Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying in first trimester

Options
  • 15-07-2018 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

I am just wondering if it is safe to fly during early pregnancy?

I am 5 weeks pregnant tomorrow and will be flying to France in 3 and half weeks for a family wedding (so will be almost 9 weeks gone when I travel). My doctor said it's fine but I have been reading a lot of mixed things online about it...

Is it safe to fly at this stage of my pregnancy? Could flying this early on harm the baby? Has anyone else flown in first trimester?

Thanks

Kelly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

kellymac28 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am just wondering if it is safe to fly during early pregnancy?

I am 5 weeks pregnant tomorrow and will be flying to France in 3 and half weeks for a family wedding (so will be almost 9 weeks gone when I travel). My doctor said it's fine but I have been reading a lot of mixed things online about it...

Is it safe to fly at this stage of my pregnancy? Could flying this early on harm the baby? Has anyone else flown in first trimester?

Thanks

Kelly

Hi there!
    I flew about 4 times in the first trimester of this pregnancy. It’s perfectly safe. I did wear flight socks to be extra safe as I’m prone to clotting issues and they are recommended in pregnancy. Make sure you keep hydrated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

I flew a few long haul flights just after I found out at 5 weeks and I was fine. I had a few cramps when flying and was fearful (it’s my first and I was hyper aware of every twinge But it was just natural implantation cramps). It’s not a nice stat but I always reminded myself of what my doctor told me in my first trimester...nearly 20-25% of pregnancies end in the first trimester and NOTHING you do will have caused that (provided you Avoid the obvious like drink, etc). Otherwise carry on and If the pregnancy is viable it will all work out. Hope you’re feeling ok and it all goes well for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its total safe. Wasn't the most comfortable for me as I had severe morning sickness but luckily short flight so I survived. Hopefully you won't get that.Please just make sure you have travel insurance that covers you. As previously post said 1 in 4 pregnancies end in 1st trimester. No one's fault + hopefully all will be well but just in case you need to visit a hospital make sure you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Yes perfectly safe to fly in first trimester. I flew long haul alone at 7 weeks! My only worry was being alone in a foreign country if I miscarried. Wear flight sights and stay hydrated, as pregnant women are at higher risk of developing a dvt. If you do have a bleed, anything more than a little spotting, when flying tell a steward as you will bleed a lot more quickly at altitude.

Advertisement