Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Depressurisation

Options

Comments

Noxegon wrote: »

What a username OP! It's almost as impressive as the response from Ryanair's crew in this emergency situation.

I've flown quite a bit over the last 6 weeks, and can only imagine the fear which would ensue if I saw those oxygen masks suddenly pop down.

To come out with my life at the end of such an experience, I'd honestly be delighted and thankful to get the chance to sleep on the floor of an airport in the aftermath.

The plane diverted to Frankfurt Hahn? Not a surprise then at the lack of accommodation for the affected passengers, Hahn is not surrounded by hotels like most city airports and is in a relatively remote location.

I have more flights coming up in the next week, some with Ryanair. This kind of incident doesn't put me off. If anything, it is assuring to see that the crew were able to handle this situation impeccably and get everyone out alive and well.

Well done Ryanair crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Stanford

What a username OP! It's almost as impressive as the response from Ryanair's crew in this emergency situation.

I've flown quite a bit over the last 6 weeks, and can only imagine the fear which would ensue if I saw those oxygen masks suddenly pop down.

To come out with my life at the end of such an experience, I'd honestly be delighted and thankful to get the chance to sleep on the floor of an airport in the aftermath.

The plane diverted to Frankfurt Hahn? Not a surprise then at the lack of accommodation for the affected passengers, Hahn is not surrounded by hotels like most city airports and is in a relatively remote location.

I have more flights coming up in the next week, some with Ryanair. This kind of incident doesn't put me off. If anything, it is assuring to see that the crew were able to handle this situation impeccably and get everyone out alive and well.

Well done Ryanair crew.

True, the flight crew's first responsibility is to get the aircraft and passengers on the ground safely which they did, everything else is secondary to that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Once you’re in the plane cabin and flying, you have zero control as a passenger. Youre truly in the hands of the crew. I’ve often found myself bouncing around in turbulence and my biggest concern is trying to get my wine glass safely to my mouth without spilling. I have to trust in the pilots and the crew and the integrity of the aircraft in those situations.

Well done to the crew, at first reading it sounds like procedure was followed and everyone walked out relatively unharmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

ger664 wrote: »
    Saw that in the Journal as well. Crazy expectations, they got to the ground without any loss of life anything thereafter in this situation is a bonus.

Supposedly it was 11pm local time on a Friday night in a major city and airline transfer hub in the middle of the summer peak season. Some people are just unrealistic in their expectations. Maybe it's best they remain clueless as to the seriousness of what happened or they'll be all claiming for damages to their mental health and will never be able to fly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Sounds like the crew did a good job and the airline itself did the best it could in the situation.

Seen and heard of plenty decompressions before but never seen people bleeding from their ears and nose, the photo of the oxegen mask filled with blood is horrible! Must have been terrifying.

The media response is uncalled for, they love to dramatise everything when it comes to aviation. Ryanair is also guilty of playing the media over the years, thriving off the gossip and rumours that float around the airline so it’s a two way street in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Fattes wrote: »
    ??! Strange response, of course there will be an investigation and internal MRO. Currently ryanair are probably going over the aircraft with a fine tooth comb to figure out what happened.

Every day across the world airlines have incidents like this, Basic law of averages in aviation Ryanair are far above the average safety curve

Well let me explain my response.I just found your reply very blase as if you didn't really give Any thought to the people on board.people got very sick and dozens were hospitalized from that flight because of this.
    To say it happens every day is quite frankly a very clinical thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Well let me explain my response.I just found your reply very blase as if you didn't really give Any thought to the people on board.people got very sick and dozens were hospitalized from that flight because of this.
    To say it happens every day is quite frankly a very clinical thing to say.

No it's a reality, every day dozens of flights experience tech issues, be it depresurizarion, engine difficulty, landing gear or things Joe public would never know about.

190 odd people on board 20-35 hospitalised, some minor injures some not minor, but none life threatinging or changing for the individuals concerned.

Media & Individuals dramatising and blowing the incident out of proportion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

IE 222 wrote: »
    Supposedly it was 11pm local time on a Friday night in a major city and airline transfer hub in the middle of the summer peak season. Some people are just unrealistic in their expectations. Maybe it's best they remain clueless as to the seriousness of what happened or they'll be all claiming for damages to their mental health and will never be able to fly again.

Airlines could have an insurance policy that would mobilise non airline specific resources for what are uncommon incidents. Perhaps airports should have such a thing that would trigger for any emergency diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Few things strike me ....

A ... this is why you listen to the safety briefing
    B.... looks like it was handled well by crew
    C... landed at hahn I assume because this was a FR base ... it a an old I usaf base on top of a hill in the middle of a huge forest ... ie in the middle of nowhere.

All in all bit of a non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

dudara wrote: »
    I’ve often found myself bouncing around in turbulence and my biggest concern is trying to get my wine glass safely to my mouth without spilling.
    Tip: Hold your glass above the traytable and try not to rest your elbow on the arm rest. Your glass will "float" without any spillage. Sip as required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

NIMAN wrote: »
    30 had to go to hospital.

Claim city, here we come.

Last count, 1285 passengers were on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Stanford wrote: »
    I am aware of that, my post did say " If this was a Ryanair flight over the Atlantic"

I was on an aer lingus flight a few years ago that had to do an emergency landing in winnipeg.

Landing gear had issues, Passengers were in air for two hours knowing the problem. We were told to expect the worse, plane may land without aid of landing gear. All emergency vehicles were out waiting. Heads between the legs.

Plane landed safely.

Not an iota of a word about it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

As serious incidents go, depressurisation is one of the more common. Crew appeared to have done well and no serious injuries. They did what they were trained to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Damien360

Can I ask the people who operate as crew here, why would there be blood pictured in a oxygen mask from that flight. Unless there is a pre-existing condition I can't see why it would be there.

I can imagine the pain of ears from depressurisation would be incredible as I once had a serious cold on a flight and the pain in my ears from Switzerland to Dublin was immense. Aftermath lasted 2 weeks. I wouldn't expect blood as it would be inner eardrum burst (is that possible ? )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Damien360 wrote: »
    Can I ask the people who operate as crew here, why would there be blood pictured in a oxygen mask from that flight. Unless there is a pre-existing condition I can't see why it would be there.

I can imagine the pain of ears from depressurisation would be incredible as I once had a serious cold on a flight and the pain in my ears from Switzerland to Dublin was immense. Aftermath lasted 2 weeks. I wouldn't expect blood as it would be inner eardrum burst (is that possible ? )

I'm in no way qualified to answer this and am only guessing but could it be a nosebleed from the pressure change?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd almost certainly have a nose bleed under those conditions, that would be inside the mask

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Damien360 wrote: »

Nose bleed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

http://avherald.com/h?article=4bb20f20&opt=0

Reported bleeding from ears. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Airlines could have an insurance policy that would mobilise non airline specific resources for what are uncommon incidents. Perhaps airports should have such a thing that would trigger for any emergency diversion.

What do you mean, have teams of people or hotel rooms all around Europe on standby just on the of chance.

People need to get off their high horses and apply some common sense into their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Of course there were no hotels, they landed in Hahn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've worked out of Hahn a few times, the only big hotel is the B&B Hotel at the terminal, and it's more of a hostel.

There are a few tiny villages around with small family owned type hotels but it really is in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Myself and my sister in laws husband were sitting watching the news awhile ago shaking our heads that this was the main headline on rte six one. WTF....plane had problem, safety procedures kicked in, plane landed, everyone safe. If it wasn't Ryanair....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

SeaFields wrote: »
    Myself and my sister in laws husband were sitting watching the news awhile ago shaking our heads that this was the main headline on rte six one. WTF....plane had problem, safety procedures kicked in, plane landed, everyone safe. If it wasn't Ryanair....

Slow news day? They have to report on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

I can't believe some of the posts here. You must all love Ryanair. This is very serious + in my opinion highlights everything that is wrong with using Ryanair. Ok so the incident itself on board was handled well. However what was shocking was how people were treated afterwards. Report in Irish Times of how long it took for medical assistance to reach people. Yes lucky enough most of it not too serious but still burst ear drums not pleasant + some people could be suffering from shock etc which can cause heart attacks in people with weak hearts. It took that long because as people said this is an airport in the middle of nowhere. What if there was more serious injuries? People need to cop on + stop flying to airports in middle if nowhere because it's a cheap flight. These airports dont have adequate back up to deal with emergenies. That's before the inconveince of no hotel etc. People need to wake up + see Ryanair for sham it is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

appledrop wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the posts here. You must all love Ryanair. This is very serious + in my opinion highlights everything that is wrong with using Ryanair. Ok so the incident itself on board was handled well. However what was shocking was how people were treated afterwards. Report in Irish Times of how long it took for medical assistance to reach people. Yes lucky enough most of it not too serious but still burst ear drums not pleasant + some people could be suffering from shock etc which can cause heart attacks in people with weak hearts. It took that long because as people said this is an airport in the middle of nowhere. What if there was more serious injuries? People need to cop on + stop flying to airports in middle if nowhere because it's a cheap flight. These airports dont have adequate back up to deal with emergenies. That's before the inconveince of no hotel etc. People need to wake up + see Ryanair for sham it is.

Zadar isn't in the middle of nowhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What on earth are you talking about? You think Ryanair deliberately delayed medical assistance coming? Or had any control over it?

There were no heart attacks.

Ryanair fly to many many airports.

Ryanair is far from a sham. It's probably aviation's biggest success story.

I don't know anything about Zadar but was talking about Hahn + so many other Ryanair airports. One of the few tines I used Ryanair I flew to 'Barcelona'. Two hours bus journey away + in middle of nowhere. On return journey couldn't find the street were Ryanair bus was leaving from + nearly missed it. Would have had no way to airport then. It's just madness.

They didn't delay medical assistance. The fact is these airports are too small to cater for emergencies. As one woman on the flight said she was told the nearest hospital was 70km away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They didn't delay medical assistance. The fact is these airports are too small to cater for emergencies. As one woman on the flight said she was told the nearest hospital was 70km away.

Shannon is 27km from UH Limerick and 26km form Ennis Regional Hospital. Generally airports aren't built near hospitals.

• Advertisement

Yes but Shannon have own fire service + ambulances always go to airport ig any issues. Incident back in May + noted that fire trucks + ambulances on runway for airplane when it landed.

Advertisement