Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in an estate...

Options
  • 14-07-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi there,

Currently selling our house which is on a main road and hoping to buy in west dublin in a housing estate.

We've 2 kids under 10, just like the idea of them being able to go out kicking a ball , go on bikes etc.

For people who live in estates, what tips do you have? Is it nice being on a green, or can it be annoying in summer? Would a cul de sac type rd be better?

Anything else you can advise?

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Personally would never buy on the green area. There will always be the antisocial behaviour even in well healed areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

I live in front of a large green and there's kids out playing all day during the summer. I don't find it annoying at all, can hardly hear them even with the windows open. They play all sorts of sports (football, hurling, frisbee, chasing, etc..)A cul de sac might be more annoying or noisier with bouncing balls, etc echoing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

jc11 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Currently selling our house which is on a main road and hoping to buy in west dublin in a housing estate.

We've 2 kids under 10, just like the idea of them being able to go out kicking a ball , go on bikes etc.

For people who live in estates, what tips do you have? Is it nice being on a green, or can it be annoying in summer? Would a cul de sac type rd be better?

Thks
    We're in a cul de sac ,and until recently between teens gathering,cars parked indiscriminately,footballs being banged for hours a nightmare(8 ft wall , surrounded by house's,so noise was doubled,so for nigh on 9 years it was ****e(huge green area less than 30 metre's away)if I was you I'd look for a normal area, definitely not a dead end /cul de sac, really do your homework ref nearby neighbours etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi there,

Thks
    We're in a cul de sac ,and until recently between teens gathering,cars parked indiscriminately,footballs being banged for hours a nightmare(8 ft wall , surrounded by house's,so noise was doubled,so for nigh on 9 years it was ****e(huge green area less than 30 metre's away)if I was you I'd look for a normal area, definitely not a dead end /cul de sac, really do your homework ref nearby neighbours etc yes correct

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Personally would never buy on the green area. There will always be the antisocial behaviour even in well healed areas.

There's no antisocial behavior on the greens or parks where I live (which happens to be a 'well healed' part of West Dublin). Depends on the area I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

Thanks all, food for thought there.. never thought of the noise levels in cul de sac..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Living in front of greens is great. The kids will be out playing there from a young age and it’s easy to keep an eye on them

Cul de sacs are good because there’s less traffic. But while they are young you’ll be left bringbjng them around to the green and keeping an eye on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Don't buy a corner house, if possible. Kids tend to gather at corners, and corner houses often have long, low, curved front walls, at ideal sitting height. There is also a very strong possibility of kids kicking footballs against your tall side wall for hours when the weather is good. Likewise buying a house where the back or side wall directly borders a green area, it WILL be very noisy when the youngsters are out playing.

Ideal house in an estate would be midway along the road, semi-d with side access, with off-street parking, within sight of a green area, as you have kids who would use it for play. (facing a green area would be ok I think, as long as the houses are set back from it a little to keep the noise down, if that would bother you). Obviously try to scope the area out at different times of the week/day/night, and try to get a feel for what the neighbours are like and what the general upkeep of the estate is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A corner site often has the biggest garden. I wouldn’t avoid them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thanks all, food for thought there.. never thought of the noise levels in cul de sac..

Plus parking in a cul de sac. Its a nightmare now with almost every home having 2 cars . Getting to the stage now that I nearly have to park a couple of hundred yards away when Im visiting my mother with cars and vans doubled parked on footpaths etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I’m on a green and I love it. I’ve a lovely view out the front instead of some houses in the estate which just look at other houses.the kids playing aren’t any sort of a nuisance and in fact it’s nice to see them out playing football and hurling on the grass than in on PlayStations. Also parents know where they are when they are on the green.
    Only downside to being on the green is litter which is a pity. Kids tend to leave it around after they’ve been playing. The residents association tend to send out reminders about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not a cul-de-sac; cars will always seem to fly by. Parking will be an issue.

Cul-de-sacs; kids will play on the road, and parking can be an issue.

Corner house; can have kids sitting on the wall, put a higher wall, and/or prickly bush means they won't. Often have larger gardens; during the boom years, you'd often see people building a small house in their large corner garden.

=-=

I lived in a cul-de-sac, and liked it. No cars unless they lived there, and although parking was an issue, it'll be an issue in any estate where the kids are 18 and above.

One thing I'll say is that to see if there's a path at the top of the road leading to another estate. These "rat run" roads will get the most anti-social activities, as kids with no association passing through the cul-de-sac to get to anther estate.

=-=

TBH, live on a road that are the same age, or 1/2 year difference to at at least one of your kids. Ask the neighbours when you have 2 or 3 houses in mind, and ask about the ages of kids nearby, mentioning the age of your kids.

Advertisement