Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Lee has no water!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,458 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’m guessing the dirty river water would cause issues with their pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I dont really understand the problem here.

Are you going around to other commercial businesses such as carwashes, pharmaceutical companies etc. requesting them to turn off their water ?

The river lee is tidal & of varying water quality, salinity and turbidity the equipment for power hosing etc would likely not be able to take it , nor would you want to professionally clean something with water of unknown quality.

Honestly its as much of a nothing story as i have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,520 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’m guessing the dirty river water would cause issues with their pumps.

Dead fish parts and all kinds of crap sprayed everywhere - ermm no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It’s a minor issue - it’ll probably start raining again in a few days and wash the place down. I would rather reserve the drinking water for ... drinking, showering, industrial and so on.

There’s very little you can do about something like a construction project. Either stop it at the cost of thousands and thousands a day or, carry on.

Using river water is problematic for something like this. You’d need filtration systems to remove algae and debris and so on. It’s not simple pressure washing either as they’re actually restoring surfaces and so on.

I’m not sure that the situation in Cork City is remotely as bad as Dublin either as we have better water infrastructure relative to the population size. The national hose pipe ban is a sane precaution though, even here.

Regular pressure washing of the streets could be done with non treated water though. It would save a few quid and also avoid putting chlorine and other chemicals from treated water back into the river.

The city should have grey water supplies for that kind of thing but it requires proper infrastructure. For example, you could probably have a tap-point for filling tankers at the Lee Road water works that took water out after just the rudimentary filtering and screening phase as it would be 100% suitable for this kind of use but not necessarily of drinking water quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

We should have paid water charges to drag the ancient system into to the 21st century.

<<

>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We should have paid water charges to drag the ancient system into to the 21st century.

<<

>>

But water falls from the sky, free.
    Water is a human right.
    What about the leaks?
    I've paid for it three times already even though I don't pay any tax!
    Blah blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

No hosepipe ban for UCC anyway as they had two of those huge sprinklers running when I was jogging past there yesterday!

455949.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

opus wrote: »
    No hosepipe ban for UCC anyway as they had two of those huge sprinklers running when I was jogging past there yesterday!

455949.jpg

The is no ban for commercial entities with the exception of non essential garden watering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The is no ban for commercial entities with the exception of non essential garden watering.

Guess they pay for their water unlike most in this country.

Advertisement