Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a table

• 15-07-2018 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

An oak kitchen table I bought a few months ago has cracked in a few places so I'm hoping to get a different table as a replacement. The table I'm returning has a good number of joints in it and there seems to be movement in different parts of the table along the joints. Would anyone have any tips please for what to watch out for when buying so that I get something that's of good quality? Am I basically looking for something with fewer panels or is there anything else I should watch out for? Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you buy the table new?
    are they refunding you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Yes, table bought new. The manager wasn't there when I called in but would be expecting a refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There must be some design fault in the table unless you left it next to a radiator.
    Watch out for 'breadboarded' table tops - where a board is joined at both ends to the top at right angles. A lot of old tables have this but of course they were never designed for centrally heated homes.
    Goods made in the 'Pacific Rim' ( which are nearly universal now ) can have a mixture of woods and so will move at different rates indoors. Finally look under the table an try to find brackets that will allow movement.
    For one off furniture consider a bespoke table ( we have cabinet makers in this country ) - more expensive certainly but you will get an heirlooom to pass on.:D

Advertisement