Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician costings

Options
  • 15-07-2018 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi can anybody help me out please.I need a rough figure of what to expect when being charged for the wiring of a new build please.Basically i need a price per point ie double socket and light switch as well as tv/data points if i am to supply the sockets/switches/light fixtures/tv/data outlets.The electrician will be supplying cable and doing the labour etc.Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This comes up a lot. A few points:

1) A lot more detail is required to get an answer that will be of any use.

2) Supplying second fix equipment yourself is generally a bad idea as it willl cost more, non-electrically trained people often select low quality materials that take longer to install. Also you pay VAT at the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

Just in the middle of it at the moment, heres the price list I was given.

LED FIRE RATED DOWNLIGHTER €90.00 (additional €5.00 for dimmable)
    (housing for same for air tightness if required in ceiling €20.00)
    TWIN SOCKET €65.00
    USB TWIN SOCKET€80.00
    TV POINT €60.00
    CAT 6 NETWORK POINT €75.00
    SUPPLY FOR GARDEN SHED TERMINATED UNDER SINK €100.00
    CABLE ONLY TO SHED 6mm sq CABLE ONLY €250.00
    LED 20W SENSOR LIGHT €150.00
    SHAVER LIGHT BATHROOM €95.00
    FROST WATCHER €160.00

ALL OF THE ABOVE PRICES ARE PLUS VAT@13.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Silane wrote: »
    Just in the middle of it at the moment, heres the price list I was given.

TWIN SOCKET €65.00
    USB TWIN SOCKET€80.00
    TV POINT €60.00
    SHAVER LIGHT BATHROOM €95.00
    FROST WATCHER €160.00

ALL OF THE ABOVE PRICES ARE PLUS VAT@13.5%.

Im a QS for an Electrical Company, i can back up the price of the above in that it would be fairly spot on.

Allow 300 for the consumer unit also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm not trying to be smart but the prices above don't mean a lot without more information. This is why:
    Silane wrote: »

The quality of lamps and light fittings vary quite a bit. A straight white downlighter (which can look good) is the about the cheapest. Something a bit more fancy can cost a lot more.
    TWIN SOCKET €65.00

Does this include chasing? Is chasing required (could be timber frame of slabbed) ? Unswitched cheap white plastic socket? Expensive, brushed chrome socket, switched? Metal back box, dry lining box, plastic box, wooden grounds? All of these can have a large impact on price.

USB TWIN SOCKET€80.00
    Ditto
    TV POINT €60.00
    Means little. RG6, suitable for 4K? Double wired to dish?
    Includes switch? 2nd fix network point type?

What type of supply? Is the shed 5 or 50m away? Either a great price or terrible.

Cable buried? Clipped to wall? Overhead? Distance to shed? Supply direct from distribution board?

A good sensor light such as a Stinel will cost about €125 just to buy. Therefore I suspect this is a low quality unit.

..........etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PVF

Ok Thanks very much.I understand every situation can be different.So does the price above for recessed light include from the distribution board to the switch and then on to the light?What if its a two way or intermediate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement