Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One European Union Football Team - Yay or Nay?

• 13-07-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭

Is it time for an EU football team with the coming EU nation and all? National football associations will be phased out eventually in the EU.

Pros:

We could share in the enjoyment of tournament football and winning.

We would also have a pan european league - with Irish clubs getting the benefit of the largesse as well.

Internationally Germany's or Spain's success could be our success :cool:

Our top clubs could compete at the top level.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

My head hurts :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Thoughts?

One word - Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

thebaz wrote: »
    One word - Nonsense

What makes you think it's nonsense?

I can see this taking shape in the coming years. It will be a gradual thing. The new single EU team will be the last stage (although don't be surprised to see an experimental EU team in the next 5 years!).

I think there will be league integration first across the 27 states.

Plenty of benefits to this for Irish clubs in particular some of which would have the chance of playing at the top level in a new European League 1.

Probably by using logic and information freely available.
    I can see this taking shape in the coming years. It will be a gradual thing. The new single EU team will be the last stage (although don't be surprised to see an experimental EU team in the next 5 years!).
    May well happen as a one-off or rare-off.
    I think there will be league integration first across the 27 states.
    Why?
    Plenty of benefits to this for Irish clubs in particular some of which would have the chance of playing at the top level in a new European League 1.[/QUOTE]
    How are the 2 linked at all?
    Euro 2024 host will be announced in September.
    Why would national associations agree?
    Why would clubs agree?
    Ireland's highest ranked team is Dundalk at 188. There are 14 UK teams above them so they're ranked 174. Take out the non-EU countries and do they break into the top 100. Why would an Irish team play in the top tier? Or would be one club from each country?

Check back tomorrow when your headache is gone.

• Advertisement

Probably by using logic and information freely available.

What freely available information is this?
    May well happen as a one-off or rare-off.

Thin end of the wedge. EU nation state will inevitably have it's own team for all sports like every other country. Many would say a new European International Team is a great way to advance things.

Why?

:confused:
    How are the 2 linked at all?

Single European Football Association

Euro 2024 host will be announced in September.

And?

Why would national associations agree?

Why wouldn't they? More scale, huge association, lots of top jobs
    Why would clubs agree?

Money
    eland's highest ranked team is Dundalk at 188. There are 14 UK teams above them so they're ranked 174. Take out the non-EU countries and do they break into the top 100. Why would an Irish team play in the top tier? Or would be one club from each country?

Could have one from each state (even initially) but the money through commercial activity and tv deals through the new association and League 1 would mean big advances for many clubs as well to get them the chance of promotion.
    Check back tomorrow when your headache is gone.

No headache here!

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is it time for an EU football team with the coming EU nation and all? National football associations will be phased out eventually in the EU.

Pros:

We could share in the enjoyment of tournament football and winning.

We would also have a pan european league - with Irish clubs getting the benefit of the largesse as well.

Internationally Germany's or Spain's success could be our success :cool:

Our top clubs could compete at the top level.

Thoughts?

Jaysus lad they can't even make a GB or all Ireland team and you think there is a possibility of an EU team?

What freely available information is this?
    People like money.
    Thin end of the wedge. EU nation state will inevitably have it's own team for all sports like every other country. Many would say a new European International Team is a great way to advance things.
    Ah so this is an EU thing rather than really football related.

Single European Football Association
    Just try and think for a second. Why would 27 football associations with anything from a handful to hundreds of well-paid people at the top say "Ya know what? **** it. Let's come together so that instead of hundreds and hundreds of us having nice cushy jobs we make it about 50 instead?".
    And?
    And things are in motion for the status quo to keep going.

Why wouldn't they? More scale, huge association, lots of top jobs
    As above, how would there be more top jobs?
    Money
    Let's see some numbers. Ya think the Spanish, French, Germans and Italians will say "Hmm, ya know how we could make more money? If we just pick one club from each country. Bear with me, we can play the Irish champions instead of Dortmund, Real Madrid, AC Milan week in and week out. And we don't have to play any pesky domestic matches."
    Could have one from each state (even initially) but the money through commercial activity and tv deals through the new association and League 1 would mean big advances for many clubs as well to get them the chance of promotion.
    Again, why would the clubs agree to that if only one team a year from each country can play in it?

Who's providing the impetus here? The EU? The Clubs? The leagues? The FAs? None of them make money out of this idea.

There are other ways to achieve this through the clubs themselves rather than the current associations. I'll detail tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I can see this taking shape in the coming years.

cause that what it is - create a Superpower team comprising of all the best teams ( nearly all World Cup quater finlaists) to take on the rest - yeah great idea , will be highly entertaining - keep on smoking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There are other ways to achieve this through the clubs themselves rather than the current associations. I'll detail tomorrow.

Nah man..once you wake up tomorrow and look back at your post in the light of day you'll be saying to yourself "I really must stop posting on boards while wasted".
    And then create a brand new thread in after hours called " Posting when wasted"

Actually all the indications point to the exact opposite as UEFA recognises Gibraltar, the Faroe Islands etc.

It's never going to happen. Ever. There is no EU nation, there is a political union of many different nations that will remain separate countries with their own football teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I couldn't think of anything worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Daft idea OP

How can Germany's or Spain's success be ours, we are neither German nor Spanish.

Last time I checked there were 10 EU counties in the World Cup

You want to reduce that number to one.

What do you want to replace the other 9 with ?

I do agree with you on the European league idea.

You could have a 20 team top flight then regional divisions below that with national leagues feeding into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why not just scrap the Champions League and Europa league and just have a 9 tier league system with one top flight league where you have the top 20 teams. Below that would be 8 leagues then split into West, Central and East to ease travel costs.

3 teams go down from the top tier being replaced by the winners of West, Central and East and below that you could have 3 up 3 down in each region.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

No, Nay, Never...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nope

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Many would say a new European International Team is a great way to advance things.

looking at this thread the only thing many would say is that this is a load of nonsense.

The closest to what this dude is talking about imo would be the oft talked about European Superleague or if there was an EU team in the same sense as the all star teams in US sports. Maybe a yearly EU vs Americas match (okay really South America but sure most EU countries would not actually be represented anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Many would say a new European International Team is a great way to advance things.

No, many would not say that.

Very few would say that.

The very few who would say that are idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I feel like he's trying to make some half-arsed, semi-baked, 'clever' political point here, but I can't for the life of me see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I feel like he's trying to make some half-arsed, semi-baked, 'clever' political point here, but I can't for the life of me see it.

Exactly what I thought too.

Advertisement