Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Financial Reporting - Exam Notes

• 14-07-2018 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi everyone. Was hoping to gauge interest in a service here for something I've been thinking about doing for a while.

Basically, I was going to put together some financial reporting notes aimed at FAE and CAP 1/2 students. This would be to assist students providing them with high quality and compact notes for their exam folders and to take some of that work away from them. I was also thinking about selling the notes per standard and then having some deal on the full set for a certain price.

So, do you all think there would be a demand here for this?

Would you buy financial reporting notes specifically prepared for exam students? 2 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ACASlayer

Selling notes per standard? Beat it mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Hmm ok I honestly didn't expect as strong an opposition. I don't see the difference between someone selling grinds in a specific subject to authoring and selling exam focused notes?

Hmm ok I honestly didn't expect as strong an opposition. I don't see the difference between someone selling grinds in a specific subject to authoring and selling exam focused notes?

There’s plenty of FR notes going around for free. It’s not good business to sell when people have them for free.

There’s plenty of FR notes going around for free. It’s not good business to sell when people have them for free.

ACASlayer wrote: »

That makes sense I suppose, thanks for the feedback it's much appreciated.

The reason the idea popped into my head was I remember when doing my FAEs (and other exams) I remember there being almost too many notes flying about the place.

I thought a specific exam focused set of notes would be an attraction (similar to the notes provided by paid courses like chartered grinds etc). I suppose you do have the point that if one person buys they could just share it with everyone for free so not a good model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭HeinekenTicket

Beyond basic explanations of concepts and simple illustrative examples, 'notes' are not the main learning resource for an applied subject like financial accounting and reporting.  Any serious student should know that practising questions is the main determinant of success.  Plenty of student use tenjin software for this purpose - limitless supply of original question together with adaptive learning features. 
    The bottom line is that active learning (practising questions) will beat passive learning (reading someone else's notes) every time.
    This is intended as constructive feedback (not intended to trash any idea about how to improve accounting education, many aspects of which are still in the 1970s).

Beyond basic explanations of concepts and simple illustrative examples, 'notes' are not the main learning resource for an applied subject like financial accounting and reporting.  Any serious student should know that practising questions is the main determinant of success.  Plenty of student use tenjin software for this purpose - limitless supply of original question together with adaptive learning features. 
    The bottom line is that active learning (practising questions) will beat passive learning (reading someone else's notes) every time.
    This is intended as constructive feedback (not intended to trash any idea about how to improve accounting education, many aspects of which are still in the 1970s).

Thanks for the input, it's very helpful. I completely agree that practicing questions is the best way to learn the likes of financial reporting.

That's one of the reasons I thought a good set of exam reference notes would be helpful as it takes away the need for the student to prepare and collate them themselves, freeing up more time to practice questions and use the reference notes for practice questions.

Advertisement