Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student allegedly caught masturbating in public facing trial

• 14-07-2018 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

So a Sudanese national was masturbating in Dublin City centre at 1am and was caught by Gardai. No other members of the public were there at the time.

His name and picture is now all over the papers.

On the assumption he was drunk and immature and he's not some sort of sex pest or danger to the public, it's a significant punishment being publicised and embarrassed.

Sometimes anonymity might be appropriate as the publicity of the crime outweighs the impact of any legal punishment.

Kinda feel bad for the guy who possibly did something really stupid and now has to face a) humiliation and b) possible outcasting on basis he might be some sort of sexual predator.

Male suicide such a serious issue in this country. Social media trials can be so damning against men as we seen this year. Really think his name and picture should not be there for the country to see and rights of anonymity should be explored.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

No other members of the public were around?

Surely an official warning would have sufficed so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

too many nurofens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

elbyrneo wrote: »
    So a Sudanese national was masturbating in Dublin City centre at 1am and was caught by Gardai. No other members of the public were there at the time.

His name and picture is now all over the papers.

On the assumption he was drunk and immature and he's not some sort of sex pest or danger to the public, it's a significant punishment being publicised and embarrassed.

Sometimes anonymity might be appropriate as the publicity of the crime outweighs the impact of any legal punishment.

Kinda feel bad for the guy who possibly did something really stupid and now has to face a) humiliation and b) possible outcasting on basis he might be some sort of sexual predator.

Male suicide such a serious issue in this country. Social media trials can be so damning against men as we seen this year. Really think his name and picture should not be there for the country to see and rights of anonymity should be explored.

Did you ever enter a long jump competition?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

What would happen to an Irish chap who did that in khartoum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

judeboy101 wrote: »
    What would happen to an Irish chap who did that in khartoum?

A sandy bollocks for starters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

too many nurofens?

Are you referring to the film "Shakes on a plane"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 lukasgrenwald

Christ, would they not give him a caution?

I thought these draconian sex laws were only prevalent in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

The jury need to have a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

An auld wan passing by nearly got a stroke ........ But she wasn't quick enough.

• Advertisement

Christ, would they not give him a caution?

I thought these draconian sex laws were prevalent in the US

Red it again, only with an Irish guy and you would want him tarred and feathered and on the sexual offenders register before monday.

It might be acceptable in the Sudan/Somalia/Ethopia or some other part of Africa but it is not acceptable here.
    Send him somewhere where it is acceptable behaviour. If you are old enough to get liquor and beat one out, news flash!!! You arent a kid anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s an odd one alright. I’ve seen some of the locals sh1t on the streets with no repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

No other members of the public were around?

Surely an official warning would have sufficed so.

Gardai are members of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So no male alleged criminal should ever be named in case they commit suicide?

Also
    However, Judge Gibbons held that the case was too serious and should go before the circuit court, which can impose a sentence of up to two years for the offence

Sounds like there might be more to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Darrell Polite Crown

Cant wait for Neill Prenderville to discuss it on his show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Brothers in Arms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

It does seem a very harsh reaction, he cannot have been compos mentis at the time, surely there could be some sort of official response that does not involve being on the front of the papers, and a court case. No one was there to be harmed, so that cannot be the justification, must say I feel sorry for him. What a blight on a life for one mad mistake.

Do you think it will be a hands on interview? You know it will be all over the radio? ..... and the microphone, table and the ceiling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So no male alleged criminal should ever be named in case they commit suicide?

I agree, tis a fair leap by the OP even trying to make that association in the first place.

Sounds like there might be more to it

Ahh it doesn't really, just sounds like the Judge is of the opinion that a potential maximum sentence of six months would be too lenient is all.

There's another way though OP you could look at the publicising of this case and that is to draw attention to this guys plight. The media could be trying to persuade the public that the potential sentence in this case is too severe for the crime committed and that the lad is a victim of a grave injustice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Malayalam wrote: »
    he cannot have been compos mentis at the time.

Thats quite a big assumption to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Allinall wrote: »
    Gardai are members of the public.

He wasn't deliberately masturbating in front of people is the point.

Gardai found him masturbating on his own.

A charge for something like that is absurd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Isnt he yer man who was at it regularly on the luas and bus around the city center ,

good to see he has been identified and prosecuted

obviously not a one of isolated incident

not sue what relevance his nationality has apart from social norms in his country of origin , never heard of a Sudanese student in Ireland before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

He wasn't deliberately masturbating in front of people is the point.

Gardai found him masturbating on his own.

A charge for something like that is absurd.

In a public place.

Malayalam wrote: »
    It does seem a very harsh reaction, he cannot have been compos mentis at the time, surely there could be some sort of official response that does not involve being on the front of the papers, and a court case. No one was there to be harmed, so that cannot be the justification, must say I feel sorry for him. What a blight on a life for one mad mistake.

We used to have Lady Judge down arounds my parts as a judge. Her husband was an alcoholic and used to beat her and her son was killed by drunk driver.

Now it was bad if you were infront of her for any similar crime, but you stayed quiet you were doing well. But if you blamed it on the drink, she would really throw the book at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Isnt he yer man who was at it regularly on the luas and bus around the city center ,

good to see he has been identified and prosecuted

obviously not a one of isolated incident

not sue what relevance his nationality has apart from social norms in his country of origin , never heard of a Sudanese student in Ireland before

That gives it more context, if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Disgusting act, he should be shamed for it.

mynamejeff wrote: »

Most likely one of the "children" from Calais.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭gw80

And f€%&ed back to sudan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Stupid maybe but not disgusting and he shouldn't be shamed for it. We all do it, just not in public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Yep for sure. Maybe put in stocks and pelted with rotten vegetables too. That would surely be the only reasonable reaction from a mature siciety

Relevant section under which the lad was charged -

(2) A person who, in a public place, engages in—

(a) sexual intercourse,

(b) an act of buggery, or

(c) an act of masturbation,

is guilty of an offence.

(3) A person who intentionally engages in offensive conduct of a sexual nature is guilty of an offence.

(4) Where a member of the Garda Síochána, with reasonable cause, suspects that a person is committing or has committed an offence under this section, the member may arrest such person without warrant.

(5) A person found guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a class D fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a class C fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years, or both.

Source: Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I've taken Nurofen+ loads of times and I've never been caught masturbating in public. Apart from that one time, but, you see, what happened was, a bee went down the front of my trousers and started stinging me, which caused my penis to swell up, so I had to pull my trousers down and beat it with my hand until the bee flew away. And then I sneezed because I'm allergic to bees and several arcs of what looked like reproductive mucus shot out of my nose, landed on the shaft and flew across the street. It was very embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't feel sorry for him, how could you have so little self restraint that you just need to masturbate in a public space? Couldn't possibly have waited till he got home? I'm also 22 and I don't think I know any 22 year olds who are so immature even when drunk to think thats okay thing to do

Synge Street, is a 30 second walk off camden street, which would presumably be packed at 1am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seems a bit of a an over reaction.
    On the other hand an African national was convicted yesterday in Dublin of knowingly spreading hiv to up to 7 women. U probably didn't get to hear about it as for some reason it didn't get much airtime. A life sentence is required judge, ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I think he had to be prosecuted.

The last thing anyone wants is this to become an accepted norm, especially with black guys.

No point making others feel needlessly inadequate.

• Advertisement

Yep for sure. Maybe put in stocks and pelted with rotten vegetables too. That would surely be the only reasonable reaction from a mature siciety

Seems to be the only way they will learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Its not really an action that a mature society would condone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Seems to be the only way they will learn.

Who is "they"?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Who is "they"?

People masturbating in public. Are you defending his actions and why? Do you think it is ok to have a peddle in public?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 lukasgrenwald

I've taken Nurofen+ loads of times and I've never been caught masturbating in public. Apart from that one time, but, you see, what happened was, a bee went down the front of my trousers and started stinging me, which caused my penis to swell up, so I had to pull my trousers down and beat it with my hand until the bee flew away. And then I sneezed because I'm allergic to bees and several arcs of what looked like reproductive mucus shot out of my nose, landed on the shaft and flew across the street. It was very embarrassing.

Didn't read the article, did he take codeine? I'm pretty damn sure codeine doesn't do this. Only makes you loopy.

Amphetamines (crystal meth, ADHD meds) would most likely cause an increased sex drive, not opiates.

• Advertisement

Who is "they"?

People who break the law is whom I assume is being referred to there. That used to be their punishment - stocks in the public square and pelted with rotten fruit and vegetables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Someone **** in public most definitely should be prosecuted.

Clamp down on this behaviour and it lessens the chance of the offender graduating to more serious offences.

People masturbating in public.

...should be put in stocks and pelted? Really?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Someone **** in public most definitely should be prosecuted.

Clamp down on this behaviour and it lessens the chance of the offender graduating to more serious offences.

It's an odd one. Don't know enough of law to be able to weigh why the district court refused jurisdiction, or enough of the circumstances in which yer man was found. Certainly he's going to get some form of sanction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It’s an odd one alright. I’ve seen some of the locals sh1t on the streets with no repercussions.

It's not illegal to **** on the street.

Not really sure why it should be made public. The **** and the court case I mean.

...should be put in stocks and pelted? Really?

Cost effect to the tax payer!!!! Cos the other way of puting them up in the 'Joy sure aint working? Actually he is a sex offender so Wheatfield then.

If I didnt have to deal with the shame of prison and the shame on my family, I would be there finishing my PhD at the taxpayers expense. Three square meals, TV in my room , Gym, access to medicine, dentistry.......... the list do be goin' and on and on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Didn't read the article, did he take codeine? I'm pretty damn sure codeine doesn't do this. Only makes you loopy.

Amphetamines (crystal meth, ADHD meds) would most likely cause an increased sex drive, not opiates.

No, it was a radio presenter from Cork who took codeine, which made him pull the mickey off himself on a flight.

Cost effect to the tax payer!!!! Cos the other way of puting them up in the 'Joy sure aint working? Actually he is a sex offender so Wheatfield then.

So all those threads you were going on about sharia law, you were actually getting a deep seated admiration of it....gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Who is "they"?

:rolleyes: gotta love the virtue signalling

<snip> he should certainly be prosecuted and if found guilty and here on a visa, deported. No reason the Irish taxpayer should pay to imprison him

Our country, our rules. Come here and adapt, or go elsewhere. Skin colour and a sad story is no excuse, no more than it would be acceptable if this story involved a white, Irish lad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement