Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Depressurisation

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

First. Any annoncement would have to be automatic, triggered by the fact that the masks have deployed. That sounds ever so simple, but because it would require a link from flight deck systems into the cabin systems, there would be a plethora of certification issues to be worked through to implement a system of that nature.
    Second, the fact that the masks are dangling does not mean an automatic high speed descent, for all sorts of reasons, so telling people about it could be counter productive, and even dangerous.
    Third, the flight deck have more than enough to do in this scenario, they won't have the time to be making PA announcements so soon into the event, they will be dealing with the bigger picture.
    Fourth, the cabin crew will be doing what they have to do, which is get themselves onto oxygen ASAP or quicker, as if they don't, and it's been a rapid decompression, there's a chance they will end up on the floor and unable to do anything to help anyone as they will be unconscious.

Unless there are circumstances that have not been made public, no one was "seriously" injured in this event, there were a number of passengers reviewed by the medical service, and some were advised that further travel by air for a few days was inadvisable, the reality is that some passengers will suffer similar situations if they travel when affected by a serious head cold. I don't see that being a valid reason to be taking action against the airline.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

First. Any annoncement would have to be automatic, triggered by the fact that the masks have deployed. That sounds ever so simple, but because it would require a link from flight deck systems into the cabin systems, there would be a plethora of certification issues to be worked through to implement a system of that nature.
    As far as I'm aware all Airbus aircraft already have this feature through the CIDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'm fairly sure this exists, actually.

I believe it's United that has an automatic recording that plays whenever the seatbelt light is turned on.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Noxegon wrote: »

I believe it's United that has an automatic recording that plays whenever the seatbelt light is turned on.

Norwegian have a load of automated announcements on their Max. Everything from seatbelt to various stages of the descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Following this thread with interest!

Can anyone tell me how they clear the skies below for a planes rapid descent? What exactly happens with the air traffic in that area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

jc11 wrote: »
    Following this thread with interest!

Can anyone tell me how they clear the skies below for a planes rapid descent? What exactly happens with the air traffic in that area?

Bear in mind that the aircraft may have already commenced descent before they advise ATC.

General broadcast.
    Followed by traffic information.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Noxegon wrote: »

An automatic recording linked to the seat belt light makes sense. It's no more than an audible version of a visual signal, and is telling passengers to do something.

An automatic warning designed to allay passengers fears, as opposed to telling them to do something, is quite different though. I could be wrong of course, but I'd be surprised if that exists. I don't see the point of it and it would be hard to get the information 100% accurate. I'd question as well how much reassurance you would get from an automatic recording as opposed to a specific message from the flight crew, and we know they are probably too busy to give one.

Bear in mind that the aircraft may have already commenced descent before they advise ATC.

General broadcast.
    Followed by traffic information.

While they may not have had chance/time to talk to ATC, there is a good chance that they will have changed the transponder code, that's a very quick and easy action, and it means every station in the area that monitors transponder codes will be aware that the aircraft has a problem, so they can respond accordingly, before the crew gets to talk to the specific ATC centre that they are currently assigned to and give the specific details and reasons for the emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

TCAS would warn of anything imminent anyway?

TCAS would indeed, but the issue there is that the TCAS resolution might be to stop the descent, which could be problematic if they are in a full on high speed descent, TCAS will not be aware of that special situation, and the conflicting aircraft may also not be aware of it either, and there's very little time to react to a TCAS command. The probable outcome is that the descending aircraft may have to make other changes (heading) to ensure that the conflict is resolved.

Once ATC are in the loop, either from contact with the emergency aircraft, or as a result of seeing an emergency squawk, they will be moving aircraft out of the way as a matter of urgency, even if they are not in communication with the emergency flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very good.

Advertisement