Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofbar bike carriers... which ones to get?

Options
  • 14-07-2018 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Need to get 2 for occasional use... there seems to be some Thule ones around 70€ The 532 for example, and then the price jumps significantly.
    These ones ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

There fine but if you can I'd stretch to the 598. Easier to put the bike on. Torque setting on the frame clamp so you can't over tighten. Diagonal ratchet straps on the wheels.
    Is the 532 a one piece bar along the bottom?
    I have a very old one of those and it want and the front always sagged -no issue just didn't like it.

Edit , forgot the rachet and lock is at roofbar level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I haven’t looked at them in the flesh yet... but I’ll take your comments on board when looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have the 532, it's been doing the job, holding my 14kg enduro in place, but consider spending a few more quid, just for peace of mind and security

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've got two of these. Cost around €20 each and I've been using them for years. Perfect for occasional use. They're not quick to fit but then you have to mount roof bars also.

If you want quick mounting stuff, go with a scissors style tow-hitch* rack.

* Requires tow hitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

For ease of use you really can’t beat:

Www.seasucker.com

Put on/take off in seconds. No flapping about with straps etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

07Lapierre wrote: »
    For ease of use you really can’t beat:

Www.seasucker.com

Put on/take off in seconds. No flapping about with straps etc.
    I use one of these myself , 1st couple of time i was really nervous , i pulled in a few times to make sure it was ok . Never had any issues witb it , they are expensive but as i tend to drive a couple of different cars it is ideal .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

cdaly_ wrote: »

If you want quick mounting stuff, go with a scissors style tow-hitch* rack.

* Requires tow hitch...

Have one already from previous car... they are the quickest for sure, I just need to stick the toe bar onto new car(involves dismantling half the car... bumper off job)

I’ve ordered the thules for up top.... well reserved them, they’ll only be used when the kids bikes are on the back already.
    Cheers all
    Marty

Advertisement