Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Lid + pinlock e59

Options
  • 14-07-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Spotted Lidl MC full face helmet with drop down sunvisor & pinlock under e60. Available now in multiple sizes on the Algarve :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

mopi wrote: »
    Spotted Lidl MC full face helmet with drop down sunvisor & pinlock under e60. Available now in multiple sizes on the Algarve :)

How would this helmet hold up in an accident? It surely has a minimum standard it has to meet but how high are the standards. I’d be worried if the time came where I needed a helmet to save me it would let me down and I’d resemble something like a watermelon that had a grenade go off inside it. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    How would this helmet hold up in an accident? It surely has a minimum standard it has to meet but how high are the standards. I’d be worried if the time came where I needed a helmet to save me it would let me down and I’d resemble something like a watermelon that had a grenade go off inside it. I could be wrong though.

they pass the same standards a 500 euro helmet passes.

I think the real difference may be comfort and weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Which tells you?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The helmets are fine it's the other customer's I'd be worried about. Get in at door opening or you've no idea how many times the lid has been dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blade1 wrote: »
    Which tells you?

What....???

I've tried on 600 euro lids and they wer'nt comfortable...My current lid cost €59..its as comfortable as my €250 AGV and has the exact same test mark ..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Which tells you?

Is this a trick question:confused:

That they are less comfortable and a little more heavy???

What....???

I've tried on 600 euro lids and they wer'nt comfortable...My current lid cost €59..its as comfortable as my €250 AGV and has the exact same test mark ..;)

What do you mean What?
    My point was the weight isn't going to tell you anything about how it fares in a crash,good or bad.

I wouldn't be a fan of AGV myself.
    Not mad about Shoei either.
    Shark feel too tight at the jaw and loose up high on me.
    Arai feel perfect on me as does X-Lite.
    I also have an Airoh Moto Cross helmet that you would barely know you have it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

What do you mean What?
    My point was the weight isn't going to tell you anything about how it fares in a crash,good or bad.

I also have an Airoh Moto Cross helmet that you would barely know you have it on.

What do i mean What...?

The main thing i look for is approval and comfort....so what if its 10gms heavier than the next 500 yo yo lid...and then you go and put a 50gm go pro on it....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What do you mean What?

Shoei are awesome.

Your barred

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What....???

I've used an open faced helmet I bought in Lidl, lasted me years and was very light and comfy.

At the moment I've an AGV which cost over €300 (can't remember exactly as Bikeworld gave a super discount on two lids on account of me being military).

And my present fav cost me €99, made by KBG and its an open faced Captain America style lid.

I've Lidl summer gloves which I must be using ten years now, they're great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Are these always in stock or just for a short time?

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Are these always in stock or just for a short time?

Short time special, but they regularly reoccur.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭spray____

they pass the same standards a 500 euro helmet passes.

Which standards are those? DOT, Snell, ECE?

spray____ wrote: »

Not certain but I think ECE.

Anyone know anyone that's actually hit their head wearing one?
    For me it's hard to beat a proven track record when I'm buying a helmet.

Not certain but I think ECE.

Anyone know anyone that's actually hit their head wearing one?
    For me it's hard to beat a proven track record when I'm buying a helmet.

I would be surprised if you could buy a €60 helmet with an ECE rating, although I could well be wrong.

I find best place to get data on helmets, including quality, is SHARP: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

This is a great video that sheds some light on the DOT certification, which really is the bare minimum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUyp3HX8cY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I would be surprised if you could buy a €60 helmet with an ECE rating, although I could well be wrong.

I find best place to get data on helmets, including quality, is SHARP: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

This is a great video that sheds some light on the DOT certification, which really is the bare minimum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUyp3HX8cY

Didn't even need to click the link before I knew it would be Fortnine. Blood brilliant channel.

Germany is TüV.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

Lidl special stock gets updated frequently so buy now or wait six months is the way it goes.
    Spotted e59 lid again and had a second look. It's a flip up with a rachet style strap. I found it tighter around the ears than my caberg drift and roomier at the front. More oval than round I guess.
    1650g is decent only thing I'd say against it is the outer shell is very stiff and difficult to flex when donning.
    A lot of ABS and EPS mentioned on the Portuguese/Spanish llabling. Padding removable, too how do they do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

don't care how good for the money the lid is, my head is worth more than 60 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

don't care how good for the money the lid is, my head is worth more than 60 euro

Head's are overrated :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

If you go down that road......500 euro isn't alot for an oul head either really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Some EU standards aren’t really that high so I would be weary of them.
    I put a company van into a ditch four years ago because I lost all traction on a bend in the wet, the tow truck driver who pulled me out told me the tires met the eu standard but were shït the brand was called triangle or something and were notorious for it. Haha I remember ringing the company going ape **** saying cheap tires caused me to crash and no mention was ever made of the van which was a write off in the end.😂😂😂

I put a company van into a ditch four years ago because I lost all traction on a bend in the wet, the tow truck driver who pulled me out told me the tires met the eu standard but were shït the brand was called triangle or something and were notorious for it. Haha I remember ringing the company going ape **** saying cheap tires caused me to crash and no mention was ever made of the van which was a write off in the end.������

The German TuV standard is one of the highest in the world.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    If you go down that road......500 euro isn't alot for an oul head either really :rolleyes:

Maybe a Les Ateliers Ruby? Most of them are only open face, but at least they cost about a grand.

I put a company van into a ditch four years ago because I lost all traction on a bend in the wet, the tow truck driver who pulled me out told me the tires met the eu standard but were shït the brand was called triangle or something and were notorious for it. Haha I remember ringing the company going ape **** saying cheap tires caused me to crash and no mention was ever made of the van which was a write off in the end.������

If something is round but called Triangle,it should tell you everything really!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How would this helmet hold up in an accident? It surely has a minimum standard it has to meet but how high are the standards.

Not this again...

The European standards are reasonably high actually. Much better than in the US anyway.

I spent e500 on my Shoei with pinlock and sun visor but that's really for comfort and durability. I know Shoeis fit me properly and last me well. A lot of people swear by Arais but that's no good to me as they don't fit me. Everyone's head is different.

The problem with weight isn't so much about comfort but that it increases the forces on your neck in an accident.

Illegal to sell a lid in the EU without it.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement