Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constructive dismissal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

dubrov wrote: »
    My understanding is that the employer is obliged to offer parental leave but may insist it is all taken in a single block.
    So they could insist you take the 18 weeks in a single break

Ok thanks for that. If there was precedent for employees taking one day per week would that have any impact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that. If there was precedent for employees taking one day per week would that have any impact?

No, leave dates are always at the discretion of the employer. For instance, if one employee gets the first two weeks of July off, it doesn't mean everyone else has the right to the same two weeks off.

Ok so am I getting this right that I have a statutory entitlement to parental leave however the company decide when and how this is facilitated?

Not sure if this makes and difference to the entitlement but have 3 kids aged 4, 2 and 12weeks have never used any parental leave but took my 2 week paternity

Thanks for that I can't see them facilitating it but i will at least try. A number of managers have similar arrangements being facilitated at present though.

Any other options that I haven't thought of yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Thanks for that I can't see them facilitating it but i will at least try. A number of managers have similar arrangements being facilitated at present though.

Any other options that I haven't thought of yet?

You are clutching at straws. You need to find another employer or you will end up bitter and damage your long term reputation.

Damien360 wrote: »
    You are clutching at straws. You need to find another employer or you will end up bitter and damage your long term reputation.

That is the plan but don't want to jump to the wrong job. I fully intend on moving but need to make sure it is the right move and location is quite important.

I am clutching at straws at the minute because I am looking for a solution to begin the course in September and also give me enough time to find the right move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think there is another way of looking at this. I worked in a few places with similar issues and usually it's about the work people are doing. High profile work get promotions and training, the low profile didn't. The Solution was to switch teams and jobs and even departments within the company to move away from the low profile jobs.

The low profile and high profile jobs might be equally important. But if one is getting all the attention and another isn't then you have to move.

I might make the low profile jobs difficult to get get done though. As everyone moves out of them and no one will do them. But that's not the employees problem.

It also means you might promote people who actually want to cherry pick the work they are willing to do. But then that's the management culture this creates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Also you might consider getting your own training outside of work. Make yourself more attractive to other employers.

I think you are wasting you time with your current managers and company in trying to use parental leave and stuff.
    That's making too much of a song and dance about it. You need to blind side them with a move internally or externally.
    Often being able to produce new qualifications, can allow you to jump sideways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thank you all for your feedback pretty clear it is not a case for constructive dismissal.

One more kind of related question but could I apply for parental leave for 0.5 days a week during this period? If the company refuse this where do I stand?

Parental leave can be cancelled if it is not to look after a kid, so tread carefully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement