Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Rib-Bed/RocknRoll bed - and SQI

• 14-07-2018 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all...

Camper newbie here, considering his first conversion. I'm at the homework stage... and have learned lots from this forum and the web. I've a quick question - and hope you can help...

As I'm going to be doing this on a budget, I'm considering a DIY seat/bed. Folded sections probably steel, on a timber base. At least that's the thought.

My wife and I have no kids - and as this would prob be a T5 conversion, there will be just the two of us, so no need for 2 proper, belted (expensive) seats. This DIY seat/bed would be just for when stationary. Eating and sleeping.

Has anyone successfully had one signed off by an SQI? What, if any, proactive measures should I take?

Does it have to be fixed/bolted in a certain way? The revenue description is a tad vague... "This equipment must be rigidly fixed to the living compartment"

Would appreciate any help!
    TIA
    Hooked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

It would need to be securely fastened for safety in the event of a collision. I wouldnt rely on woodscrews into the floor or anything like that. Its not much extra work and only a couple of euros to bolt through the floor with 8.8 bolts and speader plates below and would be easier for the sqi to sign off on. Lots of factory built campers have travelling and non travelling seats so diy non travelling seats shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Hooked

It would need to be securely fastened for safety in the event of a collision. I wouldnt rely on woodscrews into the floor or anything like that. Its not much extra work and only a couple of euros to bolt through the floor with 8.8 bolts and speader plates below and would be easier for the sqi to sign off on. Lots of factory built campers have travelling and non travelling seats so diy non travelling seats shouldn't be an issue.

Many thanks! Bolts through the floor it is!!!

Advertisement