Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Waterford still safe at night?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    whats the story with mcgrath?

He has plenty of form I'd imagine is what the poster meant. Which he does

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

He has plenty of form I'd imagine is what the poster meant. Which he does

Any examples of said form?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

A man charged with killing a talented young musician on a night out has been been granted bail at the High Court, a subsequent court sitting has heard.

A keyboard player and vocalist with local band, Chimpanbee, 27-year-old Damien O’Brien received serious head injuries in a violent street attack on John Street in the early hours of July 7th last.

Damien was rushed to University Hospital Waterford before being moved to Cork.

However, the popular musician from Kilmacow in South Kilkenny died at Cork University Hospital on July 13th from head injuries suffered head injuries in a suspected attack.

Before Waterford District Court again today was Craig McGrath (25), with an address supplied to the court at 19 Rathfaddan Park in the city.

Mr McGrath is charged with the manslaughter of Damien and has received High Court bail, having failed to get it at the District Court previously.

Solicitor Kenneth Cunningham told Judge Kevin Staunton that a condition attached to the bail includes the submission of a sum of money while this would be forthcoming within the week.

The matter was adjourned to a sitting of the court next Tuesday, where the case will be mentioned.

Ends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

****hole. I only recently realised in the video of the guys crashing cars windows and screaming in the late hours of a Saturday night a few weeks ago, you see a Garda car stopping at the top of the street for the entire video then just driving off while watching these scumbags. No faith left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 markydo29

Hi is there any update on this from todays court,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 markydo29

??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Manslaughter is now a low offence on a medium range!

Some crusty old farts should be forced off the bench, there was no justice done in that courtroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

25 would be more deserved.

Its a difficult one, how long does it take to rehabilitate one, and is this truly possible for some, and if it isn't, what do we do with them?

• Advertisement

Its a difficult one, how long does it take to rehabilitate one, and is this truly possible for some, and if it isn't, what do we do with them?

Rehabilitation?
    First apply proper consequences, and if there is ongoing indication of rehabilitation during that period then let some lessening of sentence be considered for the remaining term.

So a sentence of 30 years with consideration of rehabilitation after 20 ..... or some such arrangement. Remember this person was out on bail for a similar assault, so obviously could hardly care less about the consequences of his action.

Society would be well rid of such thugs ..... even at the cost of incarceration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

It’s a fcuking disgrace. Those pr1ck judges in their ivory towers are out of touch with reality.
    I guarantee you if it was a family member of the judge he wouldn’t be long imposing a proper sentence.

That poor family lost a son, and this scrote who has previous form as well will be out after probably 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The charge was manslaughter so we knew it would be a handful of years at most, in truth he'll be out in mid to late 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

PTH2009 wrote: »

Absolute disgrace. A person was killed by a scumbag and all they get is a mediocre sentence. How a judge can come to such a decision is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

He's do 3 years 8 months at most.
    Terrible sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Absolutely shocking. The pr1ck didn't even co-operate with the guards and then gets a tiny sentence.

Awful for the family to have to see this happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I don't know him but i've heard his family are well off, is there any truth in this? Usually explains shorter sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The guy must of had a good solicitor (on free aid) who spun something too get that soft sentence

Could it of been the verbal exchange explained in the article. The defendant was provoked type of thing ???

Very sad for the family of the victim and I hope too never have too deal with that situation. Nor would I wish it on any family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

24 previous convictions,out on bail for assault when he killed a young man in an unprovoked assault,he gets 5 years and will probably be out after 3!! how can a judge hand down a sentence like that,its crazy to think you could kill someone and only do 3 years in jail for it!!,anyone know can the family appeal it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Boooourns wrote: »
    I don't know him but i've heard his family are well off, is there any truth in this? Usually explains shorter sentences.

No, they’re common as muck.

Hopefully this fella gets his arse ripped open for the duration of his time in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Motivator wrote: »

Hopefully this fella gets his arse ripped open for the duration of his time in prison.

To be honest he deserves more than an ass ripping. He would probably enjoy that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Motivator wrote: »

Ah okay cheers. Absolutely sickening the jail time handed down. I can't get my head around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Awful news for the family and its just baffling that a judge can stand over this sentence. Definitely living on another planet within this tiny island. Sickening.
    I went back and read this thread from the start. I can only give my own view based on my experience of Waterford. Im living and working here nearly 2 years now and although im in my early 30s so too old to be acting the clown, Waterford is no more or less safe than other cities. Im from Cork and thats gone very rough the last few years but i think these random assaults happen everywhere so not specific to Waterford. It doesnt help that all the night life seems to spill out at the same time. The Reg is that bit safer as its a later bar and down the road from the main clubs.

DeiseNew wrote:
    Awful news for the family and its just baffling that a judge can stand over this sentence. Definitely living on another planet within this tiny island. Sickening. I went back and read this thread from the start. I can only give my own view based on my experience of Waterford. Im living and working here nearly 2 years now and although im in my early 30s so too old to be acting the clown, Waterford is no more or less safe than other cities. Im from Cork and thats gone very rough the last few years but i think these random assaults happen everywhere so not specific to Waterford. It doesnt help that all the night life seems to spill out at the same time. The Reg is that bit safer as its a later bar and down the road from the main clubs.

I always wondered if abolishing closing times would help, it might cause staggering of crowd buildups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

This when the "Justice" system stops being a just system. I thought punishment is supposed to act as a deterrent? What are other scumbags going to think when they see a guy can get out after 3 and a half years for ending someone's life, even when they were out on bail.

I always wondered if abolishing closing times would help, it might cause staggering of crowd buildups

I could never see any reason why publicans could not be allowed to choose their opening hours.

For instance, licence a premises for 12 hours out of 24 hours, and have those hours prominently posted at the entrance.

This when the "Justice" system stops being a just system. I thought punishment is supposed to act as a deterrent? What are other scumbags going to think when they see a guy can get out after 3 and a half years for ending someone's life, even when they were out on bail.

Some humans have little or no response to punishment/rehabilitation methods including increased incarceration periods, we simply don't truly know what to do with these people.

I could never see any reason why publicans could not be allowed to choose their opening hours.

Yea its an odd one, I've always thought staggering closing times might help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Some humans have little or no response to punishment/rehabilitation methods including increased incarceration periods, we simply don't truly know what to do with these people.

Execute them. Simple.

If I had a connection with that poor victims family I can't imagine how angry I'd be.

That guy killed someone and it's beyond any doubt so he should either be executed or in jail with no chance of parole (but why waste our tax money on him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Infuriating to see such a lenient sentence. Are the judges options restricted because it was a charge of manslaughter.

Advertisement