Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccos pls: women’s city commuter bike

Options
  • 14-07-2018 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I’m just getting back to cycling to work after 5 years. My commute is ~25 mins, either gradually down / up hill or a quick steep-ish descent/ ascent and then flat the rest of the way. Busy city Centre streets. I was never the strongest cyclist, and need something I’m not likely to wobble on when buses and trucks go whooshing past me.

I’m looking for a women’s bike, step-trough frame, with a front basket and ideally that looks ‘cute’ (yes, vanity will be the death of me) - I like the Dutch style, but don’t want something too crazily heavy.

I’m thinking a Giant / Liv Flourish 1 or 3. Looked at a Gazelle but to get dual brakes and 7 gears it’d be getting heavy.

Any other suggestions or advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hi folks, I’m just getting back to cycling to work after 5 years. My commute is ~25 mins, either gradually down / up hill or a quick steep-ish descent/ ascent and then flat the rest of the way. Busy city Centre streets. I was never the strongest cyclist, and need something I’m not likely to wobble on when buses and trucks go whooshing past me.

I’m looking for a women’s bike, step-trough frame, with a front basket and ideally that looks ‘cute’ (yes, vanity will be the death of me) - I like the Dutch style, but don’t want something too crazily heavy.

I’m thinking a Giant / Liv Flourish 1 or 3. Looked at a Gazelle but to get dual brakes and 7 gears it’d be getting heavy.

Any other suggestions or advice?

I'm also looking for a new bike because I've outgrown my previous Trek Hybrid and Im looking to step up to a road bike.

I was in Giant store and saw the Flourish bikes. There was a lady looking at them.

One thing struck me is that you might outgrow this very quickly if you were anyway fit so make sure it's what you want.

I'm no expert and I'm hoping to get some advice here myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Interestingly my road bike is off the road awaiting several repairs and I'm on a borrowed mountain bike for the last couple of months. I am flying along on the MTB v the road bike for my commute because:

1. The gear ratio is much better (for me)

2. The suspension means i can fly over potholes /manhole covers and speed around roundabouts v the road bike where you need to be more cautious for fear of slipping on the narrow tyres/fragile bike

3. I feel more secure and sturdy on the MTB

If I was buying again for commuting I'd look at something similar to the MTB rather than the road bike.

Just my tuppence worth but I'd look at other options for commuting rather than necessarily going for the road bike anewme.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Thanks both. I definitely don’t think I’d feel ‘solid’ enough on a road bike, per those manhole covers and whooshing buses etc; reckon I need the stability of wider tyres. Am not particularly fit either; hoping this will improve obvs, but this is a step towards it rather than a result! My gut still says a hybrid would be best for my sort of commute...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks both. I definitely don’t think I’d feel ‘solid’ enough on a road bike, per those manhole covers and whooshing buses etc; reckon I need the stability of wider tyres. Am not particularly fit either; hoping this will improve obvs, but this is a step towards it rather than a result! My gut still says a hybrid would be best for my sort of commute...?!

Fair play.

There’s too many choices.

I loved my hybrid but I outgrew it very quickly so I’m now looking for something that will last me a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I just had a look at the Live Flourish. Obviously each to their own but you don't need to restrict yourself to something like that (unless of course it's what you absolutely want in which case, go for it!). Fitness will come quickly once you're cycling every day. I guess it depends on what you ultimately want - I prefer to get from A to B as quickly as I can but I know that's not everyone's goal and lots of people prefer to meander along peacefully. A hybrid / flat bar might be a good option to look at though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement