Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Deal Final Payment

• 15-07-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im hoping someone can answer this question as I have made a few calls to the HSE and Revenue and no one can point me in the right direction.
    Our father has been in the Fair Deal Scheme for the last 3 years and last week our sister who is the Care Representative received a letter from the HSE stating the outstanding monies are due to be paid which is not a problem.
    Our fathers home has been lying idle whilst he has been in the home and it has fallen into some disrepair, over the last year or so we have had a new kitchen and heating system installed as we are entitled to "Repair or Improvement of the Principal Residence" under she scheme.
    AFAIK the VAT from the work that was carried out in the principle property is deducted from the final bill for the Fair Deal Scheme.
    So who do we submit the receipts to, HSE or Revenue as they cant seem to answer the question.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Payton wrote: »
    Hi, Im hoping someone can answer this question as I have made a few calls to the HSE and Revenue and no one can point me in the right direction.
    Our father has been in the Fair Deal Scheme for the last 3 years and last week our sister who is the Care Representative received a letter from the HSE stating the outstanding monies are due to be paid which is not a problem.
    Our fathers home has been lying idle whilst he has been in the home and it has fallen into some disrepair, over the last year or so we have had a new kitchen and heating system installed as we are entitled to "Repair or Improvement of the Principal Residence" under she scheme.
    AFAIK the VAT from the work that was carried out in the principle property is deducted from the final bill for the Fair Deal Scheme.
    So who do we submit the receipts to, HSE or Revenue as they cant seem to answer the question.

Im not clear what you mean by final payment?
    Did your father avail of the nursing home loan and is revenue now collecting it?

Who paid for the work? Did it come from your father's savings?
    The guidelines don't really say anything about deductions in relation to repairs etc. It actually talks about interest on loans used for such repairs etc.

In any event whatever the rules are in relation to this particular issue the HSE rather than revenue is the correct agency to engage with. Your main point of contact should be the nursing home support office.

Revenue's only major role is the collection of the ancillary State support when it becomes due

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭blazard

if hes in a home why are u updating it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

Thank you for the replies.
    The family as in myself, brother and sister paid for the work as we can carry out the work that needs to be done according to the terms. It didn't come from his savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: Realdanbreen, do not spam questions across multiple threads. You can start a new thread instead of resurrecting zombie threads, and going off topic, but I think you can take it that no-one knows the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

Payton wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies.
    The family as in myself, brother and sister paid for the work as we can carry out the work that needs to be done according to the terms. It didn't come from his savings.

My experience of the Fair Deal scheme is that those on the front line of the HSE tend not to have the experience nor the intellect to answer questions that stray beyond what's provided for them on the HSE website. I posed a question to these guys that had a significant effect on myself and my family 2 years ago. I took their word as being final, only to find out that what was initially said to me was incorrect and misleading. The person who gave me the said advice has since left the HSE, so my recourse is limited.

OP..your fathers contribution to care was assessed on the value of his PRP (max 22.5%) at the time of his entering a nursing home. There is an indexing value attached to the ancillary loan part to fair deal, but Im sure any remedial or maintenance works could be discounted against the indexed value increase.

The fair deal is what it says..it is fair, but flawed. Ive gone through the system and its a complete pain in the arse...but it does work.

For me the most important thing is that my mother doesnt have to worry about a home she will never return to. She is getting the care she needs and myself and my kids get to spend stress free time with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Clytus wrote: »
    My experience of the Fair Deal scheme is that those on the front line of the HSE tend not to have the experience nor the intellect to answer questions that stray beyond what's provided for them on the HSE website. I posed a question to these guys that had a significant effect on myself and my family 2 years ago. I took their word as being final, only to find out that what was initially said to me was incorrect and misleading. The person who gave me the said advice has since left the HSE, so my recourse is limited.

OP..your fathers contribution to care was assessed on the value of his PRP (max 22.5%) at the time of his entering a nursing home. There is an indexing value attached to the ancillary loan part to fair deal, but Im sure any remedial or maintenance works could be discounted against the indexed value increase.

The fair deal is what it says..it is fair, but flawed. Ive gone through the system and its a complete pain in the arse...but it does work.

For me the most important thing is that my mother doesnt have to worry about a home she will never return to. She is getting the care she needs and myself and my kids get to spend stress free time with her.

Entering fair deal or going into a nurse home generally is huge decision in life and the financial and legal implications alone are massive, easily in the 50k per annum bracket. I would be seeking independent advice as well as advice from the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Just as an update to this thread. My mother passed away late last year and Ive just paid the final amount to the HSE/Revenue of just shy of €30k.

But what Ive just found out while re-reading the Fair Deal/Revenue guidance documents is that Im entitled to Tax Relief at the marginal rate on the money I paid myself out of my own funds - so the actual final bill will be €18k.

I thought this was important to point out, as no one mentioned it to me.

Advertisement