Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Depressurisation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You can really tell the people who have knowledge in the area to those who have an axe to grind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

appledrop wrote: »
    I can't believe some of the posts here. You must all love Ryanair. This is very serious + in my opinion highlights everything that is wrong with using Ryanair. Ok so the incident itself on board was handled well. However what was shocking was how people were treated afterwards. Report in Irish Times of how long it took for medical assistance to reach people. Yes lucky enough most of it not too serious but still burst ear drums not pleasant + some people could be suffering from shock etc which can cause heart attacks in people with weak hearts. It took that long because as people said this is an airport in the middle of nowhere. What if there was more serious injuries? People need to cop on + stop flying to airports in middle if nowhere because it's a cheap flight. These airports dont have adequate back up to deal with emergenies. That's before the inconveince of no hotel etc. People need to wake up + see Ryanair for sham it is.

If you think this wasn't handled well, you need to spend some serious time reading some of the reports on Aviation Herald, where there are plenty of reports of emergency landings in obscure places where they can't even get the passengers off the aircraft for a considerable period of time, as there's no suitable steps at the place they landed at.

Things like hotels, or other creature comforts are not instantly available just because you've landed unannounced at an obscure airport in the middle of nowhere, at an inconvenient time of night.

Read some of the reports about the way that local communities rallied round to provide emergency accommodation for people after dozens of aircraft landed in all manner of obscure places after the events of 9/11.

How many emergency ambulances would have met the flight if it had landed at midnight at Shannon, without much prior warning?

You might be surprised at how long it takes to mobilise a large response to a medical emergency at certain times of the day, and this is not a dig at Shannon, it's a recognition that at some times of the day, and at some airports, a major emergency response takes time to put into place.

The crew made the correct decision to land the aircraft at the nearest available airport, due to concerns about the nature of the failure, which was clearly not a "normal" cabin pressure failure.

Once they were on the ground, the responsibility for the emergency response is down to the airport, and the services in the area around the airport.

The posters here are not necessarily Ryanair fans, but they (along with me) recognise that the crew of the flight responded appropriately and quickly to an event that was unexpected and clearly serious. They do not deserve or justify any criticism of their actions.
    The fact that this was a Ryanair flight is irrelevant. It would have made no difference who the operator was, the response from the airport and local services would have been exactly the same, regardless of which airline it was.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

sdanseo wrote: »
    Approximately 10. From memory rough numbers are 8 rescue tenders, 1 domestic appliance, 1 ambulance (i believe also a reserve ambo) and a few 4x4 vehicles.

Edit: http://www.blues-twos.net/Dublin-Airport-Fire-Service-UPDATED-3rd-October-2016

Not all can be sent to a single incident in case a 2nd incident occurs! So airport fire service for an incident of this nature would probably beds at least 5 ambulances from Dub fire brigade/HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Most airline accidents any airline happen during take off or landing hence why I refuse to fly to any airport that doesn't have the capacity to deal with serious incidents. That's my choice.

And do you leave a little note for the flight crew requesting that in the event of an inflight emergency you'd like them to only divert to a large capacity airport rather than the 'nearest available airfield' that their QRH calls for...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sydney morning Herald now reporting it. But I guess it's still not a news story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Appledrop, while you're entitled to your opinion, that opinion is ridiculous and shows your basic lack of knowledge or understanding of anything aviation-related. OK, you have a fear of flying, sorry to hear it, but your posts show that you have an axe to grind with Ryanair that has nothing to do with that fear.

You would do well to have a look at this link and see how depressurisation is an almost daily occurrence in the airline industry. Are all of the airlines listed here also a 'sham'?

http://avherald.com/h?search_term=Pressure+&opt=0&dosearch=1&search.x=49&search.y=6

I never said depressuisation never occurs. But over 30 people were not brought to hospital in those incidents.

Also this was a sudden depressuisation which Irish Aviation Authority have come out and said is a rare occurance. Do you think they might know something about aviation since I don't?

I never said depressuisation never occurs. But over 30 people were not brought to hospital in those incidents.

Plenty of those incidents required either medical attention from paramedics or hospital visits. For example the southwest incident.

Nosebleeds are perforated ear drums are quite common in these incidents, the availability of free universal healthcare is not in some countries which leads people not to attend medical centres (America for example)

Seriously, not sure what your issue is, the airline have done everything right here and done everything in their power to make it right. Tell us what would you have done differently?

Uncontrollable incident happens late, flight is diverted to nearest/ safest airport

Airline brings food in from outside source as non available in airport

No accommodation available so airliner airport arranges for camping beds in the airport

All passengers that can fly are put in a new flight the next morning

Those thy can't or won't, are offered a bus transfer to their final destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, they were brought to hospital, so what's your problem? How is this Ryanair's fault?

Most incidences are cases of sudden depressurisation. It's why they go through it in the preflight briefing. The crew followed the emergency procedure to perfection and should be commended. Instead they have guys like you just getting a dig in for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Shpud2 wrote: »
    In fairness Shannon is a designated ETOPS diversion airport AFAIK so its not really comparable with other airports its size.

There's no such thing as a "designated ETOPs Alternate".
    Any adequate airfield, when the weather forecast meets ETOPs suitability criteria, can be used as an ETOPs Enroute Alternate.

Fattes wrote: »
    Hahnn was not the original destination, when an emergency is declared, the pilot does not decide where the aircraft lands ATC do. So ATC diverted the aircraft to Hahnn, lack of hotels, food options or facilities are not the responsibility of an airline diverting to a closed airport as Instructed bye ATC

ATC do not tell the aircraft where to land. Only one person makes that decision, the Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They said the crew were excellent but at the Airport very little help, did they expect people to be waiting there to look after them, It was an emergency diversion and no one would have been expecting them .

Having been in difficult situations with Ryanair I am sure they expected w representative to tell them what was going on and what the plan was,if they could get their bags etc.

There were people likely on the plane needing medication (in their bags) or with young children

From past experience with Ryanair is guess they got none of this and got a better customer service from Twitter than any Ryanair customer service

Brennus335 wrote: »
    ATC do not tell the aircraft where to land. Only one person makes that decision, the Captain.

That depends on the type of emergency declared as already explained in this thread

Fattes wrote: »
    That depends on the type of emergency declared as already explained in this thread

Possibly apart from a hijacking scenario, there's no emergency where the Captain will not make the final decision on where to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Why did the captain choose to divert to Hahn though, if it's in the middle of nowhere? Maybe because he/she was familiar with it. A cynic might say Ryanair would choose Hahn over Frankfurt international because Hahn is in the middle of nowhere, with no hotels nearby etc. You'd have to assume/hope that if the nature of the original emergency was medical, eg a passenger suffering a heart attack, then they would not have landed at Hahn. But, it seems reasonable to concede that medical concerns shouldn't have played a role in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Would it not be as simple as they operate from Hahn? Same way at Paris they'd land at Beauvais and not CDG because thats where they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

plodder wrote: »
    Why did the captain choose to divert to Hahn though, if it's in the middle of nowhere? Maybe because he/she was familiar with it. A cynic might say Ryanair would choose Hahn over Frankfurt international because Hahn is in the middle of nowhere, with no hotels nearby etc.

Not a cynic, a conspiracy theorist.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Believe it or not the kind of issues that have happened with passengers after landing with this flight also happen with other airlines. It's happened to me with Aer Lingus and Air France in the past.

Personally if I was in a scary situation I'd just be happy to make it out of the situation alive and kudos to the crew for doing the right thing. Sure it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme of things I'd be happy to land in one piece.

Ryanair will land at airports not served by them in the case of needing to divert, they tend to do that more than many of the legacy carriers who tend to almost always land at the nearest airport regularly served for normal diversions, although in emergency obviously this is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Well I haven't gone on about any of that. What I have said all along it that I have a problem with some if these smaller airports that don't have adequate back up.

Then why not write to your TD and MEP about it? You can tell them that you believe that legislation should be introduced to prevent commercial aircraft from landing at the nearest airport in the event of an emergency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

devnull wrote: »
    Believe it or not the kind of issues that have happened with passengers after landing with this flight also happen with other airlines. It's happened to me with Aer Lingus and Air France in the past.

Personally if I was in a scary situation I'd just be happy to make it out of the situation alive and kudos to the crew for doing the right thing. Sure it's not ideal, but in the grand scheme of things I'd be happy to land in one piece.

Ryanair will land at airports not served by them in the case of needing to divert, they tend to do that more than many of the legacy carriers who tend to almost always land at the nearest airport regularly served for normal diversions, although in emergency obviously this is different.

Which is fair enough. But I think we routinely see a gallop to the defence on here for the airlines.

If this is a 'normal enough' occurrence, then surely properly looking after affected passengers should be normal procedure too.

You've paid for a flight to get you somewhere. Is it not perfectly legitimate to have a complaint if you don't get there and are dumped at a remote airport and left to your own devices.
    These events might be normal for airlines and pilots, they aren't for pax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

ED E wrote: »
    Would it not be as simple as they operate from Hahn? Same way at Paris they'd land at Beauvais and not CDG because thats where they operate.
    Makes it harder to explain some of the reports of people having to steal water to feed babies and the like. It should be possible to look after people at a basic level wherever they land...

Kudos to the crew by the way. Any landing that you walk away from ... etc.

If this is a 'normal enough' occurrence, then surely properly looking after affected passengers should be normal procedure too.

You've paid for a flight to get you somewhere. Is it not perfectly legitimate to have a complaint if you don't get there and are dumped at a remote airport and left to your own devices.

Perhaps the plane should not have bothered making an emergency landing and just took the risk of carrying on to it's destination. I'd far rather my crew be focused on safely landing the plane than having other factors play on their mind.

At the end of the day when something like this happens getting to ground as quickly and as safely as possible is the most important thing, everything else is of secondary importance, sure it's not nice and of course it's not good for passengers, but dealing with the emergency is the most important thing.

I was dumped at an airport 600km away from my destination in a completely different country in the past because of the destination airport was closed due to a runway closure and the airline had a policy that they divert to the nearest airport regularly served by them rather than the 8 that were closer to my destination despite it not being an emergency. I was left to my own devices too.

Which

Of course it is! In fact the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights includes an Article about the right of every citizen to moan whenever things don't go exactly according to plan!

No one here is trying to stop the passengers from having a good old moan! All that some better informed posters are doing is trying to apply some degree of perspective to the incident.

devnull wrote: »
    Perhaps the plane should not have bothered making an emergency landing and just took the risk of carrying on to it's destination. I'd far rather my crew be focused on safely landing the plane than having other factors play on their mind.

At the end of the day when something like this happens getting to ground as quickly and as safely as possible is the most important thing, everything else is of secondary importance, sure it's not nice and of course it's not good for passengers, but dealing with the emergency is the most important thing.

I was dumped at an airport 600km away from my destination in a completely different country in the past because of the destination airport was closed due to a runway closure and the airline had a policy that they divert to the nearest airport regularly served by them rather than the 8 that were closer to my destination despite it not being an emergency. I was left to my own devices too.
    Squatter wrote: »
    Of course it is! In fact the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights includes an Article about the right of every citizen to moan whenever things don't go exactly according to plan!

No one here is trying to stop the passengers from having a good old moan! All that some better informed posters are doing is trying to apply some degree of perspective to the incident.

QED here lads/lassies.

The aviation buffs were the first to claim this is a normal occurence.
    Ok, I accept that, it is to be expected by pilots, ATC, Ground crew, Airport management and Airline's that these things will and do happen.

So why in god's name is it such a travesty for someone to complain because they were treated badly because Airport management and Airline's were not prepared for a 'routine' 'fairly common' event?

Pilots and ATC, ground crew clearly did their jobs here for the passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

plodder wrote: »
    Why did the captain choose to divert to Hahn though, if it's in the middle of nowhere? Maybe because he/she was familiar with it. A cynic might say Ryanair would choose Hahn over Frankfurt international because Hahn is in the middle of nowhere, with no hotels nearby etc. You'd have to assume/hope that if the nature of the original emergency was medical, eg a passenger suffering a heart attack, then they would not have landed at Hahn. But, it seems reasonable to concede that medical concerns shouldn't have played a role in this case.
    markpb wrote: »
    Not a cynic, a conspiracy theorist.

Yes I'm sure that would have been the first thing going through his mind as he was making his emergency descent...
    'Got to get this thing on the ground somewhere where there are no hotel rooms..' :rolleyes:

So why in god's name is it such a travesty for someone to complain because they were treated badly because Airport management and Airline's were not prepared for a 'routine' 'fairly common' event?

Define "prepared".

Squatter wrote: »
    Define "prepared".

'Ready to cope with'. 'Have a clearly defined proceedure'.

'Ready to cope with'. 'Have a clearly defined proceedure'.

In what way did their preparations fail?

i.e.

Did the plane land safely?

Were all passengers able to disembark?

Was the terminal building open?

Were the toilets clean?

• Advertisement

I've just had a look through the thread and nobody has used the words 'routine' or 'fairly common' to describe the incident so I'm unsure why you are asking me to answer a question about something that was never described as such?

How many airports are there in Europe? Huge numbers, do you think that every single airport can have large numbers of fire crews, ambulances, special services, to cover every possible kind of emergency or problem that could happen with a plane or at an airport 24x7x365?

Every airport will have a certain level of presence for these situations at all times, but the idea that you'll have huge amounts of staff sitting around on the off-chance that they might be needed isn't really something I can see happening in the same way you don't see huge numbers of police/ambulance hanging around all day at every sporting event or train station in the off chance there might be trouble or an accident.

Advertisement