Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice - FE1s and Masters in the same year

• 14-07-2018 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I have 5 FE1s to finish and I'm also planning on starting a LLM in September. Planning on doing 3/4 FE1s at the October sitting and the remaining 1/2 in March.

With the FE1s I'm likely to miss some of the first few weeks of the masters. I wouldn't be finished the FE1s until 5 weeks into the course.

Has anyone done this before? Is it a bad idea?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

FE!student wrote: »
    I have 5 FE1s to finish and I'm also planning on starting a LLM in September. Planning on doing 3/4 FE1s at the October sitting and the remaining 1/2 in March.

With the FE1s I'm likely to miss some of the first few weeks of the masters. I wouldn't be finished the FE1s until 5 weeks into the course.

Has anyone done this before? Is it a bad idea?

Appreciate any advice.

IMO you will be better off to finish your FE-1 exams first and do the masters while you are waiting around for placement. You are going to make a bad impression on your Masters course if you're not there in the early weeks. You are also at risk that you may fail some of your FE 1 exams and have to repeat, which will cause you further difficulties with your Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 EJ15

I did my LLB amd FE1s at the same time. It was very hard work but well worth it. Great to have it all done together.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

IMO you will be better off to finish your FE-1 exams first and do the masters while you are waiting around for placement. You are going to make a bad impression on your Masters course if you're not there in the early weeks. You are also at risk that you may fail some of your FE 1 exams and have to repeat, which will cause you further difficulties with your Masters.

Thanks for the reply. It’s likely that I will make the first 3 weeks of lectures. The FE1s are on the 4th and 5th weeks, so unlikely to make those weeks unless the timetable is favorable. I think there is attendance/participation marks for some modules.

I’d love to do both but I’m just worried about the stress, particularly for the October sitting. The only plus is that I won’t be working the weeks before the FE1s so I should be prepared and organised enough to allow me to attend the masters lecturers.

Can’t make up my mind what to do but thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FE!student

EJ15 wrote: »
    I did my LLB amd FE1s at the same time. It was very hard work but well worth it. Great to have it all done together.

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask did you miss the first few weeks of you LLB or were you able to attend lectures?

FE!student wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask did you miss the first few weeks of you LLB or were you able to attend lectures?

I did miss a few lectures but I really don't think it made a difference. You have to do your own reading anyway. I just made sure i caught up with my reading after the fe1s. Feel free to PM me if you want more detail about what I did etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I thought you had to have your degree before doing FE1s?

randomrb wrote: »

I thought you had to have your degree before doing FE1s?
    You do. I did the two year graduate entry LLB. Already had a degree whilst sitting the fe1s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

I'm doing a masters (2 years) and my FE1'S this coming Oct/ March so hopefully it is doable!!

Advertisement