Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Depressurisation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

appledrop wrote: »
    Yes but Shannon have own fire service + ambulances always go to airport ig any issues. Incident back in May + noted that fire trucks + ambulances on runway for airplane when it landed.

In fairness Shannon is a designated ETOPS diversion airport AFAIK so its not really comparable with other airports its size.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes but Shannon have own fire service + ambulances always go to airport ig any issues. Incident back in May + noted that fire trucks + ambulances on runway for airplane when it landed.

You'll find that every commercial airport (including Hahn) has emergency services. The ambulances at Shannon come from Limerick/Ennis and are normally there because the emergency is declared while the aircraft is over an hour out over the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well why did people on the flight say they had to wait so long for medical assistance? I wasn't there but have to take there word for it. Why would they lie? Over 30 people going to hospital is a big deal. As someone who hates flying I would go into melt down if this happened on a flight I was on. A lot of people are afraid of flying. It's a real fear + this wouldn't be a nice experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

appledrop wrote:
    I can't believe some of the posts here. You must all love Ryanair. This is very serious + in my opinion highlights everything that is wrong with using Ryanair. Ok so the incident itself on board was handled well. However what was shocking was how people were treated afterwards. Report in Irish Times of how long it took for medical assistance to reach people. Yes lucky enough most of it not too serious but still burst ear drums not pleasant + some people could be suffering from shock etc which can cause heart attacks in people with weak hearts. It took that long because as people said this is an airport in the middle of nowhere. What if there was more serious injuries? People need to cop on + stop flying to airports in middle if nowhere because it's a cheap flight. These airports dont have adequate back up to deal with emergenies. That's before the inconveince of no hotel etc. People need to wake up + see Ryanair for sham it is.

This is about a serious incident involving an Irish airline, it's not about your hated of Ryanair due to them flying you to an airport for which you knowingly booked a flight to. End

Well why did people on the flight say they had to wait so long for medical assistance? I wasn't there but have to take there word for it. Why would they lie? Over 30 people going to hospital is a big deal. As someone who hates flying I would go into melt down if this happened on a flight I was on. A lot of people are afraid of flying. It's a real fear + this wouldn't be a nice experience.

Because the ambulances have to be scrambled from the nearest hospital. Obviously in this situation the aircraft wasn't an hour away from the nearest airport so was able to divert relatively quickly and the ambulances hadn't arrived.

And the bolded bit is very important. You weren't there so you don't know what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

I can't believe some of the posts here. You must all love Ryanair. This is very serious + in my opinion highlights everything that is wrong with using Ryanair. Ok so the incident itself on board was handled well. However what was shocking was how people were treated afterwards. Report in Irish Times of how long it took for medical assistance to reach people. Yes lucky enough most of it not too serious but still burst ear drums not pleasant + some people could be suffering from shock etc which can cause heart attacks in people with weak hearts. It took that long because as people said this is an airport in the middle of nowhere. What if there was more serious injuries? People need to cop on + stop flying to airports in middle if nowhere because it's a cheap flight. These airports dont have adequate back up to deal with emergenies. That's before the inconveince of no hotel etc. People need to wake up + see Ryanair for sham it is.

Piolts should of held on and checked if local hotels rooms were available before rushing into making the decision to land in Hann.

If the worse did happen and the plane suffered something catastrophic (obviously the piolts weren't to know what caused the problem at the time) should they risk everything to ensure everyone will have a cosy bed for the night.

Have you read this thread? Apart from me no one else seems to be taking this incident seriously. I'm glad you at least recognised it as serious. People calling it a non news story when 30 people taking to hospital? I might not be a fan of Ryanair but plenty of people here with blinkers on about how serious this incident was.

Of course the lack of hotel rooms not the most important thing but again if in more central location there would be new hotels.

I give up. None of you want to see the wood from the trees. Go ahead + keep flying with them.

Have you read this thread? Apart from me no one else seems to be taking this incident seriously. I'm glad you at least recognised it as serious. People calling it a non news story when 30 people taking to hospital? I might not be a fan of Ryanair but plenty of people here with blinkers on about how serious this incident was.

Everyone is taking the incident seriously. However the crew acted professionally and safely got the flight on the ground. They are to be praised for their actions.

What then happens is down to the airport operators not Ryanair. Hahn wasn't their destination airport. It just happened that they were near there when the incident occurred, so diverted there.

Of course the lack of hotel rooms not the most important thing but again if in more central location there would be new hotels.

I give up. None of you want to see the wood from the trees. Go ahead + keep flying with them.

On the contrary. Your dislike of Ryanair is blinding you the the facts of the incident.

• Advertisement

They aren't taking it serious. People here complaint that rte were bothering to report the story. I get that they were diverted to Hahn + not their destination but Hahn is used by Ryanair all the time so worrying if assistance is slow.

They aren't taking it serious. People here complaint that rte were bothering to report the story. I get that they were diverted to Hahn + not their destination but Hahn is used by Ryanair all the time so worrying if assistance is slow.

It is a non story aviation wise and is only in the news because it's Ryanair. It could have happened to any airline And has happened without making the headlines).

And again, the emergency services reaction time HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RYANAIR, so they cannot be blamed for any delay in getting the injured passengers to hospital.

Most airline accidents any airline happen during take off or landing hence why I refuse to fly to any airport that doesn't have the capacity to deal with serious incidents. That's my choice.

Most of the reporting on the story was that there was a lack of hotel rooms available, Ryanair didn't have a team of customer service agents greet the flight, meal vouchers weren't handed out as soon as people expected and that people were 13 hours late by the time a new aircraft was found to complete the journey or that due to injuries that some people suffered they had to be transferred by bus to their destination.

The injuries happened after the emergency was declared when they were quickly descending to a safe flight level at which point the nearest known airport to the crew would of been chosen. It's unlikely the pilots would of known of the injuries until after they levelled out and preparing to land at Hann.

The incident was handled professionally by the crew and Ryanair. If you think RTE or the Irish Times would provide better solutions or an airline should be factoring in what hotel accommodation and level of customer service they can provide on the ground at the time of a crisis 37000ft in the air I suggest you should stay away from air travel altogether.

For me the best customer service was offered on this flight, they all walked off the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Hahnn was not the original destination, when an emergency is declared, the pilot does not decide where the aircraft lands ATC do. So ATC diverted the aircraft to Hahnn, lack of hotels, food options or facilities are not the responsibility of an airline diverting to a closed airport as Instructed bye ATC

The incident is had the potential to be very serious, however the crew acted professionally the aircraft landed safely, and with only 16% of the passengers with relitavely minor Injuries. I would call that a great success.

Also what posters are pointing out, is that incidents of this nature happen daily in avition

Most airline accidents any airline happen during take off or landing hence why I refuse to fly to any airport that doesn't have the capacity to deal with serious incidents. That's my choice.

You must not fly much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Fattes wrote: »
    Hahnn was not the original destination, when an emergency is declared, the pilot does not decide where the aircraft lands ATC do. So ATC diverted the aircraft to Hahnn, lack of hotels, food options or facilities are not the responsibility of an airline diverting to a closed airport as Instructed bye ATC

The incident is had the potential to be very serious, however the crew acted professionally the aircraft landed safely, and with only 16% of the passengers with relitavely minor Injuries. I would call that a great success.

Also what posters are pointing out, is that incidents of this nature happen daily in avition

Agree with everything else you're posted in this thread, however Captain/crew would most certainly choose the airport to divert to over ATC instructing them where to go.

Well I haven't gone on about any of that. What I have said all along it that I have a problem with some if these smaller airports that don't have adequate back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Agree with everything else you're posted in this thread, however Captain/crew would most certainly choose the airport to divert to over ATC instructing them where to go.

Flight crew & ATC would be making the decision based on the status of the aircraft risk etc.i would class this as a forced Landing rather than precautionary, so ATC would be providing input.

IE 222 wrote: »
    You must not fly much so.

I don't. As mentioned I have a fear of flying which I developed as a result of serve turbulence on a flight. So I know what effect a serious incident can have on people even if physically they are fine.

• Advertisement

Well I haven't gone on about any of that. What I have said all along it that I have a problem with some if these smaller airports that don't have adequate back up.

How many ambulances and fire trucks do you reckon Dublin airport have on standby.

DUB would've needed the assistance of Dublin Fire Brigade to handle this many injuries and with how quickly this event took place I doubt Dublin would of handled this any better or quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the plane had landed in Dublin Airport our off airport emergency services response would have been worse than Hann's response. There would have been no hospital to get taken to if they could get an ambulance to you.

Fattes wrote: »
    Flight crew & ATC would be making the decision based on the status of the aircraft risk etc.i would class this as a forced Landing rather than precautionary, so ATC would be providing input.

ATC will only suggest what's available. The pilots will decide which airport suits them best as ATC have no way of knowing how good or bad things are on board or what the aircraft's limits are if damaged ect. At least one of the the pilots would want to be familiar with the airport as well as many other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭B00056718

Last time I was driving to Hahn about two months ago and witnessed a road incident. A helicopter was there fairly instanly, to airlift the casualty.
    I'd say someone assessed the Ryanair landing situation and decided that 20 minutes won't kill anyone.
    Hahn might be a small airport in middle of nowhere, but it handles 747s, C5 galaxies, AN124, A330 and many other rather large aircraft. Also it is still an operating military base. I'd say the resources would be available should things go very wrong.

I don't. As mentioned I have a fear of flying which I developed as a result of serve turbulence on a flight. So I know what effect a serious incident can have on people even if physically they are fine.

Thought so.

But I do fine it strange that for someone who has a fear of flying because of turbulence why would they be so concerned as to what airport their going to land at in the case of such an incident. Surely you would want your feet safely back on the ground as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As an aviation enthusiast I will generally side with the industry vs. the media when I hear of conflicting reports and some sensationalising by outlets.

When you fly as many flights as FR do unfortunately the probablity is that there will be incidents of this nature (very rarely, but they will happen).

You would think though that it would be a sensible policy to pull out all the stops to look after passengers when there has been an actual mayday, as opposed to the occasional delay, especially where there have been any injuries however minor. Sensible business practice and just plain common decency demand that when you have caused people actual pain you do everything in your power to put it right.

"refreshment vouchers" does not cover this.
    IE 222 wrote: »
    How many ambulances and fire trucks do you reckon Dublin airport have on standby.

DUB would've needed the assistance of Dublin Fire Brigade to handle this many injuries and with how quickly this event took place I doubt Dublin would of handled this any better or quicker.

One and about ten, respectively. For 33 casualties you would be calling the civil defence and that's after DAA, DFB and NAS would have exhausted local resources, because you would just know the number and not necessarily how serious.

Dublin airport have their own fire service at the airport. I have been there they have a lot of vehicles.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't know anything about Zadar but was talking about Hahn + so many other Ryanair airports. One of the few tines I used Ryanair I flew to 'Barcelona'. Two hours bus journey away + in middle of nowhere. On return journey couldn't find the street were Ryanair bus was leaving from + nearly missed it. Would have had no way to airport then. It's just madness.

You obviously didn't fly to Barcelona, maybe Girona? It's not Ryanair's fault you didnt do your research.

And you couldn't find the street where the bus left from? Again your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Dublin airport have their own fire service at the airport. I have been there they have a lot of vehicles.

They have approximately 3 fire engines. Unless you plan on throwing the passengers onto the ladders on top or? Throw the rest into the back of the vans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    They have approximately 3 fire engines. Unless you plan on throwing the passengers onto the ladders on top or? Throw the rest into the back of the vans?

Approximately 10. From memory rough numbers are 8 rescue tenders, 1 domestic appliance, 1 ambulance (i believe also a reserve ambo) and a few 4x4 vehicles.

Edit: http://www.blues-twos.net/Dublin-Airport-Fire-Service-UPDATED-3rd-October-2016

Advertisement