Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling the Barrow line/way

Options
  • 14-07-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

hi

anyone cycled the Barrow line from Monasterevin to St. Mullins, 94km ?

is is doable on a road bike with 25/28c tyres ?

that section is part of a longer route and i'd prefer not to bring the MTB for the whole route

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Have walked all of it and cycled bits. Met and had a good chat with a group of four cyclists there last year. They were cycling the full St Mullins to Robertstown route, had 3 MTBs and 1 road bike between them and took turns on the road bike. They were quite sorry they hadn't brought a fourth MTB.

In general I found the towpath to be smoother than the grassy sections of the Royal Canal where grass cutting in wet conditions results in tyre ridges. I suspect the stone base of the Barrow towpath is quite near the surface. With 28mm tyres at about 75psi on a Cannodale Synapse I found it reasonably comfortable provided I kept to below 25kph. If you are planning on doing the full 94km in one day and don't have an "absorbent" frame, I think the MTB would be a good bit more comfortable.

I'll be interested in hearing other people's experience and your's if you go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I only have experience of the canal towpath either side of Rathangan, while it's passable in dry weather and I've done a few bits of it I wouldn't take a decent road bike on to it again. A few of the lads in our club use CX bikes on it OK and my brother does a lot of MTB on his hardtail with no issues but then you wouldn't expect any

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

That'll be the Trench Eyre 400 that you're doing. I'll also be trying not to fall into the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

devonp wrote: »
    hi

anyone cycled the Barrow line from Monasterevin to St. Mullins, 94km ?

is is doable on a road bike with 25/28c tyres ?

that section is part of a longer route and i'd prefer not to bring the MTB for the whole route

cheers

It depends how comfortable you are on mixed surfaces with 28mm tyres and a road bike; personally I would err on side of road bike all day for that event.

But I ride on sh1te roads, some unsurfaced and enjoy it but it's not for everyone.

At your weight (70kg or less?) you'd get away with 60/70psi front/back or even less with a ride rim wheel and gp4000 or similar.

Nice loose grip on bars, good bend in elbows and you'd be sorted.

I'd be inclined to do that than ride 300km of road on a mtb!!

Enjoy I'd love to have the energy/interest!

I've walked 20-30km of it north of St Mullins and if weather holds that section is grand from memory. Following a river for that length would be brilliant, I regularly ride/walk the Suir Blueway and its magic

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

I did Athy to St Mullins along the towpath and back via the roads a few years ago. I used a mountain bike but I think you would be fine with a road bike and 28mm tyres, just remember to use padded gloves.

If I was doing it again now I would take my road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'll be taking the road bike running 35mm slick tyres but I'm gonna add a bit of padding to the bar tops and steal the suspension seat post from the shopper bike if it'll fit. I don't think there's any point in fitting my lidl 'treking' tyres (I used them for the Long Heron last year) as the surface isn't as rough as the Royal Canal was.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

I cycled the entire length on a gravel bike last year. I think you would be ok with 28mm tires once it stays pretty dry, especially if you have some thread. It's tough on the wrists so keep the pressure low. If it's wet you will struggle for traction in sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Barrow test on the Royal...

did a spin today including some of the rough bits of the Royal canal from Cloncurry bridge to Ferrans lock (lock 17) on the road bike, its a Canyon with 25c conti's on DT swiss R23 spline rims, supposedly giving a 27c profile.

it wasn't too bad on the grassy/track section, i kept the speed down below ~ 20kph. could feel the tractor ruts on the track part but going to the middle was too slow, felt the bike catching in the longer grass.

the rest back to Leixlip was fine both the sandy fine gravel and the rougher stuff as well from Intel to Louisa bridge

so anyone know how the Cloncurry track section compares to the Barrow line ?
    are there many sections or how much like the above?

cheers

https://www.strava.com/activities/1713304755/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Could you camp easily along this blueway?

What is the scenery like? Is it open to the countryside or enclosed by trees and hedge?

Thanks

Advertisement