Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit on Aviation

Options

Comments

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The point been its in Ireland interest to be part of an agreement with or without a deal at EU level, Leo appeared to ignore this fact and thinks all will be merry for us when it won't be.

When has he said all would be merry, not those exact words but even realitively close ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

When has he said all would be merry, not those exact words but even realitively close ?

Not directly but he isn't exactly been straight with the Irish people about how bad things could be. A true leader would be preparing for both outcomes and been constructive with one of allies about solutions.

These daily sound bites from himself and Simon are not at all helpful and doing no favors for anybody.

What will his statement of "fact" achieve about overflights? Nothing. Has he instructed officials to plan for a no deal and new agreements are is he happy to see Irish people negatively impacted because he is to busy spinning a line instead of running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Yet thinks Ireland can "have its cake and eat it"

I find that a bit rich . . . .

Just because the British voted to leave the EU on a whim without thinking through the consequences of the real economic world that they were part of since 1972.

When I say whim, I’m referring to those who voted to leave, was in part a protest against the London Establishment from the regions of Wales, the Midlands and North of England who for decades suffered imbalanced development.

I have no doubt in my mind if the vote was repeated tomorrow the result would be to remain.

The consequences to the British public is their problem but unfortunately they have made their problem ours too.

So who's interests does Leo have ours or Brussels?

Ah now you are talking like a “green” Englishman.

Our elected Taoiseach is putting our Irish national interests and as a member of the European Union their interests before those of Britain first.
    Not that it has a remote chance of happening.

No room for complacency, I would take the Taoiseach’s advice, in the event of a hard Brexit build up financial reserves beforehand.
    HQ is irrelevant

But that is where they call the shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A no deal crash out is the default position. As time ticks by it becomes ever more likely. There is zero unity in parliament or for that matter in the country. The UK (and us as collateral damage) is in quite serious danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

What will happen about RAF interception flights of Russian militry air craft in our air space.
    Have Leo or EU though about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

ZX7R wrote: »
    What will happen about RAF interception flights of Russian militry air craft in our air space.

Military flights aren’t a subject of the treaties referred to. There may be agreements on those affected by Brexit also, but I’m not familiar with them.

In general however, no agreement is required for military aircraft to operate in Irish-controlled airspace outside our territorial airspace.

ZX7R wrote: »

Besides us not having anything capable of doing it, have a think about why the U.K. do it willingly. They are actually defending themselves, they are hardly going to ignore one entire side to spite the EU. They are actually the target not us and not providing coverage would be a bit akin to leaving your back door open and the alarm off. It is laughable to think they are doing us the greater favour here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Besides us not having anything capable of doing it, have a think about why the U.K. do it willingly. They are actually defending themselves, they are hardly going to ignore one entire side to spite the EU. They are actually the target not us and not providing coverage would be a bit akin to leaving your back door open and the alarm off. It is laughable to think they are doing us the greater favour here.

I am well aware of the reasons why they do it, my question was to do if air space was restricted.
    All it takes is one stupid statement make by politicians involved to open a big tin of whoopass

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It could also throw a spanner in the works of DAA’s need for a second runway too.

Should increase traffic if EU travellers connecting to North America via LHR or MAN connect through DUB instead.

IAG (and Ryanair) will need to ensure that >50% of their shareholders are in the EU27.
    Not directly but he isn't exactly been straight with the Irish people about how bad things could be.

That's exactly what he did do, and you're slagging him off over it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I find that a bit rich . . . .

Just because the British voted to leave the EU on a whim without thinking through the consequences of the real economic world that they were part of since 1972.

When I say whim, I’m referring to those who voted to leave, was in part a protest against the London Establishment from the regions of Wales, the Midlands and North of England who for decades suffered imbalanced development.

I have no doubt in my mind if the vote was repeated tomorrow the result would be to remain.

The consequences to the British public is their problem but unfortunately they have made their problem ours too.

Ah now you are talking like a “green” Englishman.

Our elected Taoiseach is putting our Irish national interests and as a member of the European Union their interests before those of Britain first.

No room for complacency, I would take the Taoiseach’s advice, in the event of a hard Brexit build up financial reserves beforehand.

But that is where they call the shots.

I can't really respond without going way off topic but taking his advise of a financial buffer, the same guy who was against it only 12 months ago for tax cuts but had to back down because of political pressure.
    Should increase traffic if EU travellers connecting to North America via LHR or MAN connect through DUB instead.

IAG (and Ryanair) will need to ensure that >50% of their shareholders are in the EU27.

That's exactly what he did do, and you're slagging him off over it.

He was purely aiming it at the UK, he didn't mention a single thing about Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, I've been watching this thread for a number of days, as there are aspects of what's going on at the moment that are likely to affect what happens in the aviation sector.
    That said, I am going to suggest, with emphasis, that this thread needs to be confined to the possible effects of Brexit on Aviation.

This is not After Hours, and it's not the Politics forum, some of what's being posted here would be more appropriate to threads that are running in both of those areas.

So, going forward, political posts, or other off topic issues that are not related to aviation may well be deleted.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Aviation because of its strong connecting nature will be affected by Brexit - licensing, security, customs, immigration, trade deals, standards, consumer protection, shareholding - pretty much everything.

It beggars belief that its not locked down yet.

Just asking the question - what are airlines doing on schedules ? e.g. have Ryanair a schedule in the system beyond end March 2019 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Can't book DUB - LGW in April anyway, and interestingly enough, not on the 31st March either.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

My travel insurance company will not cover flight cancellations due to Brexit.
    I am travelling to Asia in April 2019. I have booked a slightly higher fare via Amsterdam.
    Is the government too fixated on Northern Ireland and not giving attention to other possible fall-out from a no-deal Brexit agreement ?
    With seven months to go, it seems the consequences of a no-deal Brexit have not been planned for.

Scoondal wrote: »
    I am travelling to Asia in April 2019. I have booked a slightly higher fare via Amsterdam.
    Is the government too fixated on Northern Ireland and not giving attention to other possible fall-out from a no-deal Brexit agreement ?
    With seven months to go, it seems the consequences of a no-deal Brexit have not been planned for.

You have to remember that the government like most businesses don’t make public everything they are doing and planning. Like any clever person you always start with a worst case scenario and work backwards, that way you are always prepared.

You have to remember that the government like most businesses don’t make public everything they are doing and planning. Like any clever person you always start with a worst case scenario and work backwards, that way you are always prepared.

I understand what you say.
    My point was really that the uncertainty about aviation regulations and travel insurance is already causing airline customers to make different routings than they may have made last year. Advance bookings for airlines are important because they will need to reduce the fares on seats for routes that aren't selling well or else cancel the flights or route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

7 month? They have less than 3 months to come up with a comprehensive plan.

Not a hope of a easy Brexit now.

7 month? They have less than 3 months to come up with a comprehensive plan.

Not a hope of a easy Brexit now.

But I was reading today in the UK Daily Mail that they already have a "NEW" plan : David Davis will become an interim Prime Minister and after Brexit Boris Johnson will take over.
    I know that you might think I am crazy, but Google Daily Mail today.
    This is what Ireland must deal with !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The current Westminster maths won't allow that to happen and if there's an election before then there will either be a totally hung parliament or a Labour led government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I refuse to read the Daily Fail.

Here's the most recent Brexit headlines that come up in my Google search.

The Guardian
    More than 100 seats that backed Brexit now want to remain in EU
    1 day ago

Politico Europe
    Counting the cost of Brexit inaction
    18 hours ago

The Guardian
    ‘They don’t know what they’re doing’: Leave-voting Swansea turns on Brexit
    1 day ago

Bloomberg.com
    Both Sides of Brexit Can Finally Agree: It's a Joke
    2 days ago

BBC.com
    Brexit: Farmers and meat processors' no-deal warning
    15 hours ago

The Economist
    No confidence over Brexit - Brexit and public opinion
    1 day ago

The headlines haven't changed since the vote.
    Not a snowballs chance of them changing before the October deadline. Britain will crash out with no deal.

• Advertisement

I understand what you say.
    My point was really that the uncertainty about aviation regulations and travel insurance is already causing airline customers to make different routings than they may have made last year. Advance bookings for airlines are important because they will need to reduce the fares on seats for routes that aren't selling well or else cancel the flights or route.

That’s politics for you and until recently the U.K. weren’t even negotiating at all let alone seriously. Hardly our governments fault if the other side sit like sullen teenagers refusing to communicate in anything other than grunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But I was reading today in the UK Daily Mail

sigh

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

After all the talk this shows you where the rubber meets the road, really. If you can't get insurance for an event, it's because that event is deemed to be a damn near certainty.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    After all the talk this shows you where the rubber meets the road, really. If you can't get insurance for an event, it's because that event is deemed to be a damn near certainty.

As I pointed out early in the topic, airlines in the U.K. have already changed their T&Cs to reflect the potential for a hard Brexit to protect themselves. It’s not surprising to see insurance companies saying similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

Some more insight if there's a no deal Brexit.  But it looks as if EI may have to cease BHD-LHR flights if there is no deal.
    No Deal
    [font=nta, Arial, sans-serif]EU-licensed airlines would lose the ability to operate wholly within the UK (for example from Heathrow to Edinburgh) "[/font]
    "Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/flights-to-and-from-the-uk-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

They could license FlyBE to operate those services. But then again I think they already have AerLingus UK Plc set up from when they had a London base.
    This subsidiary could hire the parent company to operate the flights?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Tenger wrote: »
    They could license FlyBE to operate those services. But then again I think they already have AerLingus UK Plc set up from when they had a London base.
    This subsidiary could hire the parent company to operate the flights?
    Yeah I recall EI had previously held a UK AOC, although this may wel have expired

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

Well the EU have published their plans in the event of a no deal Brexit.

UK airlines would be allowed to operate in and out of the EU (provided reciprocal arrangements were made by the UK).

However UK airlines would be barred from intra-EU flights .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

cml387 wrote: »
    Well the EU have published their plans in the event of a no deal Brexit.

UK airlines would be allowed to operate in and out of the EU (provided reciprocal arrangements were made by the UK).

However UK airlines would be barred from intra-EU flights .

Bad news for Easyjet if it came to pass, they would have to reflag to an EU country for intra-EU operations.

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    Bad news for Easyjet if it came to pass, they would have to reflag to an EU country for intra-EU operations.

Easyjet Austria with over 100 aircraft moved already but still go back a few months ago and we had project fear saying flights would be grounded. Far from it!

Advertisement