Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's on Metformin to regulate cycle? (pcos)

• 13-07-2018 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi ladies,

Who's on Metformin ?
    How long have you been on it?
    How do your cycles compare to before you took it? How many months did it take to see difference in
    A. Acne
    B. Hair growth
    C. Cycles

Anyone on clomid and metformin? How is it going?

Any tips for dealing with the unpleasant side effects? Nausea, headaches, gastroenteritis...
    Did anyone find they were moody on it? I possibly am but so hard to know

I'm on it six weeks now and only difference so far is my acne has improved. On CD 137 so AF would be very welcome as for a sign that things are moving in right direction.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Hi ladies,

Who's on Metformin ?
    How long have you been on it?
    How do your cycles compare to before you took it? How many months did it take to see difference in
    A. Acne
    B. Hair growth
    C. Cycles

Anyone on clomid and metformin? How is it going?

Any tips for dealing with the unpleasant side effects? Nausea, headaches, gastroenteritis...
    Did anyone find they were moody on it? I possibly am but so hard to know

I'm on it six weeks now and only difference so far is my acne has improved. On CD 137 so AF would be very welcome as for a sign that things are moving in right direction.
    Thanks in advance

On it about 2 years now. It gets easier to take as you get used to it. Just always make sure to take with food (not fruit). My cycle days settled into a 27/28 day cycle after a couple of months. Previously they had been anything from 25 days to 43 days you didn’t know when to expect it!

The acne I never really had too bad and the hair growth hasn’t been affected by it at all! It just keeps growing lol.

I found ginger ale and polo mints magic for the nausea and tiger balm/ head soothe for the headaches. It’s hard to know if I was moody lol so much as going on at the time but I suspect I really was! Also if you are going to have a drink don’t take your evening tablets as you will be drunk in 2 drinks and have the worlds worst hangover!

I am going on to clomid in Dec if no progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭sunsetbeachfan

Nerd Queen wrote: »
    On it about 2 years now. It gets easier to take as you get used to it. Just always make sure to take with food (not fruit). My cycle days settled into a 27/28 day cycle after a couple of months. Previously they had been anything from 25 days to 43 days you didn’t know when to expect it!

The acne I never really had too bad and the hair growth hasn’t been affected by it at all! It just keeps growing lol.

I found ginger ale and polo mints magic for the nausea and tiger balm/ head soothe for the headaches. It’s hard to know if I was moody lol so much as going on at the time but I suspect I really was! Also if you are going to have a drink don’t take your evening tablets as you will be drunk in 2 drinks and have the worlds worst hangover!

I am going on to clomid in Dec if no progress.

24/28 cd would be amazing, did you get any scans to see if you're ovulating? Would metformin affect how many follicles you have?
    I'll be going on clomid aswell if metformin does not work.

Good tip about the alcohol i noticed i can't really drink on it or when i eat badly i have to suffer the consequences!

Thanks for responding good to know your experience.
    Hope you'll get some success with it or clomid soon!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I started it in September 2016 and in terms of differences, I noticed I started losing weight almost immediately. My cycles went from 2 periods a year to a period every 40 to 50 days or so, and also definitely noticed a difference in body hair - not necessarily less of it, but it was finer and lighter coloured. I hadn't had a period for nearly 5 months before starting it, then I think I got one about 30 days after starting and then it was about 40 to 50 days between them after that. They weren't regular, but definitely a huge improvement.

I was very lucky in that after the initial first few weaning on weeks, the side effects were very minimal. When I first started I noticed I'd have an upset tummy no matter what I ate but that eased off. I started on 500mg once a day, and now am on 500mg 3 times a day. I dramatically reduced my sugar intake while I was on it and ate super healthily, so as to get the most out of it. One thing I did notice was if I did have a day where I over indulged on fatty or sugary foods, my stomach would be upset. Like if I knew I was going out for a big meal in a restaurant I'd often not take it with that meal because I'd have to get to a bathroom asap. I'd still make sure I got the 3 tablets in the day, so say if we were having something for dinner that I knew would upset my tummy, I'd not take the tablet with the dinner, but then later in the evening take it with a piece of toast or a yoghurt or something instead. I noticed I'd get headaches on days where I didn't drink much water, so my solution to that was keeping well hydrated.

I had very good results from it and got pregnant in May 2017. We were over 2 years trying in total - 18 months or so before I went on Metformin and then about 7 months or so between starting Metformin and getting pregnant. I absolutely don't think I'd have gotten pregnant without it. My consultant kept me on it throughout my pregnancy and I'm still on it now. My little girl is 5 months old and my period hasn't come back yet, but I think that could be because I'm breastfeeding.

Toots wrote: »
    I started it in September 2016 and in terms of differences, I noticed I started losing weight almost immediately. My cycles went from 2 periods a year to a period every 40 to 50 days or so, and also definitely noticed a difference in body hair - not necessarily less of it, but it was finer and lighter coloured. I hadn't had a period for nearly 5 months before starting it, then I think I got one about 30 days after starting and then it was about 40 to 50 days between them after that. They weren't regular, but definitely a huge improvement.

I was very lucky in that after the initial first few weaning on weeks, the side effects were very minimal. When I first started I noticed I'd have an upset tummy no matter what I ate but that eased off. I started on 500mg once a day, and now am on 500mg 3 times a day. I dramatically reduced my sugar intake while I was on it and ate super healthily, so as to get the most out of it. One thing I did notice was if I did have a day where I over indulged on fatty or sugary foods, my stomach would be upset. Like if I knew I was going out for a big meal in a restaurant I'd often not take it with that meal because I'd have to get to a bathroom asap. I'd still make sure I got the 3 tablets in the day, so say if we were having something for dinner that I knew would upset my tummy, I'd not take the tablet with the dinner, but then later in the evening take it with a piece of toast or a yoghurt or something instead. I noticed I'd get headaches on days where I didn't drink much water, so my solution to that was keeping well hydrated.

I had very good results from it and got pregnant in May 2017. We were over 2 years trying in total - 18 months or so before I went on Metformin and then about 7 months or so between starting Metformin and getting pregnant. I absolutely don't think I'd have gotten pregnant without it. My consultant kept me on it throughout my pregnancy and I'm still on it now. My little girl is 5 months old and my period hasn't come back yet, but I think that could be because I'm breastfeeding.
    That's really encouraging thank you for writing about your experience. Hope it works for me too so hard being patient.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yes, patience isn't my strong suit either! Best of luck with it, hopefully you'll have good results :)

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    Yes, patience isn't my strong suit either! Best of luck with it, hopefully you'll have good results :)
    Thanks going to try acupuncture again on top of metforim , no harm trying it anyway

Thanks going to try acupuncture again on top of metforim , no harm trying it anyway

Finally got my AF today after a 167cycle delighted! Maybe the metformin is working

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

Had day 2 bloods done and just had day 21 done there. My day 2 bloods showed elevated testosterone. I have PCOS and take 1000mg metformin a day and my cycle is regular etc. So hoping this doesn't affect anything but going to ring my consultant but has anyone here had anything similar?

Advertisement