Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It'll cost upto 170 per month to watch the premier, champions & Europa league

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Won't cost me anything. Couldn't be ar5ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sexmag wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/football-fans-face-paying-over-100-a-month-to-watch-games-37118937.html

This will do nothing but make people go to the pub or illegally stream it.

Usual fake news article from them, TV3 don't even have the rights to Euro 2020 games, RTE do.

The new channel will show hundreds of Champions League, Europa League and Euro 2020 international qualifiers. Virgin Media wants to boost its television subscriber base of about 270,000 homes and get customers from rivals Sky, Vodafone and Eir. Virgin’s network is currently available to just under 900,000 homes.

IRELAND’S QUALIFIERS FOR Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022 will be broadcast exclusively on RT

http://www.the42.ie/rte-soccer-euro-2020-3560988-Aug2017/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Russia Today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're a Virgin Media TV customer, its still free.

Also, plenty of ways of circumventing the charge outside of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No one is going to sign up to this package unless they really can't think of something called the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Less of a shite I could not give

If the soccerball was on out in me garden, I'd close the curtains.

(And have the secret service shoot the bastards of course)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just need to point your dish at different satellites ;)

Can't stop the signal, Mal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/football-fans-face-paying-over-100-a-month-to-watch-games-37118937.html

Or simply not watch it, the preferred option. Pretty sure it's not obligatory to watch grown men fall down writhing in agony when the nasty men in the other colored jerseys are mean to them. HTFU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

My heart bleeds for em, the money they ll lose from people streaming it! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Bill Shankly quote. Closet fan?

Got rid of Sky Sports years ago. Soccerball is pricing itself into oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Save some money by giving a couple of young lads a fiver each to go home with you and kick a ball around your sitting room while you watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Do RTE still show the highlights on Saturday evening or is that long gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Luckily the Government has announced plans to increase welfare payments to cover this so long term layabouts won't have to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What's a premier champions europa league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's a premier champions europa league?

Around €170

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I dare someone to make up the €170. Of course we don't know yet how much Eleven Sports will be. We also don't know about the 33 games at 3pm on Saturday and the other 20 games but hey the Irish Independent are experts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I dare someone to make up the €170. Of course we don't know yet how much Eleven Sports will be. We also don't know about the 33 games at 3pm on Saturday and the other 20 games but hey the Irish Independent are experts.

I’m gonna guess it includes your internet and tv package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Around €170

Have you tried ebay for a second hand one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Like one of those pathetic articles about the cost of buying new jerseys for kids.

None of this is compulsory or anyway important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

In this day & age I can’t understand why people are still paying for sky, or any other tv sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

rushfan wrote: »
    So effectively everything is on demand then?

Not entirely, live TV is live TV, but like iplayer/3 player etc etc, once it's been initially aired, it's there to view again anytime you want. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Yep ...I wouldn't get out if bed to watch a load of dumbasses kick a leather ball....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Premier League not allowing UK or Irish TV stations to show saturday 3pm games just plays in to the hands of the illegal stream providers. If you are in Germany, France or Spain you can watch pretty much every single 3pm game, why Ireland is lumped in to the UK blackout is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Thread title altered cause it was messing up for people on mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It'll cost me feck all because I don't watch that comical act that you lot call football. Bunch of grown men rolling on the floor of a leaf hits them. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    In this day & age I can’t understand why people are still paying for sky, or any other tv sub.

The price I pay seems ok as it's split between 3 people but if your paying on your own it's a waste. I was going to say with streaming sometimes the quality drops, also I like HD particularly if your watching top quality tv like Game of thrones... and then I thought about it and done the maths. yep Im a mug, paying way to much all so that players can earn 500 grand a week in wages and more in endorsements.. and then regularly these players don't even put in a good performance. I think I would be able to live without super Sunday of Watford v West ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

From the article
    Noel O’Connor of the Manchester City Supporters’ Club in Dublin said many fans would choose to go to the pubs to watch Champions League matches.

Yes, because sitting in a pub for a couple of hours will not cost anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Won't cost me a penny.

My team are in neither the premier league, champions league nor the europa league.

And there's this new thing called going to matches. A novel way of seeing your team play

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In fairness they have great pundits on tv3, well worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem is that competition isn't always better.

Back in the day you paid for Sky Sports and you got every match that was on for about 16 quid extra. That was good value.

Then it was decided that a monopoly wasn't healthy and so we got competition and the companies bidding against each other and the EPL demanding more for rights and now we have a position where you need at least 2 seperate subs plus add ons for HD if you want the "full experience" at 3/4 times the price.

It's no wonder subs are down. 70/80 quid plus is a ridiculous amount of money every month to watch generally crap matches anyway.

I'd consider a "football sub" where you can watch all the matches that are on regardless of the channel but with none of the other crap they insist on you paying for as well but that's still years away I think

In the meantime I have my iptv sub and while not perfect, it more than meets my needs for the few matches I watch every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The Premier League not allowing UK or Irish TV stations to show saturday 3pm games just plays in to the hands of the illegal stream providers. If you are in Germany, France or Spain you can watch pretty much every single 3pm game, why Ireland is lumped in to the UK blackout is beyond me.

Not really most EU countries can only show one 3pm game live but can show the rest full later. This was the premier leagues way to try and cut down on illegal streams a s those trying to get EU tv packages. Countries outside the EU can show all 3pm games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

All free on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

padd b1975 wrote: »
    All free on the radio.

Yeah but the picture is crap...not HD:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

[QUOTE=Fieldog;107521367

I'd gladly pay a yearly fee for my football if I could pay for my team alone and cut the ****e I'm not going to watch...[/QUOTE]

I'm in the happy position where I can do this. Season ticket fo Richmond Park. And I get to be there as well. Sorted:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A lot of people will pay it as they always have and a slight increase won't put them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Bill Shankly quote. Closet fan?

Got rid of Sky Sports years ago. Soccerball is pricing itself into oblivion.

Not really.

Prefer wardrobes meself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The Premiership/Sky/BT are really missing a trick by not showing every game involving the top teams. It won't affect attendances as all the tops sell out practically every game, so there is no logical reason to not show all the big teams.

I have SkyGo with Sky Sports because my dad has an account with them. But I end up streaming more games than watching in a 'legit' way. Barring having otherwise commitments, I want to watch every Liverpool game live, and because of the beauty of the internet I can, so that's what I do.

sugarman wrote: »
    I pay €130 a year for a season ticket and actually go to games

Match starts in 95 minutes. Where you sitting?

I'm no fan of Paul Pogba. However, he's had a good game today.

Is it true that Dunphy said he'd retire from Punditry if Paul Pogba won a world cup medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The Premiership/Sky/BT are really missing a trick by not showing every game involving the top teams. It won't affect attendances as all the tops sell out practically every game, so there is no logical reason to not show all the big teams.

I have SkyGo with Sky Sports because my dad has an account with them. But I end up streaming more games than watching in a 'legit' way. Barring having otherwise commitments, I want to watch every Liverpool game live, and because of the beauty of the internet I can, so that's what I do.

Broadcasting all of the games is out of the Premier League's, Sky's and BT's. It's the F.A. who imposed to Saturday 3pm blackout in the 1960s and they did so to protect attendances for lower league clubs after some lobbying from then-Burnley F.C. Chairman Bob Lord.

Mod-thread getting locked and deleted so I can clean it up. NO LINKING TO ILLEGAL STREAMS ON BOARDS.

Mod- Thread reopened. I've deleted all posts pertaining to illegal streaming. I'm willing to leave it at that for now(It is a banable offence)*.

Any future posts of that nature will be actioned hard by us the mods in After Hours and maybe even the admins site wide if they haven't been fed and are in a mood.

https://www.boards.ie/content/terms?site=desktop
    5. What you agree to when joining boards.ie
    post Material that promotes or encourages illegal activity or facilitates or encourages any violation of these Terms of Use
    post Material that infringes any patent, trade mark, trade secret, copyright, rights of privacy or publicity, or other proprietary right or intellectual property right of any party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭questionmark?

sugarman wrote: »
    I pay €130 a year for a season ticket and actually go to games

What season ticket is that cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Peter File

What season ticket is that cheap?

Must be a league of Ireland club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

inforfun wrote: »
    From the article

Yes, because sitting in a pub for a couple of hours will not cost anything.

drink miwadi sorted.

What a joke. Mentioning legal software is not a crime. Can't believe the moderation on here.

Qbittorrent.
    Utorrent.
    Transmission.
    Acestream.

Oh no, I'm breaking the law. Boards.ie are going to get sued because legal software was mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What a joke. Mentioning legal software is not a crime. Can't believe the moderation on here.

Qbittorrent.
    Utorrent.
    Transmission.
    Acestream.

Oh no, I'm breaking the law. Boards.ie are going to get sued because legal software was mentioned.

Torrents arent really a viable option for live sporting events

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ads by Google promoting stuff, haha!

VinLieger wrote: »
    Torrents arent really a viable option for live sporting events

My point is that my post saying Acestream was deleted. (And it by the way does operate on a torrent network. It's just a modified version of VLC.)

The mods may as well delete posts that mention Firefox since it can be used for illegal reasons. Delete all posts mentioning Google as well. Mentioning cars shouldn't be allowed either as people commit crimes with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement