Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardwood Prices

Options
  • 15-07-2018 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi would anyone know up to date prices per tonne for hardwood? We mainly have

Ash
    Beech
    Chestnut
    Sycamore

but would also like to know prices per tonne for:

Alder
    Birch
    Cherry
    Elm
    Oak
    Poplar
    Walnut
    Yew

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

beya2009 wrote: »
    Hi would anyone know up to date prices per tonne for hardwood? We mainly have

Ash
    Beech
    Chestnut
    Sycamore

but would also like to know prices per tonne for:

Alder
    Birch
    Cherry
    Elm
    Oak
    Poplar
    Walnut
    Yew

Thanks in advance.

Are you selling the wood as seasoned planks or firewood ? There is a huge difference in price between them ( and I really hope you are not selling Yew for firewood ! ) Woodworkers would be happier with a price per cubic foot but that is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭beya2009

recipio wrote: »
    Are you selling the wood as seasoned planks or firewood ? There is a huge difference in price between them ( and I really hope you are not selling Yew for firewood ! ) Woodworkers would be happier with a price per cubic foot but that is up to you.

Hi thanks for the reply and neither. About 50 acres of land packed with different species with some probably there for at least half a century. We have an interested party mainly looking for beech wood for furniture and is willing to offer €100 per tonne. We have another interested party looking for ash for hurleys and willing to pay €250-400. We just want to get info on prices in today's current market as obviously good to know before selling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they offering that much, supplied? or will they select and cut what they want?

i won't be able to offer you guidance on what price to ask, but i suspect in this situation, the devil is very much in the detail.

are they offering that much, supplied? or will they select and cut what they want?

i won't be able to offer you guidance on what price to ask, but i suspect in this situation, the devil is very much in the detail.

Yes they proposed to select and cut. Will need to mark the ones they want. We have a huge collection. We have only been selling seasoned firewood over the years but didn't realize the value of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Can you put up some pictures of the trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

beya2009 wrote: »
    Yes they proposed to select and cut. Will need to mark the ones they want. We have a huge collection. We have only been selling seasoned firewood over the years but didn't realize the value of this too.

Have you tried contacting woodturner's associations.
    By the sounds of things you have a processing facility of sorts.
    A couple of woodturners I know use/collect windfalls/drops of timber in varying quality.
    I'd say they would love to source something more regular

there is a house for sale in Cork with a plantation of ash ' that will mature in nine years ' and will apparently be worth 100e each - just for comparison.

Can you put up some pictures of the trees

Yeah sure will take a few pictures today and put them up.

Have you tried contacting woodturner's associations.
    By the sounds of things you have a processing facility of sorts.
    A couple of woodturners I know use/collect windfalls/drops of timber in varying quality.
    I'd say they would love to source something more regular

I searched on google...is that Irish Woodturners Guild? If it is I couldn't find a number but they have a contact form.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they'd have various chapters around the country - it'd be a matter of finding the one closest to you.

• Advertisement

These are some of the ash ones and apparently smaller ones suitable for hurley sticks and the bigger ones good for sawmills.

More pics

Last one

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

It's going to take some time to fell those with that axe! :)

Zebbedee wrote: »
    It's going to take some time to fell those with that axe! :)

lol yeah

Nice trees.I know the hurley makers have to source ash in the UK and they need to excavate the whole butt to get the curvature for hurley boss.
    Sycamore is a lovely wood to work but need to be seasoned on its end grain to avoid sticker marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Where are you based? I'm always after hardwood for woodturning.

Advertisement