Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit on Aviation

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Hows does that impact Ryanair UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus does not have a UK AOC currently

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

theguzman wrote: »
    Bad news for Easyjet if it came to pass, they would have to reflag to an EU country for intra-EU operations.

Done already... Many aircraft on an Austrian reg flying under their Austrian AOC.....

Edit: Oops beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

smurfjed wrote: »
    Hows does that impact Ryanair UK?

They've transferred a few regs to UK...saw a pic of one the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Aer Lingus does not have a UK AOC currently

Complications for the UK internal George Best Belfast City to London Heathrow route possibly? Plus the Faro and Malaga seasonal services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Solution is to hand those routes to BA and then BA to subcontract them to EI

Really a paper exercise, but helpful to have friends in Waterside. EI dug BA out with some planes and crews in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Stevek101 wrote: »

I always thought IAG hq was Madrid

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

The issue is the 50.1% shareholding (which I believe also applies to Ryanair).

basically, Unless there's a 50.1% EU ownership then EI is restricted from intra single market routes.

Euractiv is one of the few with a press bureau in Brussels and I've found it is often aligned with the EU's thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

A point which seems to be ignored here but is now being picked up in Spain. It was clearly stated in the EU plan for aviation the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

sandbelter wrote: »
    The issue is the 50.1% shareholding (which I believe also applies to Ryanair).

basically, Unless there's a 50.1% EU ownership then EI is restricted from intra single market routes.

Euractiv is one of the few with a press bureau in Brussels and I've found it is often aligned with the EU's thinking.

haha, imagine if they did like a double Irish inversion and Aer Lingus became the parent of BA.

theguzman wrote: »
    haha, imagine if they did like a double Irish inversion and Aer Lingus became the parent of BA.

Could we see EI sold back to the Irish government on a temporary basis for like €1 until the mess is sorted and then returned to IAG thereafter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From Wiki, IAG is incorporated in Spain as a Sociedad Anónima, where the company board meetings are held, and is domiciled in Spain for tax purposes. I'm confused, if it's a Spanish registered company doesn't that make it an EU airline?

From Wiki, IAG is incorporated in Spain as a Sociedad Anónima, where the company board meetings are held, and is domiciled in Spain for tax purposes. I'm confused, if it's a Spanish registered company doesn't that make it an EU airline?

That’s what I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Only if greater than 50% of the shareholders with voting rights of IAG are from the EU.

With Qatar owning circa 20% I believe once the UK shareholders are no longer considered EU shareholders that may well push the percentage of non-EU shareholders over 50%, meaning IAG would be considered to be a non-EU holding company.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Could we see EI sold back to the Irish government on a temporary basis for like €1 until the mess is sorted and then returned to IAG thereafter

The only feasible solution i can see that works for IAG would pan out as follows:

IAG owns 100% of British Airways
    IAG owns 49.9% of Aer Lingus, Level, Vueling and Iberia and lists 50.1% shares restricted to EU shareholders only.
    IAG then takes a minority shareholding in a EU carrier (my pick is Air Nostrum) keeping below 20% so equity accounting questions don't kick in, who in turn own circa 5% of the IAG EU vehicle so to block any LH or AF-KL hostile bids. The EI franchise contract could be a "kicker"for them which is why I picked Air Nostrum. It also keeps QR (from an IAG perspective) at bay.

There may be other solutions, but this is how I'd see it pan out.

I dont know Í want to say this, call it gut instinct, but I suspect we may see another EU player come out of the woodwork yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Hard, Soft or Mild, flights won't be grounded by end of next March. Project fear ...

Aaand I don't need to read any further than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

It seems no airline company will be affected by a no deal "brexit".
    But does a customer want to take a risk connecting through U.K. in April ? No, and no again if their travel insurance will not cover delays, chaos and cancelations.
    Flybe is dodgy, Loganair. Stobart Air offering connecting flights via Manchester to worldwide destinations.
    Before booking flights, passengers should check if their travel insurance covers this mess.
    I wouldn't touch U.K. airports with a bargepole in 2019.

Scoondal wrote: »
    It seems no airline company will be affected by a no deal "brexit".
    But does a customer want to take a risk connecting through U.K. in April ? No, and no again if their travel insurance will not cover delays, chaos and cancelations.
    Flybe is dodgy, Loganair. Stobart Air offering connecting flights via Manchester to worldwide destinations.
    Before booking flights, passengers should check if their travel insurance covers this mess.
    I wouldn't touch U.K. airports with a bargepole in 2019.

I was under the impression that even with the EU allowing flights, British airlines won't be able to fly routes inside the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

I was under the impression that even with the EU allowing flights, British airlines won't be able to fly routes inside the EU?

"British airlines" are owned by E.U. companies. Others have set up E.U. subsidary companies.
    But if I was you, I wouldn't book a flight from Ireland that transferred via uk in April. Personally, I never book via a uk airport. Too much racist profiling against my wife and then Gatwick being closed because of police drones. The whole country is collapsing.
    A French company has just bought 51% of London Gatwick. Eh why ?

• Advertisement

latest update from Spain re Brexit

I notice in Spain this gets more press attention hence all discussion is re IB and VY (although EI makes the money), and new bit of information that LH and AF are now apparently watching from the sidelines the EU commission's decision with a view to grabbing IAG's intra EU business.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/01/02/inenglish/1546440201_162784.html

Advertisement