Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milford Sheep

Options
  • 15-07-2018 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I like the look of Milford sheep and was thinking of purchasing a ram. Can anyone tell me more about them their experience etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thelegend1979

P164 and 165 of general sheep thread. Ive put up a bit of info about the breed there. Have two well marked ram lambs. March born and grass fed. About 44kg. Going on meal next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Thanks. Your insight is appreciated. A local lad I was talking to who also keeps them mentioned they are prolific, but hard fed during the winter. How has your experience been ?

I found body condition dipped a little more than ideal in late pregnancy but they were shy feeders if anything. Got meal for 3 weeks after lambing and made a great job of their lambs. Came out of the wool in good shape too so impressed overall. Going back up to Donegal for a few more this year.

I found body condition dipped a little more than ideal in late pregnancy but they were shy feeders if anything. Got meal for 3 weeks after lambing and made a great job of their lambs. Came out of the wool in good shape too so impressed overall. Going back up to Donegal for a few more this year.

Thanks. Great to hear that. I will purchase a ram, from your recommendation.. . One other question, how do the lambs grow of crossbred ewes ? As good as Suffolk or texel sired lambs ?

One thing you wont have a problem with the milford is growth rate as they are tall lean sheep. Off crossbred ewes the lambs can be a little bit narrow and leggy so dont expect a savage factory lamb off them. The quality and demand for the ewe lambs make up for it. Make sure you get a proper bred ram and not a brocky type.

• Advertisement

Just an update on the milford lambs. Im very pleased with the figures. i have 143 lambs sold out of 153. no meal fed. wethers went as forward stores. Lambs have averaged 99.34 which gives a gross margin per ewe of 175.84. With only 10 lambs left the figures wont alter much.They will need a few bags of meal tho.

Excellent results. Receiving 100e per lamb is excellent. Are the Milford ewes hard to keep in ? They are a bit wild right ?

I would say more lively than wild. Some hoggets i bought this year would walk up to you in the field. Our fencing is good so im not sure about them breaking out. Im finding it very hard to find any negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I would say more lively than wild. Some hoggets i bought this year would walk up to you in the field. Our fencing is good so im not sure about them breaking out. Im finding it very hard to find any negatives.

What kinda ram you puttin with them?

Milford rams. Majority of ewes are suffolk border leicester cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Sheepman2

Very maternal breeding behind the lambs

Yes there is. Might cross a suffolk ram with some milfords in future to breed a sharp black head ewe lamb and a good store wether. Intend to have all milford ewes eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Yes there is. Might cross a suffolk ram with some milfords in future to breed a sharp black head ewe lamb and a good store wether. Intend to have all milford ewes eventually.

You must have good feeding land because here in NW the Milford would be rated as a very ‘soft’ sheep ie hard fed.While they are prolific sheep they have very poor conformation and only last around 4 to 5 seasons breeding before they lose their teeth.However after saying that the Milford Ewe Lambs command premium prices every September as they have lovely heads.

Interesting to hear that. Havnt them long enough here to discover the negatives which every breed has. Lightish Hoggets i bought last year for 150 turned into the strongest ewes i have now so maybe its the ground that suits them here. How would you rate them against the mule?? I would think theyre a better ewe myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Jimbo789

What way are Milford sheep bred? Are they a pure breed or cross bred sheep? Would a big mule ewe be the most similar type of ewe to a Milford ewe?

Yes they are similar to a mule. Crossbred sheep but they are being bred pure in Donegal. Very hard to know the exact breeding. Scotch and Leicester somewhere in there i think.

Advertisement