Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry Cavill forced to apologize for #metoo comments

Comments

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Like I said, you really need to educate yourself about this. And the sleazy culture has been described perfectly in the metoo campaign.

I read your link. No need to post it again... into the thread. It doesn't answer my question. What sleazy culture exists in Ireland? Give detail, and no, your linked pdf doesn't cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If they're in a mixed school girls and boys will go to the class together! For some reason most girls don't seem to have a problem learning that rape and harassment is wrong. Unfortunately there's some men who don't know the same going by all the stories from women.

Now tell me that's not a roundabout way of saying something else. You're as well off to just say it out.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

givyjoe wrote: »
    Indeed, I blame the mothers.

Why? Far more likely that their father would be a rapist.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I doubt that. Murderers and rapists have existed ever since mankind* has existed. Could be nature vs nurture. Could be wiring of predisposition. Why do people rape, why do people kill. Humans do sh*tty things, I guess. Thankfully most don't though

*and womankind

That's just rape, the groping, harassment etc. Why does that happen? Why is it so common for some men?

Unless their parents are lesbian... in which case... :rolleyes:

Just one quote. You're the one making the claim, back it up or retract it. Onus is really on you, if you're debating in a fair manner that is.

Look at all your posts towards me!!! Referring to me as a loony etc. I'm not going back to read your posts again, they were bad enough the first time. Click your username and have a look at your previous posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

So much sexual tension in this thread.

I read your link. No need to post it again... into the thread. It doesn't answer my question. What sleazy culture exists in Ireland? Give detail, and no, your linked pdf doesn't cover it.

You were saying that women should just report rape, questioning why they don't. It's very important that you understand the reasons why rape goes unreported. It's not as simple as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I wasn't actually serious.. out of interest were you?!

Responsibility lies with both parents unless of course they are raised solely by one parent.

That's just rape, the groping, harassment etc. Why does that happen? Why is it so common for some men?

Tell you what, why don't you do me a ladylike courtesy and retract what you said about me being upset at rapists being attacked since you said I did but you won't link it. Or perhaps retract it? Have some credibility. Do that and I'd be happy to continue on with this debate. Otherwise, it's just mudslinging really.

• Advertisement

Now tell me that's not a roundabout way of saying something else. You're as well off to just say it out.

Am, maybe you could have just read the next sentence!

"Unfortunately there's some men who don't know the same going by all the stories from women."

Unless their parents are lesbian... in which case... :rolleyes:

I don't think the numbers of rapists who are lesbians is that high.

Look at all your posts towards me!!! Referring to me as a loony etc. I'm not going back to read your posts again, they were bad enough the first time. Click your username and have a look at your previous posts.

If it was bad enough you'd remember it. You're an absolute liar. If you're the type that's pushing these type of hashtag campaigns, is it any wonder credibility is an issue? Seriously.

I don't think the numbers of rapists who are lesbians is that high.

High percentage of domestic abusers are though.. #hertoo

Tell you what, why don't you do me a ladylike courtesy and retract what you said about me being upset at rapists being attacked since you said I did but you won't link it. Or perhaps retract it? Have some credibility. Do that and I'd be happy to continue on with this debate. Otherwise, it's just mudslinging really.

:D Well you're getting upset now. So that's proof that you're getting upset by someone who's attacking rapists and other scum. I didn't even have to go back through your posts. You're welcome.

If it was bad enough you'd remember it. You're an absolute liar. If you're the type that's pushing these type of hashtag campaigns, is it any wonder credibility is an issue? Seriously.

Look how upset you are. I have not said anything bad about men, I've said loads of stuff attacking rapists and other scum, you've clearly taken offence to that. That's why I asked why!

High percentage of domestic abusers are though.. #hertoo

Do you have any proof of this?

Do you have any proof of this?

It's been linked many times in other threads. Im sure someone else can dig it out.

Would you like to provide some proof of this sleazy culture we apparently live in?

You were saying that women should just report rape, questioning why they don't. It's very important that you understand the reasons why rape goes unreported. It's not as simple as you think.

Cut out the crap. I've read these documents long before this thread. I'm well aware of the difficulties involved for rape victims in terms of coming forward. There have been hundreds of such threads during the time I've been on boards.

However, I've been querying your statements. The points you made.

You stated that rape was tolerated. You haven't backed up that statement or other previous statements. You have since stated that there is a sleazy culture. You keep dodging that question too.

The point is that you keep making these sweeping statements without any substance. Now, honestly, I've had enough because I think you're a sexist, and misandristic in your views. This isn't about helping women.... because you really don't care about them. This is about you blaming men for everything, and getting a rush arguing about it online.

IF this was actually about helping women, you would be encouraging the metoo contributors to come forward and be investigated by the police. Meh! I'm not even going to repeat myself because you'll just skip over it, repeating the same bile. Done and done.

• Advertisement

:D Well you're getting upset now.
    Look how upset you are.

giphy.webp

Cut out the crap. I've read these documents long before this thread. I'm well aware of the difficulties involved for rape victims in terms of coming forward. There have been hundreds of such threads during the time I've been on boards.

However, I've been querying your statements. The points you made.

You stated that rape was tolerated. You haven't backed up that statement or other previous statements. You have since stated that there is a sleazy culture. You keep dodging that question too.

The point is that you keep making these sweeping statements without any substance. Now, honestly, I've had enough because I think you're a sexist, and misandristic in your views. This isn't about helping women.... because you really don't care about them. This is about you blaming men for everything, and getting a rush arguing about it online.

IF this was actually about helping women, you would be encouraging the metoo contributors to come forward and be investigated by the police. Meh! I'm not even going to repeat myself because you'll just skip over it, repeating the same bile. Done and done.

So why are you saying it's as easy as them just reporting their assaults? It's not.

Where did I say rape was tolerated? In what context? I've already told you about the sleazy culture, read the metoo stories!

I've never blamed men for anything! I've blamed rapists and sexual deviants who happen to be male in the most part. I keep asking, what is wrong with that? What have I said that's so wrong? Shouldn't we all be saying negative stuff about rapists and other scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Sleazy culture is not just in pubs and clubs!

Agread and that was my fault I should have went wider but sleazy people of who are front and center so to speak I believe do not become rapists. Does that mean we should not try to stamp that out of course we should and I be front and center to defend any of my friends male or female from those people

giphy.webp

:D At least you've seen your mistake now. Hopefully you won't get as upset about me or others attacking rapists and other scum from now on.

EVERYONE THINKS RAPISTS ARE SCUM. EVERYONE. YOU'RE NOT PROVIDING NEW INFORMATION.

Agread and that was my fault I should have went wider but sleazy people of who are front and center so to speak I believe do not become rapists. Does that mean we should not try to stamp that out of course we should and I be front and center to defend any of my friends male or female from those people

Yes, we're in complete agreement. So easy isn't it! Does it mean you're anti man now because you said something bad about sleazy men?

• Advertisement

EVERYONE THINKS RAPISTS ARE SCUM. EVERYONE. YOU'RE NOT PROVIDING NEW INFORMATION.

So why are you disagreeing with my posts? I haven't said anything bad about anyone else except rapists and other sleazebags.

Because some people despicable. Also why just ask why is it so common for some men why not ask why is it so common for some men and women?

Because some people despicable. Also why just ask why is it so common for some men why not ask why is it so common for some men and women?

Because it's not so common for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

It's not so common for men also.

I'm out of here again. Hopefully some of you have learned something. Attacks on rapists who mostly are men is not the same as an attack on men. Also, there are many reasons why rape victims don't report, it's very offensive to suggest that they're apart of the problem because they don't report.

• Advertisement

It's not so common for men also.

No but of those who do this kind of thing, most are men. That's just fact, it's not anti men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

No but of those who do this kind of thing, most are men. That's just fact, it's not anti men.

You should apologise to Omackeral before you go.

Yes, we're in complete agreement. So easy isn't it! Does it mean you're anti man now because you said something bad about sleazy men?

No because (and please stay with me for this point) I used the word sleasy and men together as a single entity and (did not suggest which you do) that it is a major epidemic across human males.

I actually believe you are blinded to the fact you do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Pac1Man wrote: »
    So much sexual tension in this thread.

A bunch of aggressive men? That’s just flirting don’t you know.

So why are you disagreeing with my posts?

Because they're garbage.

I'm out of here again.
    Heading back to the Midlands?

LLMMLL wrote: »
    A bunch of aggressive men? That’s just flirting don’t you know.

Just when you think llmmll has reached peak irony... You go and outdo yourself.

What to be sleazy yep it is but men don't have a #metoo movement or a maleinist movement. We be crucified as anti women. It is quiet common in both

Heading back to the Midlands?

I live in the Midlands. Most are good people... but we do have a minority.... :pac::pac::pac:

I live in the Midlands. Most are good people... but we do have a minority.... :pac::pac::pac:

It's a tongue in cheek reference to a former sh1t stirrer who would pop up and disappear as quick.

• Advertisement

I'm out of here again.

giphy.webp

giphy.webp

tenor.gif

ZN35.gif

H44ydXe.jpg

What to be sleazy yep it is but men don't have a #metoo movement or a maleinist movement. We be crucified as anti women. It is quiet common in both

It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be if it was genuinely started.

Because up to now the harassment of men is only raised to try and get women to shut up.

Personally I have the greatest sympathy for men who are harrassed by women. But id usually discount their “I get harassed too and you don’t see me complaining” nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It would be interesting to see what the reaction would be if it was genuinely started.

Because up to now the harassment of men is only raised to try and get women to shut up.

Personally I have the greatest sympathy for men who are harrassed by women. But id usually discount their “I get harassed too and you don’t see me complaining” nonsense.

It would be instantly attacked, ridiculed and then made look like the members are extremists.

The only thing men are allowed do right now is end themselves early or be feminists, anything else is not allowed by the left LGBT overlords of this world.

Calhoun wrote: »
    It would be instantly attacked, ridiculed and then made look like the members are extremists.

The only thing men are allowed do right now is end themselves early or be feminists, anything else is not allowed by the left LGBT overlords of this world.

I think they’d get a lot of support if it was done in a genuine manner

I think they’d get a lot of support if it was done in a genuine manner

How do you genuinely do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

No, metoo is not just about rape. You can't just ignore it.

Studies say between 2-4% are false.
    http://kunskapsbanken.nck.uu.se/nckkb/nck/publik/fil/visa/197/different

What sweeping statements? Thousands of women have come out with their stories, they shouldn't be doubted. We have to try to put an end to the behavior of some men, not question women for bringing the topic to all our attention.

Eh, I know metoo is not just about rape, and I've said it shouldn't be ignored my self a few pages back!

Thanks for the link - it's an interesting report and it makes for depressing reading. Would be interested to know if there is a similar more up to date study like this?

On the point about false claims, the range of false claims referred to in the report (1-9%) - this is only where a conclusion has been arrived at, say by investigating police officers, that the claims are false. As it happens, Ireland is cited at 9%.

Theres also a sizeable number of claims retracted at various stages and then others where evidence is deemed insufficient.

How do you genuinely do it?

Maybe don’t do it in a thread about women’s experiences as a means to criticise women? That’s be a good start.

Maybe don’t do it in a thread about women’s experiences as a means to criticise women? That’s be a good start.

Your the one that brought it up, as if you even had an interest in it :). I know you would rather focus on men being the aggressors, nothing quite like giving minority groups the ability to ruin peoples reputations online. Justice is being served.

Also the thread is about Henry Cavill and the impact on his career because as a straight male and not having the "im gay" protection that he has to be careful how he acts around woman.

Your the one that brought it up, as if you even had an interest in it :). I know you would rather focus on men being the aggressors, nothing quite like giving minority groups the ability to ruin peoples reputations online. Justice is being served.

Also the thread is about Henry Cavill and the impact on his career because as a straight male and not having the "im gay" protection that he has to be careful how he acts around woman.

Actually it was martingriff who brought it up.

Again I have to point out that the vast majority of metoo posts do not name anyone and hence do not ruin any reputations. It’s telling that you keep ignoring this.

Yes HC has to be careful not to harass women. How awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Advertisement