If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main Tv advice

Options
  • 15-07-2018 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Looking for a new TV which will be the main set for the house placed in the lounge

It will be in the corner of the room in an alcove unit with bookshelves on either side and above it.

The space between side pillars is 920mm but if the panel extends beyond this a bit it shouldn't be an issue.

A 43" might be the limit but I would like to go as wide as I can

Picture quality, sound and smart tv functions (netflix addicts in this house) are essential. Budget approx €800-900

Would like option to record programmes as I rarely get a chance to watch anything until late at night but a separate box might be needed for that

Any help or guidance on options appreciated?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

arrowman wrote: »
    Looking for a new TV which will be the main set for the house placed in the lounge

It will be in the corner of the room in an alcove unit with bookshelves on either side and above it.

The space between side pillars is 920mm but if the panel extends beyond this a bit it shouldn't be an issue.

A 43" might be the limit but I would like to go as wide as I can

Picture quality, sound and smart tv functions (netflix addicts in this house) are essential. Budget approx €800-900

Would like option to record programmes as I rarely get a chance to watch anything until late at night but a separate box might be needed for that

Any help or guidance on options appreciated?
    Hi Arrowman.

Thanks for the post.

Lets start with the record feature. There are several televisions that can perform this nut they record onto an external HDD and not onto the TV itself. You would need to purchase the external HDD yourself.
    You can also use a separate freeview/Saorview HD box. We stock the Humax range which really the only brand we rate.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=humax

An 800 - 900 Euro budget will get you a very good 43" television.

Starting point woudl be the NEW Samsung 40NU7100 coming in at 652.00 euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203431-402627.aspx

Panasonci have their NEW 43FX650 priced at 749.00 euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203236-401903.aspx

Next in the Samsung range would be the 43NU7400 priced at 779.00 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203366-401505.aspx

Sony enter with their NEW 43XF7073 priced at 799.00
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203351-401553.aspx

Sony then also have their NEW top of the line 43" the 43XF8596 at th etop of your budget coming in at 899.00 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203205-401572.aspx

All of the above include our 6 year guarantee and delivery.

Let me know if any catch your eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Thanks Kenny for that quick reply- starting to look at tv's in a lot of detail now while trying to flick between gas, tennis and the world cup- not easy 😅

No LGs on that list??? From my reading so far it seems that OLED was the in thing - that and Dolby vision and dynamic HDR.

I don't fully understand the significance of these yet by the way

Thanks Kenny for that quick reply- starting to look at tv's in a lot of detail now while trying to flick between gas, tennis and the world cup- not easy 😅

No LGs on that list??? From my reading so far it seems that OLED was the in thing - that and Dolby vision and dynamic HDR.

I don't fully understand the significance of these yet by the way
    Hey Arrowman.

There is a 43" from the NEW LG range the LF 43UK6300 priced at 629.00 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203459-401857.aspx

OLED is by far the superior technology but only starts so far at a 55" screen. Which unfortunately would not fit the space you have.
    The LG OLED55B7 is currently priced at 1449.00 Euro and is the current starting point for OLED.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202521-oled55b7v.aspx

OK thanks - that's plenty of choice. I'm a bit bamboozled by the different features of all these. The last TV I bought was when I got married 13 years ago and my wife picked it cause it looked nice.

Anyway I am leaning towards the Samsung at this stage - not sure why though.
    I have read that the LG has an IPS screen which is not rated great for picture quality particularly the black colour (i hope I'm not doing it a disservice here). LG are well known for having a good smart interface which was why I was curious about their sets.
    I know I'm not a serious telly addict and I just want a set that will last me another 13 years (maybe wishful thinking) and that will give me a good picture for sport and the odd film. It will be sitting in the very corner of the room as as I rarely get the seat in front of the box anymore a good picture at a wide viewing angle would be useful

I presume I can hook the set up to the internet via wifi and I think that I can plug an external drive into it to record content if I need to- based on your earlier comment, Kenny. Does the Samsung allow be to schedule using its own operating system?

OK thanks - that's plenty of choice. I'm a bit bamboozled by the different features of all these. The last TV I bought was when I got married 13 years ago and my wife picked it cause it looked nice.

Anyway I am leaning towards the Samsung at this stage - not sure why though.
    I have read that the LG has an IPS screen which is not rated great for picture quality particularly the black colour (i hope I'm not doing it a disservice here). LG are well known for having a good smart interface which was why I was curious about their sets.
    I know I'm not a serious telly addict and I just want a set that will last me another 13 years (maybe wishful thinking) and that will give me a good picture for sport and the odd film. It will be sitting in the very corner of the room as as I rarely get the seat in front of the box anymore a good picture at a wide viewing angle would be useful

I presume I can hook the set up to the internet via wifi and I think that I can plug an external drive into it to record content if I need to- based on your earlier comment, Kenny. Does the Samsung allow be to schedule using its own operating system?
    Hi Arrowman,

Kenny is off today so I hope you don;t mind me replying on his behalf. You can connect via wifi and also connect an external hard drive to record. The Samsungs do not have Freeview but do have their own EPG for channel programming etc.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi David,

Excuse my ignorance here but is not having Freeview a negative with the Samsung 43NU7400??
    I live in the south but I'm only a couple of miles from the border so might Freeview be an advantage to have??

Any other pros and cons for the Samsung 43NU7400 over the Sony and Panasonic 43" models?

Hi David,

Excuse my ignorance here but is not having Freeview a negative with the Samsung 43NU7400??
    I live in the south but I'm only a couple of miles from the border so might Freeview be an advantage to have??

Any other pros and cons for the Samsung 43NU7400 over the Sony and Panasonic 43" models?
    Hey Arrowman.

Samsung do not use the words freeview any longer and call it Samsung TV. It will still pick up the freeview channels but uses Samsung's own EPG and not the freeview one.
    It might be possible to get freeview in your area but I unfortunately could not guarantee that.

Each manufacturer has slight differences.
    A Sony at the same price point as the 43NU7400 would be the Sony 43XF7073SU priced at £649.00 Very little difference between it and the Samsung. Both great television.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203351-401553.aspx

Panasonic offer up the 43XF650 coming in also at £649.00. Again very similar in spec with added features like google assist and Amazon Alexa Compatible.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203236-401903.aspx

You would be more than happy with any of these three televisions.

Let me know your thoughts.

That's grand - I understand re the Freeview

Can these TV's link in to wifi enabled speakers such as the Denon HEOS 1 I got from yourselves a while back?? Good speaker by the way - getting plenty of use from it with Spotify

That's grand - I understand re the Freeview

Can these TV's link in to wifi enabled speakers such as the Denon HEOS 1 I got from yourselves a while back?? Good speaker by the way - getting plenty of use from it with Spotify
    Hi Arrowman.

As far as I know they can not connect to a bluetooth speaker unfortunately.
    I cant see any mention for Bluetooth in their spec's.

All these TV's are NEW releases so I have not had the change to get them in and test them out just yet.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.