Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove this bulb?

Options
  • 15-07-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Bathroom light started flickering. Rented house - opened dome to expect 2D lightbulb but saw this instead.

o1l2tubl.jpg
    The label says "FLC 2x9W CN G23 230V-50Hz"

How do I remove the bulbs? Assume metal clip does something but don't want to force it.

Given there are two, is this likely to be a problem other than the bulbs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I'd say just give them a good pull and they should just come out can be tight fitting can't say I ever had to go at one with retaining clips,if you want to be extra careful just wear a pair of gloves.

They look old as you can see darkening on the ends more than likely a new tube will be fine just replace the two as it's easier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Thank you - will give that a go.

Should have clarified that both have started to flicker at once, if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just pull then straight out. I'd say it's only one of the lamps gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

A pair of gloves won't prevent you from getting zapped with 220 Volts, I suggest you bring the pic to one of the lighting guys in your local B&Q or wherever they would have a replacement fitting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stanford wrote: »
    A pair of gloves won't prevent you from getting zapped with 220 Volts, I suggest you bring the pic to one of the lighting guys in your local B&Q or wherever they would have a replacement fitting

Gloves are good advice, more risk of broken tube than exposure to mains there (assuming the OP has the good sense to make sure the switch is off).

I would trust a minimum wage B&Q warehouse operative about as far as I could throw them as far as being electrically competent in relation to this.

A new fitting is not required, just a pair of CFL lamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Thanks for the advice, all.

Pulling didn't work - in the end I used a biro cap to pry the stubborn retainer clip open which released the bulb.

New lightbulbs sorted the issue!

Advertisement