Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on these cars please

• 14-07-2018 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Hi All, Need to change as my 2004 Corolla as its on its last legs - advanced corrosion; gearbox bearing noisy; bad cracks on roof; needs tyres etc. - not worth fixing up.

I really want to get something locally if at all possible so limited to the Munster region excluding Waterford.

For insurance I want to go up in the years - up to 2008 at oldest and ideally reasonable motor tax. Doing at least 20k mile p.a. so coupled with the motor tax also for post 2008 a diesel probably makes the most sense. Reliability is important to me - was thinking Toyota/ Honda/ Mazda/ VW/ Skoda are the most apparent choices. From a practicality point of view a hatchback would be ideal but with my absolute max budget of €4,500 they are limited so h/b ideally but also saloon - no smaller than Corolla/ Golf and would have to be 4/5 door.

Was looking at a few and would be interested in getting opinions on them;

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-2009-nct-january-2020/19224589
    I know very little about VW. I do know that some of the diesel engines in this model Passat are good and others not great. Which would this one fall under or how could I tell from viewing the car? I rang the seller and he seems genuine enough on the phone, he deals in cars. I have arranged to view it tomorrow? I overlooked asking him about timing belt - would it be due soon if at 80k miles? Anything else to look out for when viewing?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-toyota-avensis-diesel/19106029
    Avensis- Mileage a bit on the high side for my liking but 6 previous owners; tinted windows and fake aerial putting me off for some reason. However, seems to look clean and on for good money. Opinions sought please.

Also, if anybody has any additional suggestions of suitable cars they would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Passat is a UK import and is lower spec than an Irish Highline model, those leather seats on that model were aftermarket fitted by UK dealers are were very low quality. Also there is no mention of service history in the advert, with that claimed low mileage I'd be expecting at least a UK service history up to the point it was imported into Ireland. I'd be doing a history check on the car including getting the old UK reg from the log book and do a UK history and MOT check to verify the mileage. That Passat also has the newer CR TDi engine which didn't suffer from the same problems as the previous PD engine. The CR engine can suffer from failing EGR valves though along with the air conditioning compressor, both are pricey enough to replace.

The Avensis has a bit of mileage on it but that wouldn't necessarily worry me outside of normal wear and tear, however it has a tow hitch on it so get the car up on a ramp and make sure to examine the rear underneath for signs of damage or excessive wear to indicate it might have had a hard life pulling heavy trailers. Also the seller has those paper mats on the floor that you usually see dealers with so it's possible that he trades in cars. If enquiring ask about the car for sale rather than mentioning specifically the Avensis for sale. If he asks you which model then you know he is a dealer of sorts. As with both cars make sure the clutch isn't heavy or slipping and no vibration from the flywheel.

To add I'd look at the Ford Mondeo also:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/ford-mondeo-mondeo-1-8-tdcizetec-5-speed-5/19227756

With the 1.8 TDCi just make sure the timing belt has been change recently, they use a wet belt setup which is known for snapping prematurely. It costs about €700 to replace so use that as an negotiation tool or budget to replace it. Other than they like flywheels a bit more regularly than normal they are a fairly old school solid engine.

Below is a 2.0 TDCi:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-ford-mondeo-2-0-tdci-titanium-140-bhp-6-speed/18929428

Doesn't have a wet belt setup like the 1.8 TDCi nor does it go through flywheels as frequently. They can give injector problems but overall they are very solid and have the advantage of being 6 speed.

Personally I'd probably take either of those Mondeos over the Passat and Avensis you were interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tax is up on the Passat nearly a year, what has it been doing in that time, if it's been on the road I can imagine it is maintained to zero standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I would avoid one of those Passats like the plague if you are looking for any form or reliability. They are comfortable and good looking but are riddled with common faults, none of which are particularly cheap fixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks all, bazz26 I liked the look of that 2.0 TDCI you posted. Rang it and although it mentions in the ad that its NCT'd to 05/2020 in reality its not tested at all. Rather they will book the NCT and pay for it when they sell it to you - you take it for the NCT then and if it fails for anything you take it back to them and they will rectify... I'm not fussed on that.
    Thanks for posting it and the other also though.

What are these like
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-ford-focus-1-6-tdci-zetec/19234974?campaign=8

Mileage putting me off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Thanks all, bazz26 I liked the look of that 2.0 TDCI you posted. Rang it and although it mentions in the ad that its NCT'd to 05/2020 in reality its not tested at all. Rather they will book the NCT and pay for it when they sell it to you - you take it for the NCT then and if it fails for anything you take it back to them and they will rectify... I'm not fussed on that.

What are these like
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2009-ford-focus-1-6-tdci-zetec/19234974?campaign=8

Don't bother with it then, they can go and do you know what.

Plenty of cars within your budget.

As for sellers lying about basics, you can only imagine what else they lie about when you give them your money.

A bit bland looking but I'm getting too old to be worrying about things like that... Would this be worth a look?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i30-2009-crdi/19140667?campaign=8

What are these like

That's a load of cobblers from them imo. If they are confident the car they are selling is sound and will pass the NCT then they should have no problem putting it through the NCT as part of the sale. Getting the buyer to test it after buying and then come back to them to fix problems just opens the door for them to ignore you until you get fed up bugging them or tell you the warranty doesn't actually cover the fix.

And those 1.6 TDCi engines have very patchy reliability, I'd look at something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

As Bazz mentions I don't think you can go wrong with a 2l Mondeo. My pal has 2 of them and is very happy with them, his wife drives one and he the other. Bar some minor electrical gremlins they have been perfect cars. I wouldn't entertain a 1.8 as the timing belt set up is a mess along with exceptionally expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

Hi All, Need to change as my 2004 Corolla as its on its last legs - advanced corrosion; gearbox bearing noisy; bad cracks on roof; needs tyres etc. - not worth fixing up.

I really want to get something locally if at all possible so limited to the Munster region excluding Waterford.

For insurance I want to go up in the years - up to 2008 at oldest and ideally reasonable motor tax. Doing at least 20k mile p.a. so coupled with the motor tax also for post 2008 a diesel probably makes the most sense. Reliability is important to me - was thinking Toyota/ Honda/ Mazda/ VW/ Skoda are the most apparent choices. From a practicality point of view a hatchback would be ideal but with my absolute max budget of €4,500 they are limited so h/b ideally but also saloon - no smaller than Corolla/ Golf and would have to be 4/5 door.

Was looking at a few and would be interested in getting opinions on them;

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-2009-nct-january-2020/19224589
    I know very little about VW. I do know that some of the diesel engines in this model Passat are good and others not great. Which would this one fall under or how could I tell from viewing the car? I rang the seller and he seems genuine enough on the phone, he deals in cars. I have arranged to view it tomorrow? I overlooked asking him about timing belt - would it be due soon if at 80k miles? Anything else to look out for when viewing?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-toyota-avensis-diesel/19106029
    Avensis- Mileage a bit on the high side for my liking but 6 previous owners; tinted windows and fake aerial putting me off for some reason. However, seems to look clean and on for good money. Opinions sought please.

Also, if anybody has any additional suggestions of suitable cars they would be greatly appreciated

The Passat is well clocked, it was registered in irl jan 14 but had 110,000 miles in uk in May 13 according to Motorcheck.ie.... they do good 3 Reg no full checks deal on their website at the minute, I used them when I was changing my jeep recently and the first 3 I checked 2 were uk imports, 2were clocked and 1 was cat s write off in uk, best money I ever spent

• Advertisement

^ Thanks Mintoe, did you use one of your checks on the Passat?... that was very decent of you. He was actually to ring me back to confirm a few questions I had asked him about the car but he never did. Just as well and thanks Mintoe, I dodged a bullet there. For peace of mind I will definitely get a motor check done on any car before committing to buying - makes sense to buy the bundle.

Would this be worth a look?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-v-w-passat-1-6-tdi-comfort-nct-07-20-tax-9-18/19295979

Are these 1.6 TDI Passats just as troublesome as earlier models

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We had an A3 with that engine. EGR valve had to be replaced as is normal enough and not the cheapest. Fine engine but I would think a tad underpowered given the size of the car.

BorneTobyWilde that BMW would be way outside my max budget of €4,500 mentioned but thanks for suggestion.

James Bond Junior, I would get over EGR valve as it is a wear and tear item and not the worst thing that can go wrong either to be fair. How was reliability of the mechanicals besides? Was there a lot of mileage put up on the car in your ownership to make a good judgement. To be honest the performance is not a major concern. Most of the time I will only be carrying myself - as long as it will eventually get up to 120 kph on motorway.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/10-golf-diesel-tax-11-18-nct-04-20-2-keys/19293131

Another 1.6 VW TDI.

Mileage high but if FSH checks out - how often should these be serviced?

BorneTobyWilde that BMW would be way outside my max budget of €4,500 mentioned but thanks for suggestion.

James Bond Junior, I would get over EGR valve as it is a wear and tear item and not the worst thing that can go wrong either to be fair. How was reliability of the mechanicals besides? Was there a lot of mileage put up on the car in your ownership to make a good judgement. To be honest the performance is not a major concern. Most of the time I will only be carrying myself - as long as it will eventually get up to 120 kph on motorway.

We bought it at a year old with tiny miles. Bar the EGR it was fine, traded 3 years later against a 1 series with about 40k miles racked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Mintoe

^ Thanks Mintoe, did you use one of your checks on the Passat?... that was very decent of you. He was actually to ring me back to confirm a few questions I had asked him about the car but he never did. Just as well and thanks Mintoe, I dodged a bullet there. For peace of mind I will definitely get a motor check done on any car before committing to buying - makes sense to buy the bundle.

Yeah but I’d bought a2nd bundle and had 1 left when I bought my jeep. They saved me making a few big costly mistakes so if the 1 had left helps someone else instead of me just forgetting about it and never using it happy days. Best of luck and hopefully you find a decent motor soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

We had the 1.6 trendline golf and the previous 1.9 mark v comfort line. The 1.6 was quieter and slightly easier on diesel. But the 1.9 was the nicer drive it had more poke. There is the odd 09 1.9tdi. Might be worth looking to see if the fall in budget. The corolla is far cleaner than the original post avensis,which appears to have mould on passenger dash board.

Just to provide all with an update, I bought a 2009 Toyota Auris 1.4 petrol.
    Dealt with a few dodgy characters on the side of the road selling junk before I bought the Auris. What I will say from my experience now is that a genuine Irish car is worth its weight in gold even if generally the specs don't be as high when compared to the amount of tat imported from England, falling apart underneath with rust.
    There are 110k KM on the Auris and it is tested to 03/19; tyres are all pretty decent and the car is spotless. One thing is though that it seems to be an absolute pig on petrol. In fact I would estimate it is using up to 50% more than my high mileage 2004 Corolla 5dr (which has the same engine I believe). Not sure if it should be using that much extra fuel? Also nothing near as peppy as the Corolla. Leads me to believe there may be a misfire in one cylinder maybe or something causing an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sounds like it needs a very good service. It will be a bit heavier on fuel as it's a heavy car.

Advertisement