Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Depressurisation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

2,500 flight movements daily, officially one of the safest airlines in the world. These things happen when you have 435 aircraft in the air every day

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

On the news at lunchtime - sounded horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Fattes wrote: »
    2,500 flight movements daily, officially one of the safest airlines in the world. These things happen when you have 435 aircraft in the air every day

That doesn't excuse it.there still has to be an investigation.what if the same problem is waiting to happen in similar aircraft that they have or Any airline has for that matter.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It was mentioned in the FR24 thread last night, and a link to RTE put up as well.

Given the way that some media sources exaggerate things, I tend to wait to see a post on AVHerald before getting too concerned about incidents such as this.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Terrible for all concerned but as said above RA have a great safety record. These things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

People more concerned about meal vouchers and hotel accommodation by the sounds of things. At least they got on the ground safely to complain about the aftercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

That doesn't excuse it.there still has to be an investigation.what if the same problem is waiting to happen in similar aircraft that they have or Any airline has for that matter.

??! Strange response, of course there will be an investigation and internal MRO. Currently ryanair are probably going over the aircraft with a fine tooth comb to figure out what happened.

Every day across the world airlines have incidents like this, Basic law of averages in aviation Ryanair are far above the average safety curve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

Serious loss of cabin pressure is a frightening event at the best of times, however the crew seemed to follow SOP by deploying the oxygen masks and descending to a more breathable flight level and landed safely, this would likely have caused the ear pressure and nausea suffered by passengers.

However when flying over Europe crew has many alternate airports to land at. If this was a Ryanair flight over the Atlantic then serious questions arise..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

30 had to go to hospital.

Claim city, here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

IE 222 wrote: »
    People more concerned about meal vouchers and hotel accommodation by the sounds of things. At least they got on the ground safely to complain about the aftercare.

Saw that in the Journal as well. Crazy expectations, they got to the ground without any loss of life anything thereafter in this situation is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Stanford wrote: »
    . If this was a Ryanair flight over the Atlantic then serious questions arise..

What a silly statement, what questions?
    It's the exact same procedure only the nearest airport is further away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Noxegon wrote: »

Last line of that report reads "When it was put to Ryanair that German police said 33 people had been taken to hospital the airline said they would not comment any further."

I wonder what further comment the journo was expecting from Ryanair? She was probably hoping for a couple of broken limbs so her headline could be sexed up a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They said the crew were excellent but at the Airport very little help, did they expect people to be waiting there to look after them, It was an emergency diversion and no one would have been expecting them .

Only 33 out of 189 passengers sought treatment...................?

Serious loss of cabin pressure is a frightening event at the best of times, however the crew seemed to follow SOP by deploying the oxygen masks and descending to a more breathable flight level and landed safely, this would likely have caused the ear pressure and nausea suffered by passengers.

However when flying over Europe crew has many alternate airports to land at. If this was a Ryanair flight over the Atlantic then serious questions arise..

I presume that if it happened to any Boeing 737-8AS flight being flown over the Atlantic by any airline, serious questions would arise.

Snotty wrote: »
    What a silly statement, what questions?
    It's the exact same procedure only the nearest airport is further away

True but my point was because of the proximity of alternate airports the crew could divert and land quickly, depressurising over the Atlantic and possibly flying through bad weather with the nearest alternate 3 hours away with injured passengers prolongs the emergency

Only 33 out of 189 passengers sought treatment...................?

Shocking really - the media must be gutted that so many passengers managed to endure such a potentially serious event without needing hospital treatment.

Although hopefully Joe Duffy will be able to dig up a traumatised passenger or two for his audience's delectation next Monday!

In passing, may I congratulate the aircrew for coping with the situation so professionally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Squatter wrote:
    Updated story in the Irish Times:

What a cock headline. Alluding to foul play by FR. Burst ear drums and flying do not mix so ground transportation is a sensible option given the circumstances.

faceman wrote: »
    What a cock headline. Alluding to foul play by FR. Burst ear drums and flying do not mix so ground transportation is a sensible option given the circumstances.

Reading the second half of that report, I reckon that the Irish Times has found the ideal candidate for Monday's Liveline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Squatter wrote: »
    Reading the second half of that report, I reckon that the Irish Times has found the ideal candidate for Monday's Liveline!

Absolutely. Where did he expect Ryanair staff to appear from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Squatter wrote: »

According to FR24 the aircraft landed at 2321 hrs, i.e. after midnight local time, when HHN would have been in effect closed for the night as far as passenger flights are concerned.

The Irish Times should be able to do better than this type of writing (note gratuitous use of "chaos" when nothing chaotic is then described):

"Mr Brennan described the chaos which ensued when the plane began to lose pressure mid-air.

“Oxygen masks dropped and then about 20 seconds later the pilot made an announcement that he was going to make a controlled descent. Then we descended really, really fast for about 5 minutes. My ears felt like they were going to explode."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

EchoIndia wrote: »
    According to FR24 the aircraft landed at 2321 hrs, i.e. after midnight local time, when HHN would have been in effect closed for the night as far as passenger flights are concerned.

The Irish Times should be able to do better than this type of writing (note gratuitous use of "chaos" when nothing chaotic is then described):

"Mr Brennan described the chaos which ensued when the plane began to lose pressure mid-air.

“Oxygen masks dropped and then about 20 seconds later the pilot made an announcement that he was going to make a controlled descent. Then we descended really, really fast for about 5 minutes. My ears felt like they were going to explode."

RTE news has a line from a passenger who said
    "Some people were bleeding from the ears and nose. Others were nervous but no one panicked. Not even the babies cried."

Guess that wasn't sexy enough for the IT though. The media coverage after these instances is just hysterical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

True but my point was because of the proximity of alternate airports the crew could divert and land quickly, depressurising over the Atlantic and possibly flying through bad weather with the nearest alternate 3 hours away with injured passengers prolongs the emergency
    Ryanair planes don't fly any where near 3 hours out into the Atlantic. The furthest they go is about an hour and a half over the Bay o Biscay.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

That will be true of any aircraft that has 3 hour ETOPS clearance, and for any airline that operates with those certifications.

In the scenario of an engine failure in the mixture, that 3 hours could be longer due to the reduced performance on one engine.

There are very few routes on the Atlantic that are that far from an alternate airport, though the subtle differentiation between nearest "available" and nearest "suitable" can make for interesting reading when looking back over the reports.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Personally and I’m not really sure if anyone else agrees with me but I’d rather be alive with a few Bits bleeding than being sent home in a coffin. Hey that’s just me.

Well done to the crew for responding and acting correctly.

EchoIndia wrote: »

In fairness, it takes talent and creativity to turn a good news story into a sensationalist one! I suspect that the duty journo concerned is hoping for a career in one of the tabloids when she has completed her IT internship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Why did they pick Hahn when they would be better choices available such as FRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Why did they pick Hahn when they would be better choices available such as FRA?

Maybe it was closer. Get medical attention to the passengers sooner and potentially an undiagnosed airframe integrity issue meaning they wanted to get the aircraft on the ground ASAP. Was it an outflow valve issue or something more serious?

Other less serious considerations, maybe they have maintenance in Hahn but not in Frankfurt, it was after curfew in FRA so not many people around to look after pax.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    Ryanair planes don't fly any where near 3 hours out into the Atlantic. The furthest they go is about an hour and a half over the Bay o Biscay.

I am aware of that, my post did say " If this was a Ryanair flight over the Atlantic"

Advertisement