Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unusual piano - or not?

• 13-07-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭

Few years ago I got in my possession a piano.

455705.jpg

What I'm interested is this instrument in any way rare or possibly valuable?

Its condition is rather quite poor. Especially mechanism needs some work as some hammers don't move straight as they should, dampers are worn, etc...
    Outside it's not great either, with missing legs (just wooden planks drilled to it), etc...

Its got a printed sign Rogers&Co London as well as Paterson's 27 George Street, Edinburgh.

I don't know much about pianos, and I strongly doubt this thing could be in any way rare, but its small size (5 octaves) and fact that I could hardly find any of pianos like that for sale anywhere, makes me think that maybe there is a possibility of this item being rare.

Any thought about it...
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wooden or metal internal frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

endacl wrote: »
    Wooden or metal internal frame?

I'm not sure how to tell
    Have a look at the pictures:

455706.jpg

455707.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

Can't imagine it would be worth anything unless it was being used and tuned over the years, as well as stored away from dampness etc.

Subtle wrote: »
    Can't imagine it would be worth anything unless it was being used and tuned over the years, as well as stored away from dampness etc.

I doubt about both - as I said condition is pretty poor.

Only reason I though it possibly might be unusual or worth anything is because of it being small size (5 octave) which seems very rare for upright acoustic pianos.

• Advertisement

Firewood, I’m afraid,.

Thanks.

I'll be moving house in the next few months to quite far away, and I was just wondering if it's worth paying extra for transportation of this piano.
    Probably will need to get rid of it then.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

Sometimes you might find a second hand furniture company who will take it off your hands free of charge, presumably to sell it on as 'feature' piece. But chances are it will cost you to get rid of it...

Oh no, it's not that bad.
    I already have few friends who would be more than happy to take it free of charge.
    Transport is not a problem as it only weights 100kg so can be lifted by 2 men.

But I just wanted to know if by any chance it might be worth bit more.

Advertisement