. It’s beyond simple flirting.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

What in the hell??

Do you not see what I was doing? You thought you were making a reasonable post and you get a hysterical reaction, it's exactly what I have had to put up with on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

LLMMLL wrote: »
    And? I'm not seeing any quotes from the man where he says it was alright before.

His comments were quite clearly and succinctly about FLIRTING. Disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Not at all. He raised it. He talks about liking the “chase”. It’s beyond simple flirting.
    Nope. The episode is a great example of the negative impact of a movement such as #metoo. Thankfully it's days are mercifully numbered as the loonier elements reveal yourse.... themselves.

Nope. The episode is a great example of the negative impact of a movement such as #metoo. Thankfully it's days are mercifully numbers as the loonier elements reveal yourse.... themselves.

*slow clap*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm suddenly reminded why I don't respond to certain posters.

I'm suddenly reminded why I don't respond to certain posters.

:D The realisation has hit you like a ton of bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

“Now? Now you really can’t pursue someone further than, ‘No’.

He could have phrased what he was trying to say a bit better but that's all he is guilty of, there's nothing to suggest that HC has done anything wrong so I don't agree with this witchhunt that has taken place against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    As I said, too many men are treating women as pieces of meat, that needs to change.

Too many fcuknuggets (online, mostly and thanfully) are treating women as perpetual victims. If harassment is going on, report it, confront it. Most people don't agree with harassment. Not all women are poor little delicate flowers either. Many are quite capable of telling annoying sh*theads to p*ss right off.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Too many fcuknuggets (online, mostly and thanfully) are treating women as perpetual victims. If harassment is going on, report it, confront it. Most people don't agree with harassment. Not all women are poor little delicate flowers either. Many are quite capable of telling annoying sh*theads to p*ss right off.

Sure, then they get stalked or killed
    I think theres hysteria on both sides here tbh.
    I also think and have said before that i have no time for disingenuous nonsense about "oh i dont know about flirting anymore". They know full well. And if they genuinely don't then yes, do stay away from "flirting".

• Advertisement

My gripe with this type of issue is that it generalises massively and deals in absolutes. ''Young men need to...'' I'm sorry but why are young men being put in this accusatory spot? Why not just have co-ed consent classes for both genders if that's what the MO is? That way, everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet with the same education.

bluewolf wrote: »

Indeed!

My gripe with this type of issue is that it generalises massively and deals in absolutes. ''Young men need to...'' I'm sorry but why are young men being put in this accusatory spot? Why not just have co-ed consent classes for both genders if that's what the MO is? That way, everyone is singing off the same hymn sheet with the same education.

Yeah i agree on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

bluewolf wrote: »
    I also think and have said before that i have no time for disingenuous nonsense about "oh i dont know about flirting anymore". They know full well. And if they genuinely don't then yes, do stay away from "flirting".

Then you have the otherside where men are perpetual rapists and stalkers ect, and would nearly go as far as having forced re-education classes.

I have equally no time for people who don't see how trial by twitter/reddit ect can be abused.

Look at the Rosemary McCabe crap last year, where she tried to redefine what rape was. It was a form of metoo and you had people trying to figure out who the guy she mentioned was even though she didnt actually say who it was.

What maintains my sanity (the little I've left) is the realisation that the loonies are online.

I'm also thankful I'm not wealthy and famous...

*orders another pint

That's great advice, let's hope they put you in charge of counselling rape victims. Just tell them to piss right off.

That's what people have been saying. Why don't men jump on board and support this instead of taking offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

That's great advice, let's hope they put you in charge of counselling rape victims. Just tell them to piss right off.

Because that's exactly what he's suggesting.. I mean wtf.

What maintains my sanity (the little I've left) is the realisation that the loonies are online.

I'm also thankful I'm not wealthy and famous...

*orders another pint

The worrying thing for women is that the rapists and sexual deviants aren't just restricted to online activity.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Because that's exactly what he's suggesting.. I mean wtf.

Stop treating women as weak little victims, they have to stand up to rapists and tell them to piss off.

• Advertisement

It's not just rape. A lot of men appear to think it's ok to grope women. Look at how many metoo stories about that. It seems to be something that's accepted, this needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's not just rape. A lot of men appear to think it's ok to grope women. Look at how many metoo stories about that. It seems to be something that's accepted, this needs to change.

What if it’s just a quick pinch of an arse or something innocent like that ?

Yes, because that's what the quote was referring to. Absolute lunacy from you yet again. You are coming across as an actual parody. That's why nobody is taking you seriously. You're constantly on at people here to speak with their sisters, mothers, friends etc and see how they get on. I've seen my sister and friends taking these meatheads down (don't really go on the sesh with my mam!). Plenty of the women I know are well capable of telling bozos to hit the road. They're not little flowers. Funnily enough, if they feel threatened it's usually other men who they'll seek help from ie guys in their party or door staff. But yeah, men=scum women=victims.

Stop treating women as weak little victims, they have to stand up to rapists and tell them to piss off.

Fairly certain he wasn't referring to rapists with that particular comment.. does that really need to be highlighted to you?

Case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

My thoughts on certain aspects of this have remained pretty much the same for a while now. My belief is that there is a significant minority of men who persue women in an overly aggressive way, and within this group there are all sorts of variations, the most extreme being flat out rapists. But there are layers upon layers of intangibles and different scenarios. It pretty much goes without saying that sexual harrasment or assault is a very serious issue, but it can only be discussed on a case by case basis.

I know some people don't like hearing this, and may think it's an attempt at downplaying the issue, but certain men do get away with a lot more than others. I have seen this with friends who are on different ends of the attractiveness scale. Man A does something very assertive and gets the woman, while Man B damn near gets the police called on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

don't really go on the sesh with my mam!

She tells them to fuk right off too.

That's what people have been saying. Why don't men jump on board and support this instead of taking offence?

Quite the contrary and the irony is startling. I, a man, have said let's get everyone to do this hypothetical class. You, I assume a woman, have the phrase ''most men'' in nearly all your vitriolic posts. You seek to demonise, to pigeonhole. You probably think of yourself as a feminist or equalitarian but you're quite the opposite from I've seen of you on this thread. It's the likes of you that actively turn people away from anyone identifying themselves as a femisnist in modern times.

Yeah that’s fine. Of course it depends on what his approach is like and if he backs off fairly quickly if the woman is not receptive.

• Advertisement

The worrying thing for women is that the rapists and sexual deviants aren't just restricted to online activity.

You don't get to speak for all women but your posting style certainly seems to suggest you think you do. How narcissistic of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yes, because that's what the quote was referring to. Absolute lunacy from you yet again. You are coming across as an actual parody. That's why nobody is taking you seriously. You're constantly on at people here to speak with their sisters, mothers, friends etc and see how they get on. I've seen my sister and friends taking these meatheads down (don't really go on the sesh with my mam!). Plenty of the women I know are well capable of telling bozos to hit the road. They're not little flowers. Funnily enough, if they feel threatened it's usually other men who they'll seek help from ie guys in their party or door staff. But yeah, men=scum women=victims.

I also find it funny that in the cases of some of the higher profile males that were responsible for allot of the transgressions around the metoo time was that they clothed themselves in public as white nights/being very progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why didn't you report it to the police? You're only someone on the internet, why should we believe you? Go to court to prove your story.

Could we not say that about the #metoo who only post on the internet and don't go to the police and prove there story

:D You're the absolute parody! It's rapists = scum. Stop getting offended on their behalf!
    If only you were in charge, rape figures would drop overnight. Just stand up to the meatheads girls, tell them to piss off.

Fairly certain he wasn't referring to rapists with that particular comment.. does that really need to be highlighted to you?

Honestly wondering if DONTMATTER differentiates.

It's the same scenario with gropers for example.

• Advertisement

Right well in my experience it’s a lot more than 1% who keep going.

Case in point.

Well that's your advice. How about we get these men to behave themselves instead of women having to tell them to piss off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I don’t know if this has been talked about already here but I’ve only just. come across it and am interested in my fellow boardsies think.

Actor Henry Cavill has been forced to apologize for comments related to the MeToo movement. I’m writing this on my phone so can’t link anything just now bit basically he said he’s afraid to approach women for fear of being accused of something he didn’t do which didn’t go down well with feminazi brigade and metooers.

Personally I think he’s got a point and I don’t like the way the metoo movement is determined to deny men their voices and twist everything they say.

I think he has perfectly legitimate concerns and he’s likely not the only one. Metoo was a good thing in the beginning but now it’s a witch hunt and I can understand completely the fears men have as a result.

Afterhours thoughts?

He was perfectly correct and he now has learned that to even talk about it is enough to get one in trouble.

The new puritanical priests are

Yeah that’s fine. Of course it depends on what his approach is like and if he backs off fairly quickly if the woman is not receptive.

100% agree. Doesn't really get any more straight forward than this in fact.

Pug160 wrote: »
    I know some people don't like hearing this, and may think it's an attempt at downplaying the issue, but certain men do get away with a lot more than others.

As do women. I've seen women who go out, flirt with men she doesn't know, touching them, being provocative, and then laughing with her friends as she turns him down. We've all seen women acting out either in overly aggressive manners, or playing friends against each other as they try to "win" her attention. Just as we've seen women who physically assault men based on the assumption that a man won't hit her back.

In the case of women doing these things, it's assumed (and accepted) that it's a minority. When men act out in a negative manner, we men say it's a minority, but we're told it's not. There is a crapton of double standards in our society regarding how the two (main) genders behave socially.

I know that this wasn't what you were suggesting, but reading your post got me thinking of it.

• Advertisement

Quite the contrary and the irony is startling. I, a man, have said let's get everyone to do this hypothetical class. You, I assume a woman, have the phrase ''most men'' in nearly all your vitriolic posts. You seek to demonise, to pigeonhole. You probably think of yourself as a feminist or equalitarian but you're quite the opposite from I've seen of you on this thread. It's the likes of you that actively turn people away from anyone identifying themselves as a femisnist in modern times.

What are you on about? I haven't said most men! Maybe you're getting confused with saying most rapists are men, this is fact. I've said time after time that men should be getting on board the metoo movement instead of getting offended on behalf of scumbags.

You don't get to speak for all women but your posting style certainly seems to suggest you think you do. How narcissistic of you.

:D No, let's leave that to the expert. Piss right off will solve everything!

Could we not say that about the #metoo who only post on the internet and don't go to the police and prove there story

:D Whooossssshhhhhhhh!

What are you on about? I haven't said most men! Maybe you're getting confused with saying most rapists are men, this is fact. I've said time after time that men should be getting on board the metoo movement instead of getting offended on behalf of scumbags.

It is a fact that most men are rapists? Or it is a fact that certain feminists claim most men are rapists?

Which is it? Are you saying most men are rapists? I'm confused.

:D You're the absolute parody! It's rapists = scum. Stop getting offended on their behalf!
    If only you were in charge, rape figures would drop overnight. Just stand up to the meatheads girls, tell them to piss off.

Ah, the ''NO, YOU ARE!'' response. Excellent. Good work. Well done.

Listen, everyone fcuking abhors rapists. Everyone. That's why the scumbags are seen as the lowest of the low. Even in the criminal world. They're worse than rats and murderers in prison. That's why they need their own individual jails. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm getting offended on behalf of sex offenders. I really think you know you're losing a debate though and making a show of yourself so you're just resorting to low and shocking tactics. Sad.

Honestly wondering if DONTMATTER differentiates.

See the post after yours.. obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Just stand up to the meatheads girls.

bzf95pT.jpg

As do women. I've seen women who go out, flirt with men she doesn't know, touching them, being provocative, and then laughing with her friends as she turns him down. We've all seen women acting out either in overly aggressive manners, or playing friends against each other as they try to "win" her attention. Just as we've seen women who physically assault men based on the assumption that a man won't hit her back.

In the case of women doing these things, it's assumed (and accepted) that it's a minority. When men act out in a negative manner, we men say it's a minority, but we're told it's not. There is a crapton of double standards in our society regarding how the two (main) genders behave socially.

I know that this wasn't what you were suggesting, but reading your post got me thinking of it.

+1

Right well in my experience it’s a lot more than 1% who keep going.

A lot more than 1% of who.. all men?!

There's a difference between most men are rapists and most rapists are men. Learn it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement